Frankly my Deere, I don't give a John! (Tractor Trike. MBBO Class 2)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea how the old pedal tractors did the steering, never seen one in person...
028.jpg

I believe some probably have little pinion gears like your picture or maybe even a u-joint. One common method is basically the same as a go-cart. Imagine the steering column having a short Pittman arm but with a direct link to the spindle arm instead of through a tie rod. Scroll down to step 5, same principal cheap and easy, common type.
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Peddle-Tractor/

Wow, that is incredibly simple. I wonder how much play they have, looks like the slot is slightly wider the further away it is from the pivot to allow for the angle on the rod, smart thinking.

Maybe I am over thinking my plan... Would not be the first time...

I believe some probably have little pinion gears like your picture or maybe even a u-joint. One common method is basically the same as a go-cart. Imagine the steering column having a short Pittman arm but with a direct link to the spindle arm instead of through a tie rod. Scroll down to step 5, same principal cheap and easy, common type.
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Peddle-Tractor/
No pics, but the pedal tractor at my folks place (easy 60-70years old) uses a u-joint I think.

I'm still trying to make progress but the temperature is not helping here, I might be out of the competition...

That's a shame :(

But I don't blame you with the temperatures you've been getting over there. I heard somewhere got to 49ºC. :whew::whew:

Glen.

Whoa! I just did the conversion to F. 120 degrees! That is extreme. Even if you are welding in flip flops.

Maybe if it can't be finished now, you can keep us updated with some progress reports in the future. Sure is a cool build, Luke!

I'm still trying to make progress but the temperature is not helping here, I might be out of the competition...

You get my vote whether or not you finish, Luke.

furyus

You get my vote whether or not you finish, Luke.

furyus
Whoa! I just did the conversion to F. 120 degrees! That is extreme. Even if you are welding in flip flops.

Maybe if it can't be finished now, you can keep us updated with some progress reports in the future. Sure is a cool build, Luke!
Thanks Guys!
That's a shame :(

But I don't blame you with the temperatures you've been getting over there. I heard somewhere got to 49ºC. :whew::whew:

Glen.
That was not here, but we got awful close!!

Just far too hot to be welding and cutting, plus we have had more fire ban days than usual!

Pretty much given up on finishing the build by the deadline, just been trying to get the shed done...

Was a bit cooler today:

IMG_20190123_170102532.jpg

So decided to try hang some sheets, ended up dragging the portable air conditioner out just to have it blowing cold air at me :cool: :

IMG_20190123_145416646.jpg

I managed to get a few sheets up before giving up and going inside for a shower and sit in the real air conditioning...

They are predicting the temperatures to go up again by the end of the week. :doh:

I work outside in the summer here building decks, or remodeling or fences or whatever. Kind of a "Hammer Jack" or "Jack of all Trades" what have you. Anyway, two things make it all bearable. 1 is a popup awning for a little shade and the other is a squirrel cage fan. Those things move some air. Often when someone gets a new furnace you can get the fan out of it for next to nothing. On a nice heavy extension cord with an outlet or two in a handy box wired on the side, it really is a useful thing. Get you one of those Luke, and you'll never go without one again.

Carl.

Might be a fair wait in Australia. Not many furnaces anywhere in my experience. We don’t do heating very well here - it’s all about keeping cool.
Gotcha, didn't know how far south ya'all were. I just knew our seasons are just about opposite. We're looking to set some records for cold here in Illinois over the next couple days...

Carl.

Crud, it was exciting looking at this from scratch tonight and seeing your plans and progress. What a bummer though!!! I sure hope you finish this when it cools down brother! Sorry it's so bloody hot down there :(

Thanks everyone!
The weather really threw me a spanner and cost me my motivation.

Hopefully the new shed build will make it possible to work more days in the future, heat will still be an issue always though due to the level of clothing required for welding!

Arc burn is no fun!

Latest posts

Back