Fisch- A newb with a Rear twin caliper Spyder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cats! My name is Scott Fischer, and I went to the Brimfield antique show in MA (Just about the biggest in the country!) and I suddenly started noticing bikes again! I seriously have no bought a bike since I was in 8th grade (I'm 38). No joke! I saw a Yamaha moto-bike, and passed on the $300 he was asking for it, BUT I REMEMBERED. You know, remembered, what it was like to lust after that bike as a kid. So the bug had bitten and I find myself here! I've always customized things, from guitars to cars, so this place feels right at home for me!

Next thing you know I am scouring CL for bikes. Thought I'd start with a bit of muscle, and there it was, '69 Sears Spyder (with the twin rear brakes). $50
MySpyderScreamer.jpg

I think it looked way worse in person so we agreed on $35 and I was on my way home, thinking, what the heck did I just buy, yikes! But I started to feel better when the tires held air in the driveway. This is how it looked. I saw some potential. A cheap set of pedals after this, and it is even a rider as is!

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

I just got it last Fri, I felt a joy I hadn't known in years just pedaling fiugre 8's in the driveway with this rusty Spyder. But then I popped the rear tire, and broke a rusty spoke, most are frozen and way off. Also STEEL WOOL is the coolest thing ever! I could not believe how well this chrome cleaned up (except the rear tire.)

So it has been 4 days or so, the bike is now fully apart the frame sanded to metal and a healthy coat of Master Series Silver primer (like POR 15) is waiting to be wet sanded down. I have big ideas in my head we shall see how far I get! (I'll start a project thread.)

A bit about me, I am a professional illustrator. I do everything from novelcovers to computer game concept design, to kids books. My latest kidsbook, JUMP has been selected to go into over a million Cheerios boxes this fall, so that is pretty cool!
8126_1185330406671_1630597540_486116_1093000_n.jpg

You can see my Sci-fi fantasy art at my website http://www.fischart.com

Also I am big into old cars and my breed of choice are Datsuns! I amd a moderator at http://www.ratsun.net and have a 1971 521 pickup, and a 1959 Datsun 1000!!!

Here is the 71 (Bet I could fit alot of bikes in the back!)
OilDrop2009small.jpg

The interior!
IMG_4570.jpg

Here is the '59 as it sits (w/ me in it.)
MeMail.jpg

Here is where I am going with it! (Photoshop)
RockinDa59text.jpg

Finally I love to draw Datsuns in my spare time (might have to draw a few bikes now too!) Here is my latest based on my truck.
71Datsun521SakeSamurai.jpg

And a link to a bunch more if you are interested!
http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=16727

I look forward to digging in more around here!

I met a cool guy yesterday at the Dudly MA show and Swap (first bike show, so fun!) I think his name was Steve? Into muscle bikes. Had done an Iverson up like the starship Enterprise. Has a white goatee. And he said he was a member here, so if you are reading, nice meeting you!!

Thanks for the welcome! You have a great forum here (Been visiting every few hours for about a week now!). The graphics are hot, the people cool as heck, and the bikes.... flippin SWEET!

I tell you, coming from working on cars, I gotta say I love the simplicity of a bike! I had the whole thing apart in the kitchen in a couple hours! Took me 3 days to get the stuck rear drum off that '59 Datsun!!

BTW here is a link if y'all want to check out the full story on that '59! Only about 1000 of them ever came into the country, and I know of about 22 still out there!
http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=15083

Also, started a project thread for the Spyder!

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27068

So I also build robot puppets out of junk! (Which will influence this bike for sure! Might have to make it a talking bike!) Here is the gang! Being a children's book author I take them to schools and libraries with me. The kids go NUTS!!
Emmerson He is basically a full on muppet.:
IMG_0721.jpg

D.O.G.
RobotDog02-05-08-1.jpg

Mr Mojo Robo
OilDropcopy.jpg

Just a piece of wall art:
WeddingFace.jpg

So as you can see I have always been a tinkerer, which is why I love this place. You guys are so innovative! It is inspiring!

Welcome! :D Oh, I like your artwork, and those robots! I'll be a treat to see the bikes you'll build, really looking forward to it!

Thanks again dudes! Here is a bit of my more grown up sci-fi art. I do Novel covers. Computer concept design (just finished gigging for Disney on the new Tron stuff! I didn't work on the light cycle, but it is flipping rad!!) Also spent a lot of time working on trading card games like MAgic- the gathering. Some time with Dungeons and Dragons too!

TellingTime.jpg

SeraAvenger.jpg

Savra.jpg

Cool! :D Are those watercolour? Gouache? Acrylics? Computer graphics?...or all of the mentioned...? :lol:

Oh! And I almost forgot, I've illustrated a bike! Here is a ink piece I did for 'The Spiderwick Chronicals' (They had a guest artist section in the collected novel). Freakin Jared (from the book) rocking a Stingray! Some day I shall have one!

SpiderwickFinish.jpg

Galtbacken said:
Cool! :D Are those watercolour? Gouache? Acrylics? Computer graphics?...or all of the mentioned...? :lol:

All of the above! Often I will do a digital underpainting and fling the oilpaint on top of that, so things like faces and hands are all oil paint. But for kidsbook stuff I am hitting the watercolor. Some pieces are 100% digital though, like this one! More and more on the sci-fi work I am all digital. Saves so much time!!! I am mostly Photoshop for a program. But used a bit of Artrage on this one too.
KillBoxFinishFlat.jpg

Here's a way to combine your robot skills with the bikes....

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

This bike showed up at a local bike show last year here in Dallas.

The guy pressed a button and the jaw on the front dropped down and fire shot out of the robot's mouth.

there is a garage down the street for me that has a '71 Datsun pickup for sale. I have always like them. welcome to the forums.

kram said:
Hey Scott, very cool to see you on here. I'm familiar with your work and I've checked out your website many times. A big congratulations on your book making it into the cheerios boxes! Can't wait to see what you do with your bike.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys! Kram you have some very cool stuff on that website!

Tborner notied the Teisco guitars in my build thread so I thought I would add them here since I customized some of them!

Here is the photo:
MockUp1.jpg

Here is almost the whole family!
MyGuitars.jpg

Here is their bottom of the line guitar, and I challenged myself to make it kick ... using only vintage period parts (Though I made the pickguard!). I think it is my fave. It seems to have the most mojo.
FischerTeiscoTulipSM.jpg

I have a thing for self amplified guitars and this is one of the early ones. Teisco TRG1. Which I also customized up from a basket case! Striped Aluminum pickguards were a Teisco thing, so I enjoyed recreating it. I should try it on a bike!
TRG-1ATOMICSmall.jpg

Here is my most 'bizarre' fetish guitar. The Victoria. Pure Japanese nuttiness!
MyVictoriaSM.jpg

Rock on! (literally)

Latest posts

Back