Freebird

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG

So I'm building another rat from scratch using nothing but spare parts. Cost, I'll assume, will be no more than about $20.

I'm painting this one. The person I bought it from awhile ago sprayed some textures baby blue on it. I assume it was a build for his girlfriend that he never finished. Not sure what color(s) it will end up, I just know I'll be hand painting some of it.

The first picture shows a different bike, but in the background to the right shows the frame and parts I'll be using. That was a mock up for a build for my son, but I ended up building him something else.

The second picture is after I did some prep work on the frame. I laid some paint, but nothing picture worthy. It's just not my style to do any paint, but this one needs it and I could use some more experience.

I've got a one off spring fork, a 70s free spirit men's frame, and some 26x1 3/8" wheels. Everything will be improvised along the way.

Wish me luck.

Luck wish have the same color columbia commuter circa ups haha good luck

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

IMG_0976.JPG

Made some progress last night putting the cranks on. Of course, I realize the chainwheel is pointed the wrong direction after it's installed.

So far, I have sprayed a few layers of primer and smoothed everything out, pressed the headset cups in, and installed BB and crank. Everything is used, old, and cannabalized.

I have decided to build the whole bike and work out all bugs before I do a proper paint job on it. There will probably be some cable stays that need to come off, so I don't want to go too crazy yet.

Headset parts have been mocked up and are degreasing right now. I'll try to install the fork and wheels tonight and update.

Lookin good so far. Best painting advice I can give is to warm the can. Set it out in the sun. Once winter comes, a big gulp cup filled with hot water, or a bowl. Let the can sit in there, shake, sit, until the whole can and paint are warmed up. Flows out so nuch nicer. Dont try to get it all in one pass.

Latest posts

Back