Free Agent BMX Build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to sneak 1 more build in before the deadline. Follow along for some BMX assembly.

Thought I was done buying bikes, you guys know how that goes. Saw this frame on Craigslist, it kept popping up, called the guy and it was a 21" top tube, my favorite size. Looking up some specs and it's full chromoly, good geometry. Checked it out and the chrome was perfect. Had to grab it.

Best I can tell it's a 96-97. 98 they went to aluminum frames. Pre 96 most of the frames had center pull brake bridge mounted brakes.
20170220_193956.jpg

Last edited:
Basic plan:
Zac30 rims, GT Mohawk hubs (black), old velo seat(black) Promax v brakes, 3 pc crank(black), KMC chain that's on it, Redline forks(flat black), GT piston stem(black), Dyno bars(chrome) or Schwinn XS bars(black). Either FIT 1.95 tires new, or Comp 3 copy tires staggered 2.125, 1.75 new. All this stuff is on the shelf.

Need:
Seat post 25.6 - goofy size
45t Chainring or spider for a few of the chainrings I already have.

Challenges:
Forks I want to use are 1 1/8, frame is 1". I've read thru the threads on the conversion, looks straightforward, need to see what's in the bag of bearings to make it work.

Didn't repaint anything, just wax as assembled.

20mm spindle was an issue again, regular cranks shims don't fit. Got some hardened 3/4 washers in various thickness, and made a quick pass around the inner diameter with die grinder.

Waiting on seat post, need to clean, grease, true the wheels.

I've got some chrome dyno chromoly forks, not sure I'm digging the flat black. The redlines are noticeably lighter, so they got the nod for now.

That is a nice frame, and the list of parts sounds good!
I was happy to find the frame, 21" top tube, great chrome, price was very right too.

I have the Zac30/GT mohawk or Sun ZX25 with specialized bmx hubs. Both are quality single wall 36h silver rims with black hubs. So either set may go on.

It'll be a few days before I can tear into the rims and get this moving again.

Look at this dinger.
20170319_184821.jpg

Zac 30 rear straightened up well, has some scratches and a little dull, but it'll ride.

Front had the sidewall caved, and I buckled it while trying to straighten it. Traded some chain tensioners for another Zac30, pulled the decal moved it to the new rim, laced it up today.

Hubs rebuilt.

Got a Park pin spanner coming to rebuild the Freewheel, tired of buying a new one for every bike, got a pile of used ACS free wheels to freshen up.

New seat post 25.6 arrived. Weird size. Got an old Velo seat mounted to it.

Freewheel rebuilds... something I have never had the patience for. All those tiny balls....

But yeah, fix it before replace it!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Not much different than a hub, getting the cover off is the worst part. I have a growing pile of free wheels, all spin and work well, just sound dry.

Just bought a couple big washers today, going to make a little fixture to clamp them in, seems like you need 3 hands to disassemble. The park pin spanner doesnt fit over the park freewheel tool to hold it steady and align with the pins. I'll post up some pics.

Freewheel rebuilds, blah, even building a little fixture to clamp it up, I still cold only get 1 of them apart. $10 doesn't sound too bad. I submerged them in 90w gear lube, overnight soak and just kept spinning them, quieted down and rolled smooth, don't know how long it will last.

Went for a test ride today, really a good feeling bike, and frame, I already want a 9" rise bar. Think I'll get some redline monsters on order, they're one of the few chrome bars in that size that are chromoly and are under $50.

Got a new set of FIT FAF 1.95 blackwall tires on it. The comp 3 knock offs would have looked more period correct, the FIT are definitely a street tire. Since mounting and riding the new school 100 psi tires, the old 40 psi knobby just don't get it. Think I'll save those for a dirt specific set up.

Just need to choose some grips and run the brake cable, pads are already set up. I've got a set of lock on grips that may just work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back