"FOR SALE" FORUM: PET PEEVES

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by VonFink, Jun 21, 2012.

1. VonFink

VonFink

0   0   0

How many times have you seen somebody post "Local Only" and not mention a location (and no location in their profile either)? I keep seeing this one over and over.
  2. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

There's a lot of paranoid people out there, wouldn't want you hunting them down for their parts, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in Marietta GA, come on by and visit anytime!

Cheers,
    Dr. T
  3. dos cruiser

dos cruiser

0   0   0

Steve,
    Is there a way to make people do an intro before they can post? That would have a bullet that has to be filled in with things Like your name, location and a short bio. to help everyone welcome people on to the site and help guys put rides together that would bring RRBs in a more community mind riderhood. I think it would help people find each other faster and cut down on post of people asking " is there an body in my area that would to get together for a ride". I've never try putting together a site like this before, so I'm just throwing out a brain fart. Sorry.

I know most of the guys in my area, but we do have new people coming to our bike community each year.
  4. CCR

CCR Certified Man-Child Moderator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Report it and we will delete it, I honestly think this is the best way to handle it, I think there is a better chance they will learn how to post by the rules this way as showing / telling and reminding them doesnt seem to be effective for most.
  5. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Moderator

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Yep...Uncle Stretch has been ordered to delete on sight all for sale posts that don't follow for sale section rules.

He really likes doing it too. :lol:
  6. Uncle Stretch

Uncle Stretch Moderator

0   0   0

Glad you like me. I'm Steve's....Rat Rod's uncle. I sorta keep a low profile lately. I'm almost always on.... incognito style. Mess up on the for sale section and I'm on it like a chicken on a june bug. Oh I do any profanity or bad taste deletes too. :roll:
  7. big kountry

big kountry

0   0   0

I'm in Ocilla Ga. an I wish there was more people in my area that rode but around here its golf carts an 4wheelers so its just me an my son riding around town but we look 8) on our cruisers
  8. A.S.BOLTNUT

A.S.BOLTNUT Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

I got a feeling who started this but it really hits a nerve when someone puts on ther post

''SOLD''SOLD''SOLD'' :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. outskirtscustoms

outskirtscustoms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
    Even if you are paranoid about people hunting you down for your bike parts at least be vague and give us some idea. It's not like we're asking for your address. If you're paranoid put something like this:

Kokomo - Still tough to find one individual in a fairly good size town
    North Central Indiana - tough to find even what town I'm in
    Central Indiana - Little more secure
    50 miles from Indianapolis - Doesn't say which direction but gives a good idea of general area.
    Indiana - Good luck finding one person but at least you know what state.
    Midwest - If you're really paranoid.
  10. A.S.BOLTNUT

A.S.BOLTNUT Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Lately i'v been selling a few things here and there and i get a little Surprised when i receive payment in a envelope WITHOUT any thing saying what it's for :?: Please if you happen to purchase some thing from me , please send a little note along with payment stating what it's for ,
    some times if you have a multiple deals going with Members it's hard to keep track . Especially when we are using on screen names here and we don't always know each others real Identity :)

Just a reminder !.....HAVE A NICE RIDE !......... Ralph
  11. Uncle Stretch

Uncle Stretch Moderator

0   0   0

I did a sell off once trying to get my collection down to a normal size. I ran into the same thing and
    the solution was to take a book and write down every part I had for sale. The minute someone paid
    for one I marked it sold in the book and wrote down the name and information. At a glance I could
    look at the book and tell what name went with what part. People don't realize when your selling
    lots of different parts how hectic it becomes. If you stay on top of it you can control it pretty good.
  12. jerrykr

jerrykr

0   0   0

do as Uncle Stretch sez, if nothing more than to keep track of who bought what and where you have to ship it.

nothing turns me off as a buyer more than a picture of 10 different items, even if you put little bits of paper numbers by each one.

So, I have to PM you, "hey, how much for the one in the top row, 2nd from the left, and BTW what size is the xxx?". :(

pull-ez, take a picture of each and every part, maybe 2 views, assign an item number and a part name, and post it as an individual part.
    you can put an almost unlimited number of parts in one posting like this, -- one after the other.

USE THE EDIT FUNCTION ON THE ORIGINAL POST as your sale goes on.
    Update the part description in the original post if a sale is pending to let people know.
    Once a part sells, EDIT and REMOVE the item description and it's pictures.
    That way if you can't see the part it can't be for sale, right?

