Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Massive update 6/4 seat tower

Thanks guys, and I appreciate the supportive PMs! This was my first time trying anything this complicated, so I think I got lucky that it worked.

I guess the worst thing about a tower like this is that there is about zero adjustibility. But I figure, heck, most motorcycles are one size fits all, so why not!

This thing is INSANE and I love it!!!!!
I ride a lot of 20" folding bikes and with long seatposts and tall handlebars, You can get a really nice ride out of 20" plus they are a lot more nimble!
Awesome work!!

That is a wickedly cOOl bike! The seat tower is more like the "Eiffel" tower..awesome job!!!

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! 7/6 BB issue solved & brake

Time to resolve some issues! This is kinda a two for one since they are in the same area of the bike.

First, there was no provision for a rear brake, so I cut a little adapter plate and filed it so it would fit flush.
IMG_2590.jpg

Odd but the mounting point is inside the fender! Fit the best there and the bolt won't be seen unless you are under the bike.
IMG_2592.jpg

I was headed for the welder but got a sudden inspiration for my bottom bracket issue. If you recall this is a kids bike that had wimpy cranks and pressed bearings. So at the beginning of the build there was speculation of how I could put in a modern(ish) BB. I was thinking of using epoxy.
IMG_1236.jpg

Then it came to me. I can use stop bolts to anchor in english bb cups. So I drilled two holes and grabbed some grade 8 nuts and set screws.
IMG_2593.jpg

Brake adapter and bb set screws welded in.
IMG_2594.jpg

The nice thing about the set screws is that is allows me to adjust the chain line by sliding the cups back and forth!
IMG_2596.jpg

Here is the brake resting in its location. There is more space between the tire and the brake than shows.
IMG_2601.jpg

Feels good. Most of my big issues have now been solved. So now I get to enjoy the final tweaking toward the finishline. Some parting shots on the day AND alas, the end of my vacation with access to all my bro-il law's tools. :cry:
IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

I love the ingenuity! You said one concern was what would happen when you really pressed on those cranks. I'm assuming that BB is secure enough like that?

CRASH said:
I love the ingenuity! You said one concern was what would happen when you really pressed on those cranks. I'm assuming that BB is secure enough like that?

Thanks crash! It feels pretty secure, but I won't know till it is under load. Set screws have sort of a cutting tip on them which should help more than a normal bolt. But I think some lock-tight will be in order for sure. In the end I figured why not try this since the next solution, if this doesn't work, can be done in tandem with these set screws. (Either epoxie in this bb or epoxie in a sealed bb, or use a threadless bb.)

Oh I am also planning on different pedals and possibly a different crank set all together. But the nice thing about these arms is that they have an outward bend in them that will help clear the rear brake cable, and help clear other stuff if I make this an E-bike down the road. So not attractive, but useful.

In other news, I have scooted this around pedaless a bit and am surprised how well the front springer works. That upper bracket is tougher than I thought so far.

I just love the mix of art and engineering that is going on with this build.
I really can apreciate this bike on so many different levels!!!!!!!

kingfish254 said:

Thanks for that Kingfish. My mom is an artist and my dad is an engineer, and they argue about who I took after more, so they will appreciate the response as well! And thanks for being so supportive of my lil 20"er in general and the other guy's builds. I think you help keep us all going.

Fisch said:
kingfish254 said:

Thanks for that Kingfish. My mom is an artist and my dad is an engineer, and they argue about who I took after more, so they will appreciate the response as well! And thanks for being so supportive of my lil 20"er in general and the other guy's builds. I think you help keep us all going.

Thanks a lot Fisch! It's been fun. I really have been following ALL of the builds. Early on I decided I wanted to encourage builds as much as I could just like Jake did last year. It's also a ton of fun following the builds closely because it really keeps me going with my build!!!!! There is SOOOOOOOO much that you see in the build threads that no one would even know from the Finished Bikes photos that people vote on.

Thanks for the kind words on the art on the website guys! I got some thrilling news this week, a book I illustrated, called 'Between the Lines' by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer just hit #1 on the New York Times best seller list! Doin a dance!

I blogged about it here:

http://scottmfischerevolvingeasel.blogspot.com/

Way to go man!!!!!!
Are you doing the Bunny Hop?

Love the art, especially the John Carter from Mars like piece at the end.

Hey, what's new with this build!!!!!!????????
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!!!!

And the count down begins. I figured I' take this last weekend and finish the bike, but wouldn't you guess it? I decided to pass a kidneystone over the last few days, and it hasn't passed yet! It is like it hurts like a SOB then settles for a bit, then starts movin again and hurting.

But today is the day, so pain or not, I gotta get this together.And take some pics! Thankfully I am really close to done.

Fisch said:
And the count down begins. I figured I' take this last weekend and finish the bike, but wouldn't you guess it? I decided to pass a kidneystone over the last few days, and it hasn't passed yet! It is like it hurts like a SOB then settles for a bit, then starts movin again and hurting.

But today is the day, so pain or not, I gotta get this together.And take some pics! Thankfully I am really close to done.

SO, the old crone WAS a real gypsy! Just kiddin', I'd never curse ya! Good luck with the bike and the stones, Rg

Good luck today!!!
I am sure you will find some way to incorporate you stone into next years build. :mrgreen:
Hang in there.

Way to go!!!!
Headed over there now to see.

Latest posts

Back