Flipping My Wife's Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy wife = more bike builds for me!

Here are some photos after a quick flip (supposedly) I did for my wife. She wanted a more cruisery look for her ride. Needless to say she was happy with the results and is now the envy of the other neighborhood wives :-D

Mods: paint (metallic brown & creme), half moon handle bar, grips, saddle, pedals, reflector crash rail thingy.

Before
IMG_20140402_173236.jpg

After
IMG_20140812_170204.jpg

IMG_20140812_170305.jpg

IMG_20140812_170406.jpg

One happy customer :)
IMG_20140812_174906.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great transformation. The frame and fender colors are a wonderful contrast. Is that the same chain guard but chromed? Or did you get another chain guard like it that was already chrome? Or wait, after looking at the before and after pics again it looks like the same chain guard but given a major polishing.

Nice Job on the bike. She looks happy. As long as she picked the colors.
What does the word Flip mean in this application?
I thought you turned it upside down. Or that you watched too much of THAT TV show and you bought one and sold it for another one?

Where did you get that Reflector Protector "Thingy"? Looks cool.
Great Project

That is a great transformation. The frame and fender colors are a wonderful contrast. Is that the same chain guard but chromed? Or did you get another chain guard like it that was already chrome? Or wait, after looking at the before and after pics again it looks like the same chain guard but given a major polishing.

Thanks man! Yeah, just polished it a bit :)

Great work.

2 questions.
What kind of bike is that?
What is that strange protrusion on the right fork arm?

It's a Maruishi ladies city bike and that's where the dynamo powered headlight goes. The wife didn't want it anymore because it slows the bike when it's on. We just got one of those led clip-on bike lights for night rides instead.

Nice Job on the bike. She looks happy. As long as she picked the colors.
What does the word Flip mean in this application?
I thought you turned it upside down. Or that you watched too much of THAT TV show and you bought one and sold it for another one?

Where did you get that Reflector Protector "Thingy"? Looks cool.
Great Project

Thanks dude! Yeah it's a term from that show but the wife was the customer in this one, haha! For the colors she wanted something that was classic-looking but not too girly. It's not visible on the photos but the brown color has specs of glitter on it so it looks wonderful outdoors. I actually don't know what that protector thing is called so I couldn't find it/order it online, but I have seen it on several Japanese city bikes here. I was lucky to see one attached to a scrapped bike from a shop I frequent so I asked the shop owner if I could buy it from him for 30 pesos (less than $1) he obliged. Now how to find more for my parts bin? :39: I love those small accent/detail pieces especially when they are functional.

Great work.

2 questions.
What kind of bike is that?
What is that strange protrusion on the right fork arm?
Looking at the 1st photo, it looks like the fork thing holds up a generator/light thingie. I could be wrong, though. Could be a siren. Or a rocket launcher. ;)

Japanese. ..like this Fonce. Front generator powered light. Note the basket brace fit around the light.

01991d76bf1de13c98c6a7b75f599e83.jpg

d2b0db5388c24ebcb630180a25a1a6f0.jpg

b46cf4f8ba69c5c55c97328c6543e26b.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Japanese. ..like this Fonce. Front generator powered light. Note the basket brace fit around the light.

01991d76bf1de13c98c6a7b75f599e83.jpg

d2b0db5388c24ebcb630180a25a1a6f0.jpg

b46cf4f8ba69c5c55c97328c6543e26b.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Yep that's the one! These are pretty common here since our country is Japan's dumping ground for their used and discarded bikes. Every once in a while we get US brands, but that's very, very rare. We pick up Japanese bikes for about US $60-150, 90% available are ladies frames and folding bikes. Actually pretty expensive from the $5-10 gems you guys find over there :)

Nice work man, looks like you took that thing back in time, colors flow.

Latest posts

Back