As for location and where you live, just put a statement at the top of the post.

"All items shipped from Zip code 99999".

People can go to USPS.com and estimate shipping by putting in your zip and their zip.
    Saves both buyer and seller a lot of time deciding if the price and shipping is worth it to them.
    If you will only ship Parcel Post, or Flat Rate Boxes, say so in the original Post.

Also tell what kind of payment you are willing to accept.

Make everything CLEAR and EASY for both you and the buyer.
  13. Uncle Stretch

Uncle Stretch Moderator

0   0   0

One thing I found is if you say i'm in zip code 77777 give me a price on shipping,
    and then give your real address when you make the deal. It will be less by a small amount.
    If I want to buy something I give the seller my full address for the shipping quote. Saves a little.
  14. Mole

Mole

0   0   0

I understand abou the whole 'location' thing in the 'for sale' forum... But, when an item is posted for sale with a picture, a price and says '$xxx shipped' difference does it make where the part is located? Shipping is already included so shipping cost from point a to point b is null and void.
  15. CCR

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

If its next door, you could walk over and pick it up.
  16. Mole

Mole

0   0   0

LOL... fair enough :oops:
  17. Mole

Mole

0   0   0

For everyone who didn't have the priviledge to read the prior post before it was deleted... please realize this response is more or less 'aimed' at 'Uncle Stretch... It is what it is... Maybe he had a bad day, I don't know.

Look, I realize that getting into arguments over semantics with a mod isn't going to get me anywhere except banned. So I forgot to type the word "what" in the phrase between the words 'shipped' and 'difference', from the forums I have been on the mods generally give people the benefit of the doubt before automatically assuming something is being said without actually asking. In the world I grew up in, in general math, the letter 'x' was used to denote any number from 0-9. especially when placed after a dollar sign which supposes that the author of the statement means anything between zero dollars and 999 dollars.

The only reason I brought up about the '$xxx shipped' post being deleted was because it had been. Flat out, I had to make the ad twice. I even had to race on a couple before they got deleted as I had forgotten to type in the city being shipped from or the zip code or whatever. That doesn't matter, not really. I was under the impression that I was asking a valid question and was just looking for an answer... which I got.
    I have gone through and read most of the posts in almost all of the areas of the forum and actually do understand the rules and how people relate here. Everything from the "build" threads to most of the threads in the "forum talk". People on this forum, for the most part, seem to get along really well, without anyone (yet) seeming to stand out as a Prima Donna. People congratulate and wish well on each other unlike other forums where (god forbid) someone thinks differently (read as 'outside the box) and wants to do something different with their bikes. I have a tendency to be a straightforward guy, pull no punches, say what I think (unless it's not polite... my momma taught me that) and if I have an issue with someone I'm going to try and keep on top of it until it gets hashed out. Some of the best relationships I have in this world are with people that I banged heads with at first for a while.

The point I'm trying to make is, even though this is a 'private' forum (as in IPs can be banned) it is a public forum and it just seems to me that I may have have gotten you a little twisted up without realizing it and it seems as though you're just waiting for me to do or say something stupid. This is a "peeve" thread and all I did was post against that topic. I'm actually pretty easy going and if I got you spun up with asking a valid question, not my fault. You wanna have me banned for stating my mind... well... that's a heck of a way for moderators to behave on a forum. I just ask you to read the following statement one more time with one simple correction. You don't want me to hang out here, that's cool. Just stop reading in to what I type and just read what I type.

18. CCR

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Hey Mole, I just gave you the short answer, I was not trying to be abrasive or rude if that is how you took it. I understand your point and here is the answer to why your posts were deleted ...

UncleS is a cranky old man and runs a tight ship, I'm probably going to get my knuckles rapped for even pointing it out :lol:

Don't take it personally, it's just easier to follow the rules than ask "why" is my advice. :wink:
  19. Mole

Mole

0   0   0

Now 'cranky' I can understand... I'm halfway there myself as you can probably tell. Some would probably even say that I may be a tad past cranky.

Lesson learned... one hornets nest I shall refrain from poking for the time being. :wink:
  20. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Moderator

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Yep...learn and follow the rules and we'll all get along just fine here. :wink: