Folding bike crank question?!?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We had a yard sale the other weekend and I had some of my lesser bikes out for possible sale. Well, as it ends up, I BOUGHT a bike!!

ea65ea426fb3aa0e4196632e822d237e.jpg

Although it has a Schwinn head badge, I'm sure it's either Italian or German. Cruising Google and eBay, I find eerily similar bikes with multiple branding...Peugeot, Bianchi, Kolbe, Royce Union, etc.

The brand/build is not critical to me, BUT I could really use some help on the bikes crank. It looks to be a transplant, solely because the crank arms are waaaay too long! With flat tires, the crank can double as a kickstand!! So naturally I want a rideable bike!!

The other odd thing about the crank/arms is that only the left (non-drive) side is cottered. The right side appears to be one-piece with the spindle.

6f3e5470b083cdc4448077bdb0837be3.jpg

Can anyone help me on what I can replace this crank with? And let's not forget...CHEAP IS GOOD!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The forks are bent forward, making the cranks lower to the ground. I'll bet they were bent back after bumping into something, a little too far forward. So, I would change them out, as forks are known to develop cracks near the bottom bearing in the head tube where you don't notice it. The more steel is bent and bent back, the weaker it gets. If the fork was at the correct angle, you'll get an inch or so of height. I'll bet those are the original cranks.

For the cranks, if they aren't bent, they may be usuable as is. There must be some way of loosening the drive side of the bearings, maybe a thin wrench on the cup next to the chainwheel? If it is slotted for a wrench. I would loosen the left side first and see how it comes out, clean, relube and reassemble.

I've actually seen a few cotterd cranks with only one side cottered.. it's a nice way to make a cheap crank, even cheaper.

That's a pretty common type of euro city folder, lots of dedicated fans.
I'm personally unaware if schwinn ever did that style though, but I belive there was a eastern European schwinn factory for a while.. so.. maybe?
I'm also not personally familiar with that particular chain ring. I would imagine that if they cheaped out on the cotters, then the chain ring is pressed on as well.
Put some air in the tires and see if that improves the situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Remove the cranks and compare the BB shell to other bikes to determine if it is one of the standard BB types. Then go from there.

All really good points.

Wildcat - I'll inspect the fork, but if its bent, I will play the devil trying to find a replacement.

Peejus - I may TRY to disassemble the crank and see what's there, but I don't have much faith in what I'll find!

KF - Yeah, I was hoping someone else may have already done this and could pass their knowledge along. So, if you don't know....

I'll keep everyone posted!

Looks just like the size of the crank on my German built Holland Look 3speed "Dutch bike". I don't recall if its a two piece or three piece cotter though. . Ill have look when inget home..
Everything seemed english measurements though, if it's french or italian is when things of a certain vintage get interesting.

Kinda guessing somebody tossed a schwinn badge on it for shits and giggles..
The only schwinn folder I've found was the Hi-low, and it looks NOTHING like this bike.

Maybe a Buggatti that schwinn rebadged? I think those are schwinn grips on the OP bike..
But once again.. it could have just been a modder..

I was close to recommending it for yard art, but it's a Bugatti!

Even has the little tab for the rear brake on the seat tube.

Found this looking around:

"Beware the crankset- it's one of those Thompson-style 2-piece cranks that are impossible to find replacement parts for. The bottom bracket is Italian-sized, but has no threading, so it can't be replaced either. So, if you ride it, make sure the bottom bracket is maintained meticulously- keep out water, replace the bearings and regrease it often."

You have a few custom options if you dont mind modifying the frame. You could find a thompson 3 piece spindle and run your choice of cottered cranks, or you could insert a standard English thread bottom bracket shell with a 40mm OD into the existing bottom bracket shell and weld/braze it.

With that said. If you destroy the pin while extracting it.. you should be able to replace it fairly easily and cheaply

Yeah, I just couldn't leave well enough alone...

c69907df015962b8f9f05b4dca42df75.jpg

7cd672a60e3930562a798b463afa82ba.jpg

1e3a1b02986d892adb6721ce097148b5.jpg

It looks like a mini-American BB!!! I can probably make do with this, but would like to know my options!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all looks to be in good condition really. . Soak them in parts cleaner. Load them up with fresh grease, and you should be good to go.

I had one like that in the Philippines, only had pins on both sides. I found replacement cups and bearings, but there are 3 different sizes nearly all the same size. I wound up using a new spindle and everything on my build off bike.

DSCI0017.JPG

Latest posts

Back