"Flipped Fixie JC Higgins" Finished NEW PICS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Flipped JC" inspired by Twisted Sisters

I put a different gel seat on it fits better and the flash at night made the K/O seal glow! :lol:
jchigginsflipseat3.jpg

I started on the chain stays ,Here is what it is now
jchigginsflipchainstays.jpg
And here is what it will be
jchigginsflipchainstays2.jpg

Here it is welded and mocked up...
jchigginsflipchainstays3.jpg
jchigginsflipchainstays4.jpg
jchigginsflipchainstays5.jpg
Sorry about the bad pics its my cell at night.

Heres a better pic
jchigginsflipchainstays6.jpg
Im going to find different wheels the weird thing is the tire says 26x1 3/8 but the rim is an inch taller than any other 26" I have here,whats up with that?

NICE job! As far as the tire. 26 x 1.50---2.125 will fit on the same rim. The skinny 26x1/38 won't fit. The 1 3/8 needs a taller (BIGGER) rim, but has a smaller side wall on tire....Higher pressure tire, less flex = less rolling resistance. (could be wrong, what the heck do I know?)

KOTA said:
NICE job! As far as the tire. 26 x 1.50---2.125 will fit on the same rim. The skinny 26x1/38 won't fit. The 1 3/8 needs a taller (BIGGER) rim, but has a smaller side wall on tire....Higher pressure tire, less flex = less rolling resistance. (could be wrong, what the heck do I know?)

Thats makes sense to me ,well I need to either get new wheels or rebuild the ol higgins 3 speed hub and have some powder coating done these old rims are pretty rotten.

The chain fits and can be adjusted ,imagine that...I might have to raise the BB ,the pedals clear by 1/2" but if my son pedals in a turn he might go down,and nobody likes road rash!
jchigginsflip7.jpg
jchigginsflip8.jpg

I've built a lot of LOW bikes. I always keep the pedals at a minimum of 2" from the ground. It'll still "smart" ya if they're down in a turn, but it won't flip ya...2" in STILL pretty low.

KOTA said:
I've built a lot of LOW bikes. I always keep the pedals at a minimum of 2" from the ground. It'll still "smart" ya if they're down in a turn, but it won't flip ya...2" in STILL pretty low.

Thanks Kota,2" sounds good to me.I think I can get another 1 1/2" by rewelding the BB any more then that Ill have to cut off the seat post clamp and weld the BB right to the frame.

Bike is looking great man!
Keep up the good work :wink:

Update....I scored a set of Bontrager 700 wheels for this project so now some progress can be made.Id like to put a single freewheel on the rear but if I leave the cassete it will be a 8 speed.I got it to fit with the cassete so i will leave it like this and debate putting a de railer on while researching some low budget options.The new dropouts will allow widening the chainstays with no problem....Hopefully ill have time to finish this one in the next couple of weeks...
jchigginsflip700.jpg
jchigginsflip700front.jpg
jchigginsflip700rear.jpg

AKB said:
What tires are you planning on running? Regular narrow 700c tires?

A set of 700X30 white walls I found on ebay..

I haven't seen a flipped bike before. . . Cool man. I like it! Such a simple idea, but with great effect.

Did you want to use tires wider than 30mm? Schwalbe makes 700c tires up to 2" wide. Not in whitewall though.. Only black or cream. Just thought I would mention that.

Here are the two sets of tires I have narrowed it down to
jchigginsflip700wwtires2.jpg
jchigginsflip700wwtires.jpg
The CST tires are 30's and hold 120 psi ,the skullys are 38's and hold 50 psi ,neither set has any tread pattern so tell me what you think...

Finally going to knock the dust off this and start working on it again!I redid the rear hub to a single speed fixie,pics soon! I ve got the BB tacked in place and made a neck with some old rusty bars flipped its gettin there! I will try and get some pics up soon... 8) :mrgreen:

Re: "Flipped JC Higgins" Back on the bench

Heres a few progress pics 8) :mrgreen:
jchigginsflip10.jpg
jchigginsflip11.jpg
jchigginsflip12.jpg

Fat that thing is awesome! I expect to see Billy Gibbons riding it!

XC204 said:
Fat that thing is awesome! I expect to see Billy Gibbons riding it!

If Billy Gibbons would ride it Id let him!! 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back