Frame types?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's been discussed before, or if I've asked before, and I haven't seen many mentioned in general conversations, but...

I know cantilevered frames, like Cranbrooks, Earth Cruisers, Santa Fes. Which are my favorite. But is there a name for the frame style such as my Drifter¹, or Worksman bikes use? And is there a name for bikes like the LaJolla, what looks like a cantilevered frame sans the two bars, I thought about false or faux cantilever for those.

I am sure someone can give you better, more detailed info than I, but I always thought Worksman-styled frames were called "straightbar" frames, and frames with a curved top tube but without cantilevers extending from the seatstays were called "camelback" frames. I love the Schwinn Speedster and Collegiate frames that look like that, and I have heard lots of people refer to them that way.
20180809_075931.jpg

Not sure on the LaJolla, since it has that extra brace between the top and down tubes... I would be tempted to call that a camelback too.

I tend to agree that bikes like the LaJolla are a modern interpretation of the classic camelback frame. One thing they are NOT is a cantilever, since that paradigm requires the seat stays extend, uninterrupted, from dropout to downtube. I suppose bikes such as the Schwinn Skipper/Typhoon are a subset of the cantilever design.

More three bar sub-types :grin:

To the best of my knowledge, parallel curved bars are often called 'Double Bar' or 'Rainbow'...
2fabe42ce63f6a167e4f5f935ba0acda.jpg

...and similar, but with the top tube flowing into a straight seat stay are often referred to as 'Zeppelins' or 'Zeps' as well as 'Fastbacks'...
20180418_151441.jpg

...not to be confused with a Schwinn fastback Sting Ray...
1972-schwinn-stingray-fastback.jpg

...which is actually a camelback :grin:

I didn't think there were so many frame types. Some I've heard of before.

Since five-bars were mentioned...

5 bar.jpg

Monark 5-bar

prewar-late-30s-monark-bar-frame_1_fb8adae41333a7f567b500d3e0a32e61.jpg

frame/fork, since with tank and angle it is hard to make out the five bars.

bihaw385bar15.jpg

Hawthorne 5-bar, also made by Monark (they were contemporary with each other). There was somehow a falling out between Wards and Monark at this time, so Wards continued to offer a five bar frame, but made by Snyder and CWC instead (the Snyder looks a lot like the Monark built Hawthorne 5-bar...haven't seen the CWC version, but suspect it looks pretty much the same as well).

More three bar sub-types :grin:

To the best of my knowledge, parallel curved bars are often called 'Double Bar' or 'Rainbow'...
View attachment 96008
...and similar, but with the top tube flowing into a straight seat stay are often referred to as 'Zeppelins' or 'Zeps' as well as 'Fastbacks'...
View attachment 96009
...not to be confused with a Schwinn fastback Sting Ray...
View attachment 96010

...which is actually a camelback :grin:
Lookin for a rainbow for my next build.

Don't forget the Bowden Spacelander.

2001.36_SL1.jpg

Latest posts

Back