RRBBO13 Fisher CR-7 ...OddJob Award Creation vid pg 9 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fisher CR 7 Videologue 3.... Homemade polishing technique for bare aluminum frame.

The weather is finally turning here in the Northland. It's starting to feel like the 'summer' RRB Build Off!

Couple shots of my 'shiny' build. Wow, now those are six words I thought I'd never say here. At least, out loud...:bigsmile:

32536338_2380267205332758_6317553028744347648_n.jpg
32584790_2380268205332658_8449279373743226880_n.jpg

And a couple from my favorite park, just a couple blocks from our house. My testing grounds for RRB builds. This one got a taste of the off-road trails in the woods. My finished thread will include a ride vid from there!
32512153_2380716748621137_648070888058519552_n.jpg
32536940_2380717001954445_3236381887601573888_n.jpg

Attachments

• 32498213_2380266258666186_6135672687156002816_n.jpg
    32498213_2380266258666186_6135672687156002816_n.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Thanks man! My heart and soul has always been mountain biking, and this was an opportunity to return to my roots. It's been a fun ride so far!

If your ever in Idaho we should go rip up some trails :thumbsup:, and the bike looks killer.

If your ever in Idaho we should go rip up some trails :thumbsup:, and the bike looks killer.
I will take you up on that! We are thinking about a train ride on the Empire Builder out to Seattle, with a stop in Montana and Idaho along the way. Have a good friend from college in Sandpoint, you any where near there?

Closing in on some finishing touches on the Fisher CR-7. Last night's ride reminded me of the simplicity, the constant moving around on the bike, and the acceleration and precise handling that the rigid fork / hardtail 26er has vs my full suspension 29er.

Good looking “Old” mountain bike, looks like you could call it “Done”.
I still have the old ‘95 MoabS mountain that started my bike addiction. I need to get it off the garage wall.
Always liked the diversity and originality of the Gary Fisher bikes. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking “Old” mountain bike, looks like you could call it “Done”.
I still have the old ‘95 MoabS mountain that started my bike addiction. I need to get it off the garage wall.
Always liked the diversity and originality of the Gary Fisher bikes. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Ed. Yeah, I have been a Fisher fan since day one. Innovation, diversity, and they just always stood out as a 'real' mountain bike.

The build is getting close, a few details yet I'll wrap it up.

Looking good!
Now you can appreciate what the Silver King guys go through.
I think you should change the name of your build to "Tartar Sauce". It goes well with "Fish"er bikes.

The-Twilight-Zone-for-web.jpg

Did you say the P word? This is twilight zone level weird.

Bike looks great, dude. I just noticed that the rear triangle is bolted on!? Is it steel for compliance? Pretty neat.

I've still got my Fisher Montare frame hanging in the garage right next to my Rig frame. Love me some Fisher's

Looking good!
Now you can appreciate what the Silver King guys go through.
I think you should change the name of your build to "Tartar Sauce". It goes well with "Fish"er bikes.
Wah Wahhhhhh! You had me chuckling on that one, kingFISH!

I was only partially joking. I think that's a cool build name. :D

I've still got my Fisher Montare frame hanging in the garage right next to my Rig frame. Love me some Fisher's
What year is your Montare? That is one of the very first names Gary used on his bike models. I had a Rig as my first 29er. Ran it 1 x 9 gearing, and could ride nearly everything I encountered. Loved the bike! Also had a Fisher Genesis, 1991 model, tandem. After I used it for around 4 years, we rented it out at the shop I worked at and it brought lots of smiles to people!

@macncheese , the ever astute one, noticed a particular design aspect to this bike that is very unique. @Chad T , here is that explanation you have been waiting for since before the build-off started! :bigsmile:

This bike frame set uses two different metals in it's construction. And since steel and aluminum aren't compatible with welding together; the rear triangle and main frame are bolted together!

The rear triangle is chromoly steel, as is the fork. The big tubed alloy main frame for stiffness and tracking, and the chromoly rear triangle and fork for vertical compliance.

Also, having the skinny tubed rear end makes for the largest tire compatibility of any alloy framed bike at the time. The fat alloy tubes needed for lightweight and stiffness reduce the space for the rear tire. This is before they were 'hydro-forming' aluminum frames (shaping with water) into the shapes we see in today's mtb's.

The original design was by Richard Cunningham ( the CR in the model name) and Gary Fisher licensed it and brought it to the masses. I believe the model spanned 1988 - 1992, mine being a 1990.

The bike was voted by Mountain Bike Action magazine to be one of the Top 10 most influential and innovative mountain bike designs up through the year 2000. Basically, the first 20 years of the mountain bike.

As in the classic /vintage car world, there is a timeline for what is considered 'vintage' in the mtb world. Anything pre-1996 typically falls into that category. So, as new as 1990 seems, my build is a 'vintage bike' ! :grin:

Last edited:
What year is your Montare? That is one of the very first names Gary used on his bike models. I had a Rig as my first 29er. Ran it 1 x 9 gearing, and could ride nearly everything I encountered. Loved the bike! Also had a Fisher Genesis, 1991 model, tandem. After I used it for around 4 years, we rented it out at the shop I worked at and it brought lots of smiles to people!

97 Montare built from spare parts floating around the Whitewater Trek plant at the time

07 Rig that was my main "go-to" MTB for years. I'd switch between that and my Haro Ally. Single speed all the way!

This is one sexy bike! The tatar sauce finish is perfecto.

Lil' WD and some toothbrush action on that back hub...tho..:bigboss:..:p:p:p

That is a cool frame....never heard of that but didn't see much of the high-end stuff back then..(small town rural OH)..local Schwinn shop just had Giants and Paramounts. Bought my 1990 Paramount there because I fell in love with the Deore XT brakes it had on it. The real wide cantis. Never raced but rode it a lot.

Day 19 - In an effort to stay on Page 1, here is some more mtb history. In the early '90s, many companies were coming up with innovations / products to fuel the raging mountain bike fire. One day, while riding in a rainy Sunday morning race, an idea literally 'took me by the hand' and led me to it!

The bare alloy surface of the brake levers would get slippery when wet. And into the second hour of a mud race, when every joint on your body was fatigued, your fingers would slide on the brake levers, which affected your grip. Ideally, the levers were set up to use just two fingers (on the style I have on my build), so you could keep a firm grip on the bars as you descended an often rocky, root-strewn mud slick slope as were common on our Midwest courses.

That morning, as I descended the famed 'Rocky Balboa Drive' ravine at Spring Creek MX Park (we rode the trials sections for the MX races linked in to our singletrack) I came upon this idea:

'Brake Snakes'. A rubber grip that would slip over the brake lever, with some help of liquid soap, and provide a grippy surface in wet conditions / sweaty hands. I found some rubber tubing at our local Ax Man Surplus, cut it to the appropriate lengths, packaged them as 2 pr (back ups for when your first pair wore out) and sold these in 15 different shops around the metro area of Minneapolis / St Paul.

The packaging was crude, but colorful. The thing is, these really worked! And I sold every one but this last set that I saved for nostalgia's sake. The label is beat up from riding in my parts bin for nearly 30 years. Since this is the last set, I probably won't put this set on my bike, but maybe look for some more tubing and replicate this original idea for use on my Fisher CR-7.

30831116_2341892709170208_228650152_n.jpg
30429469_2341892695836876_95812935_n.jpg
30421726_2341892089170270_468903607_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back