Folding bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brompton. Overlooking Ft Snelling, Minneapolis Minn. Cult classic with a matching price tag.

My Fuji / Marlboro single speed conversion. Light cromo frame saddled with heavy oem parts. Good rebuilders with way long top tubes. Came in 2 frame sizes. Marlboro smokers got coupons in the packs that could be redeemed for items in a catalog. The bike was one of more-coupons-needed item and since Marlboro smokers tend to smoke alot, they had lots of coupons. I've seen some still in the box. Mine was from a rental fleet and kinda beat up so a rebuild was in order.

Giatex
First generation. Made in Taiwan. Not imported to the USA. This one had a Canadian Import sticker on it. Quirky impulse buy. Technically not a folder. It telescopes. The "Stretching bike". Later models used square beams and a different clamp system that allow you to adjust the bike to fit growing kids. This first gen needs to be fully extended to hold tight. Rides quite nice. I added new 'bent racing tires so it's fast now. Added folding pedals. The bars fold down. So some of it folds.

The very common euro folder. I read some where the inventor didn't patent the design and invited other makes to copy it. I've seen scores of variations from Italy, Germany, Japan, etc. The hinge and front end is very similar on them, you see many different stay designs. This one had no decals when i got it. The only branding is Bianchi on the welded on brake levers. Slow, flexy, can't raise the seat nearly high enough. But it's a classic.

The very common euro folder. I read some where the inventor didn't patent the design and invited other makes to copy it. I've seen scores of variations from Italy, Germany, Japan, etc. The hinge and front end is very similar on them, you see many different stay designs. This one had no decals when i got it. The only branding is Bianchi on the welded on brake levers. Slow, flexy, can't raise the seat nearly high enough. But it's a classic.

1200px-Romet_Flaming_bicycle_in_Krak%C3%B3w_%281%29.jpg

ZZR/Romet Flaming in Poland. There was also a 16" wheel childs version called Pelikan.

My Fuji / Marlboro single speed conversion. Light cromo frame saddled with heavy oem parts. Good rebuilders with way long top tubes. Came in 2 frame sizes. Marlboro smokers got coupons in the packs that could be redeemed for items in a catalog. The bike was one of more-coupons-needed item and since Marlboro smokers tend to smoke alot, they had lots of coupons. I've seen some still in the box. Mine was from a rental fleet and kinda beat up so a rebuild was in order.

I've always wished they had made some in my size and have seen a bunch.

Found yesterday.....people cleaning out garage/storage area. Nice condition,original tires, rear rim pitting a little but for 40.00 think it is a good find! Looks like a 1973.

Seven years later.....no problems. Replaced rear wheel with a '70 hub, new tires, grips
Kool Stop Pads.....
Found yesterday.....people cleaning out garage/storage area. Nice condition,original tires, rear rim pitting a little but for 40.00 think it is a good find! Looks like a 1973.

Seven years later...still going, no problems. Replaced rear wheel and hub('70) new tires
new grips and Kool Stop pads. Also added a '70 rear bag from a Sports (not pictured).
rf2.jpg
rf3.jpg

Latest posts

Back