Flightliner Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got another build going for my father, Schwinn based. But this spaceliner was thrown in in the deal when I bought the Schwinn.

Didnt know what it was when I bought it, looked up info and found out it was a base model spaceliner, missing the tank, and a collection of parts from different years. Im passing the useable parts on to folks restoring these and keeping the frame for a build.

New for me, keeping the worn OG paint.

Looked thru the parts bin and got a plan. It'll get a single speed freewheel so this frame needs some brakes.

20171007_094211.jpg

Simple little fixture, the spacing lines up with a bike I did in the past. Score. Prior to this I put the wheel in the middle of the drops, centered the pad, and marked off where I need to be.

All i had for v brake mounts were these single hole cut from a mtn bk fork. Shaped them better and ground to fit frame contour once they were bolted into the fixture.
20171007_095112.jpg

Welded on, mixed some red and brown metallic spray paint, added a little acetone, brushed on a couple uneven thin coats. It blends in well, will blend it a little more with rubbing compound when I rub out the frame paint.
20171007_113011.jpg

Undermount seat stay v brakes, hmm, that will keep people guessing. Looks lik theyve been there forever.
20171007_113004.jpg

Ha, I was digging thru parts and found a Tange loose ball square taper bottom bracket, need to see if the width works. Got some 170 and 175 cranks, think theyre both the kind woth riveted chainrings though, may cut off the extra rings.

I think I still have a southpaw freewheel. Left hand drive for the heck of it ?

Trued some rims, rear rim that had a dinger. Peaked silver alloy mtn bk rims with black hubs, came from a diamondback.

Crank choices.
Looseball 8 spline with bmx 3pc, black.
Looseball square taper woth 170 blavl or silver, low end riveted sprockets.
Worn chrome schwinn 1pc or black 1pc 175mm

I want a 34-36 chainring with 16t freewheel, so ill have to check the pile.

The southpaw freewheel was a 3/16 monster, no go.

Been finishing the last room in my basement, done, carpet guy is coming soon. Now the garage is piled high with all the construction tool.

Anyway, these goofy kids kneesavers have been hanging around for a while, 6 1/2 x 21 wasnt gonna do anything for me, took about 40 min to sleeve these, cut the ends off some old mtn bk bars, weld em up and do a rough grind. Ill finish grind when its time for paint.
29" wide, some room to trim.
20171211_194800.jpg

Ive got 2 apes, 3 cruiser, and these to choose from until I can locate some proper MX bars.

I love the way you did the v-brake mounts on the frame. It'll definitely keep people guessing. I'm definitely following this build, I can't wait to see where this goes.

Appreciate it, progess is gonna be slow, got some other stuff going on, should be a fun build though if ya'll wanna follow along.

Cant decide on the bars, I could shoot red over the brown and sand through, or do them raw with clear.

I did polish a top load bmx stem the other day for this, dont even know what it is. Maybe mongoose.

Trying to buy a bike locally with a sakae stem and what looks like araya's, seller is kinda weird to deal with. We'll see.

I hope it doesnt put too much pressure on them, pulling away from frame instead of pushing. I like them tucked under.

If it's like the girl's Spaceliner, I'd reinforce the "brake" bar with more weld to be sure.

Quick parts selection. I have a loose ball tange square drive bottom bracket and 3 or 4 riveted cranks sets. If I can find one with 32t ring, I'll grind off other rings for a 2:1 with the freewheels I already have.

2 fork, 2 stem, 3 bars choices and a set of apes - somewhere.

Matching front rim is in the loft, decent set of balloon tires to get me started.

Im all spare parts so far, need to see where to upgrade.
20171216_190045.jpg

20180415_125729.jpg

Little progress, fork was too long for the headtube. Instead of cutting and rethreading, used an heavy conduit fitting, ground out the internal threads so it slipped over the fork, cut to length, it was already flash chromed:). Kinda goofy, but I wanna ride these forks before committing to cut the length.

Swapped over to silver brakes.

Found a 16t freewheel in the pile for 3/32 chain, have a 3/32 KMC in the pile.

I may weld on some brake line mounting tabs, derailleur and cable mounts before I go any further. Thinking I can mess with this bike with different setups over time.

Latest posts

Back