Fresh and not so fresh...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So, I made some accidental bike purchases the last couple weeks and I'm already at (beyond) maximum capacity. This weekend is going to be an attempt at reorganizing...starting with my 'hobby' (junk storage) room inside...cuz it's raining outside and the garage will be nightmareish.

Some rollers, including some of the accidental purchases :bigsmile: (thanks jsparks and Chuck)...
IMG_20180217_155533067.jpg

...some frames (some interesting ones in there)...
IMG_20180217_155418239.jpg

...and the parts table...
IMG_20180217_155501372.jpg

IMG_20180217_155511559.jpg

...and some still new in boxes (MacNeil 265c 29er, Redline PL26, SE Big Ripper)...
IMG_20180217_155544288.jpg

Maybe by posting such an embarrassing hoard publicly, I'll be encouraged to change my hoarding ways :shake:

Jason

You got your hands full, but in a good way. Have fun

Thank you Jason.
You just made me feel better about my current over flow:D

So many awesome frames in there!!
Is that freshly painted green frame in the back right the one @Robertk had up for sale a bit back?? Did you get the forks with it with the canti mounts??
Can’t wait to see what you build on the champ and skyway!
What frame is that camel back with derailleur hanger and canti bosses?
And what frame is that behind the skyway? I have one that looks similar that was sold to me as ‘unknown’. My guess was Elgin.

Great stash all around man!!!

Thank you Jason.
You just made me feel better about my current over flow:D
Happy to provide that service...if you send me your overflow maybe I could help others by being an even better cautionary example :grin:
So many awesome frames in there!!
Is that freshly painted green frame in the back right the one @Robertk had up for sale a bit back?? Did you get the forks with it with the canti mounts??
Yes and yes. I think I'll disappoint some people with that one. I got it to build a Klunker for the wife, figured I go with a lot of purple Anno as she likes the jewel tones. Made the mistake of showing her some pics of the oil slick/jet fuel stuff, as in, 'look at this awful stuff'...well, she likes it :doh:.
Can’t wait to see what you build on the champ and skyway!
The Champion is one of the 'continuation' frames... supposedly original jigs and tubing cut in '82. It will be all blacks and chromes. Will have a bit more of a modern vibe as I don't want to misrepresent it as being a real survived 45 years original.

I'm a bit perplexed on the Skyway, I would have preferred chrome...but, by the time they went on sale those were looooong gone :nod:. Every combo of red and/or blue anno with a white T/A has been done many times over. A white frame really limits the possible color palettes.
What frame is that camel back with derailleur hanger and canti bosses?
That took some research to discover. CL buy...all I saw was aluminum and camelback, and I was hooked. Turns out it is a 'NYC Bikes Camelback', and I believe they still sell them.
And what frame is that behind the skyway? I have one that looks similar that was sold to me as ‘unknown’. My guess was Elgin.
That particular one is a 1939-ish Derby, made for pep boys (ack, spit)...kind of an upscale Murray, same as the Mercury.
Great stash all around man!!!
Thanks!
Jason

That’s not embarrassing, I’m jealous. I’d hate to see my place if I didn’t have a wife and kids, lol.
I don't have anything with the visual impact of the Packard...and you're selling it, I don't think you have any cause to be jealous of my motley crew :blush:. I texted my kids the pics above, and they replied with comments about how PO'd thier mom would be, but, really she is fine with it. She knows the only way I'm going to get stuff out of her areas (back porch) is by organizing my area. Of course, I didn't dare leave anything out overnight :shake:.

Jason

What is the quality level like on that Champion?

I've seen the Ebay auctions for them, but haven't seen much discussion on whether they are a good buy or not.

On the Champion, my only complaint was that the seatmast sticker was applied very skewed...but, got back in touch and got a replacement without hassle. It looks legit from tip to stern...welds are nice (supposed to have been done by Sal, I believe) finish is good.

I'm mostly a fairly cheap guy when it comes to bikes. The spendiest bike by far I've gotten is my STR29. I've never regretted that purchase, regardless of the less that perfect welds, and the crank arm bolt that fell out somewhere never to be seen again. It is what it is...a giant modern tribute to a little pioneering bike and a great racer. A blast to ride and great looks.

Now, the Champion... when I unboxed it. I experienced some buyers remorse. Nothing to do with quality or anything else like that. Just the reality that these two chunks of steel totalling roughly 7lbs cost 2/3rds the amount of my complete STR29. The further revelation that to make it a complete, I had another twenty-some pounds of parts to purchase, which is definitely going to put it beyond my STR cost :confused:.

But, cool frame and I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon (probably ever).

Jason

It's the one jsparks had up for sale... couldn't let it pass without getting an offer in on it :thumbsup:

Jason

JS Sparks makes some really cool bikes. An white Dynoglide I bought from his is one of my favorite bikes. Take it around the neighborhood all the time.
fc66f1ecf1272867d52029f3b1fa8af9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back