RRBBO13 Five Points

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. Why not. I wasn’t gonna jump in, because I’m gonna be doin a 8 day bike tour in June. But recently reread the rules and we have until August!
So figured I’d join the fun.
Build will be simple, all bolt on, and a true rat.
Here’s the frame I’ll be using-
576F6449-9F35-4AE0-AA1D-953D7FF7CE91.jpeg

I believe it’s a 40s Elgin. But I’m not positive. I think the frame will pretty much be the only thing used from this picture. I’ve had an idea for this frame for awhile now, and I’ve got more then enough parts on hand.
I should mention, I don’t plan on spending a dime on this build from this point forward. But use what I’ve got.

Can't go wrong with a Murray built Elgin as a starting point!

Any guesses on a year for this guy @kingfish254 ? I know it’s pre ‘52, but that's bout it. Stoked you confirmed Murray built.
Also, a piece purchased from you some time ago will be goin on this build...:113:
I’d say your frame is 1940 (or older), 1941 and newer had a forged weld smooth formed connection between the chain stays and bottom bracket and post 1940 the down tubes are curved instead of straight on 1940 and earlier. Your frame looks to match my 1940. Nice place to start with another Elgin or Murray built frame.

Last edited:
straight seat tube , ye 37-39 elgin
good base ! :113:
whats with having that many almost identical forks ?:39:

straight seat tube , ye 37-39 elgin
good base ! :113:
whats with having that many almost identical forks ?:39:
Dang, that makes this my oldest bike.
As far forks, I have a typical aesthetic. Most of my builds are aimed at the ‘78-‘86 look of bmx influenced cruisers. The top left three are in fact, the same. Most the rest are different though.

whoooaaaa-ho-ho! Yeah, I'd start with a putty knife, then a heavy bristled brush soaked in whatever and sacrifice a couple of beach towels to wipe it off / out ; then soak. :eek:

This has a 'MOD' serial number, which should place it as a '39 Elgin...

MOD ELGIN.JPG

...this is a Derby, with an 'MD' serial...which seems to be accepted as a '39 as well...

NotMyDerby.jpg

...this is my Derby, also with a 'MD' serial...so '39...

MyDerby.jpg

So, that would seem to indicate that sometime in '39, Murray changed from the conventional chain stays to the forged. -OR- possibly, 'MD' isn't the equivalent of 'MOD' and doesn't indicate '39, it is just a prefix for 'Derby' branded bikes. I don't know which is the case...so, I refer to mine as ~'38-'39 :grin:. MazdaFlyer had some good observations on his thread as well...so, ???

Jason

This has a 'MOD' serial number, which should place it as a '39 Elgin...

View attachment 76008
...this is a Derby, with an 'MD' serial...which seems to be accepted as a '39 as well...

View attachment 76009
...this is my Derby, also with a 'MD' serial...so '39...

View attachment 76010
So, that would seem to indicate that sometime in '39, Murray changed from the conventional chain stays to the forged. -OR- possibly, 'MD' isn't the equivalent of 'MOD' and doesn't indicate '39, it is just a prefix for 'Derby' branded bikes. I don't know which is the case...so, I refer to mine as ~'38-'39 :grin:. MazdaFlyer had some good observations on his thread as well...so, ???

Jason

Now I’m confused...Sears catalog illustrations show 1940 with straight down tube and 1941 with curved down tube.

Dang, thanks for the info Jason and @MazdaFlyer . Do either of yours have the grease ports on the BB and head tube? I've yet to find a serial number on mine as its under a couple decades of grime.
Man that pic makes me realllly want some cross brace bars....

Aslo, I've noticed my frame is a lil outta wack. The rear triangle is about 3/4 of an inch off to one side. So I've got to straighten that up.
The threads on the fork I am going to use are pretty toast and need to be rethreaded as well.
I gathered most the parts I aim to use on this build last weekend. Mock up pics coming soon.

Latest posts

Back