Frankenmaggot: 30s Huffman?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been told this is a rare mid 30s Huffman frame. If anyone can chime in and verify or dispute this please do.
IMG_0506.JPG

It has about 4 layers of paint on it, the last looks like it might have been lacquer over enamel as it is badly wrinkled. I like the look so I decided to take my worst looking parts and build a maggot bike. It is badges as a Zenith a department store brand bike.
IMG_0528 1.JPG

I had a 24 inch skip tooth bike I stripped and decided to use the chain wheel from it because it has a smaller number of teeth, good for the hills around here. I used a dog leg crank I had in my stuff. Pedals came from my stuff.
IMG_0529.JPG

The seat post is 5/8 and threaded so there is not a lot of adjustment. I has a jam nut to keep it in place but I doubt it will keep it from turning ; i will probably have a chronic problem with a twisted post.
IMG_0530.JPG

The handle bars and gooseneck came from an old pre war CWC girls bike. I doubt they were original to the CWC but they are crusty.
IMG_0531.JPG

The seat was bad so I disassembled it and welded the springs straight. Someone had bent the rails to accommodate a different seat post. I straightened it as best I could and hopefully I can find the right clamp parts in my junk.
IMG_0532.JPG

I have a drop center rim laced to a rebuilt New Departure skip tooth coaster and a new departure front wheel. The front wheel is a little tocoed out so I may use another wheel if I can't true it, just to keep it simple. I am planning to put NOS Schwinn Typhoon Tires on it. I think they will fit as they are marked 26 x 2.125.

Snyder built, same as the Hawthorne Zep (minus the fork lock), Rollfast Fastback Sport, and many others. That is a one year only frame with the collet seatpost ('36?). Rustjunkie is the man to ask.

Ha, ha. Just saw your other build. Same frame different year!

Latest posts

Back