Frightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Frightliner- Back to work

oxyjansen said:
Do you have a background in sheet metal fab?

Thanks for the positive remarks!
I have a degree in a product design and that is one of my trades so I have experience with a lot of different materials and methods. Mostly just learned by mistake after mistake, so I guess I have a background in making mistakes :lol:

Spent the whole day fitting and adjusting parts... Just details...
DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1109.jpg

I know exactly what you mean. I worked in the trades for years, but am new to bikes, and fitting modern parts to old bikes, or simply not knowing the true geometry and fit of certain parts on certain bikes isn't making my project any easier. I've managed to get polishing down pretty well, but painting is still a big curve to get things right.

My build: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40402&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Your biking is looking pretty incredible, nice work!
tvc15 said:
oxyjansen said:
Do you have a background in sheet metal fab?

Thanks for the positive remarks!
I have a degree in a product design and that is one of my trades so I have experience with a lot of different materials and methods. Mostly just learned by mistake after mistake, so I guess I have a background in making mistakes :lol:

Re: Frightliner- devil is in the details

Lookin killer so far! I guess we both have something in common, I have a knack for making many mistakes & learning from each one. That's how I learned most of what I know (which ain't much)! I'm liking this build! 8)

Looks like you've locked up the "Best use of a Murray Frame" award, congrates! The ST theme is spot on.

Parts finally back from the plater so I did the final assembly of the front end. The revised homemade lens is looking pretty good to me, will turn the lights on tonight and post later. Decided not to use the front fender, it made it look less sleek. Still working on the jet mount, fuel and air tanks. Also preparing graphics... man I have a lot left to do!

DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

Re: Frightliner- chromium

Any chance you could make a lens cover like that for me when the build off is over???

100_0129.jpg

i really like how heavy your bike looks in the front! It looks like the front is doing all the work and the back is along for the ride!

imagearchy said:
i really like how heavy your bike looks in the front! It looks like the front is doing all the work and the back is along for the ride!

The concept was that the jet in the rear is pushing the bike forward so the front end needs to be more robust. The tire in the rear is 1.5 compared to 2.2 in the front... now I am wondering if it is just goofy looking... Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Frightliner- closer- the jet is next

I think it flows well. Even though the rear wheel is thinner, it still has a lot of visual mass. Don't over think it, you have an awesome build there!!!!! I am jealous!

HOW MANY VOTES DO WE GET?!? THIS BIKE IS SICK!! THIS BUILDOFF IS GOING TO BE HARD ON EVERYONE NOW...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

I like this bike end to end, top to bottom!
Since you asked, would one those Bontagers fit the rear wheel/fender? I guess more importantly, do you have time to find out? :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey TVC15,

I really have enjoyed following your build process.
I had to go back to your first drawing and you’re A,B,C paint options to see how your latest iteration compares.

I understand your direction for the forward balance with jet out back.
I agree the rear tire assembly (including the black fender) have a lot of mass but they are balanced by the large area of the silver spoke covers and the black tire/black fender.

I have to admit that I think the front tire/wheel combo looks too heavy for the rest.
I understand about the front fender but with that gone and the wheel now black (versus silver before) it adds a lot more mass up front.
Could a silver rim up front balance the larger front tire?

I guess I’d say too, could a Bontrager fit in the rear?
Though even with a larger tire in back, the black fender might be the defining outer area.
Maybe the whole balance will change with the jet mounted.

Of course, this most important thing is (as Dr T says) do you have time to find out?

Just my $.02

Really cool bike!
I can’t wait to “steal” a bunch of your ideas for my next build.
Good Luck.

If I may so, I would like throw in my two cents too.
I have to agree with Doc and MplsCoaster about mounting The Bontager on the rear, mostly because I believe you´re trying to give this bike a racer look.

You´re mounting a jet engine on the rear.
If you take a look at all jet propelled cars, they all have big massive tires at the rear, skinny small ones at front.
This corresponds to a logical premise, you need to support all that power with big back wheels. Therefore I believe that having the bike looking the way around may be strange for the eye.
Just my opinion, and I throw it in cause I love you build and I trust your grand skills, I hope it helps.
And relax, you´ll find the time to finish :wink:

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with Gdcast. True jet and rocket cars run skinnys all the way around because the tires only have to roll. If they run anything thicker at the back, it's just to support the weight of the engine while at rest. Front wheel does 80% of the braking duty, and must provide guidance for all that thrust. I love the skinny at the rear - with the discs in place, it acts like a vertical aero/gyroscopic stabilizer... it doesn't need to provide actual traction.

LOVING THIS BUILD!

Latest posts

Back