Fisch- A newb with a Rear twin caliper Spyder

Discussion in 'INTROS' started by Fisch, May 24, 2010.

1. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

Hey cats! My name is Scott Fischer, and I went to the Brimfield antique show in MA (Just about the biggest in the country!) and I suddenly started noticing bikes again! I seriously have no bought a bike since I was in 8th grade (I'm 38). No joke! I saw a Yamaha moto-bike, and passed on the $300 he was asking for it, BUT I REMEMBERED. You know, remembered, what it was like to lust after that bike as a kid. So the bug had bitten and I find myself here! I've always customized things, from guitars to cars, so this place feels right at home for me!

Next thing you know I am scouring CL for bikes. Thought I'd start with a bit of muscle, and there it was, '69 Sears Spyder (with the twin rear brakes). $50
    [​IMG]

I think it looked way worse in person so we agreed on $35 and I was on my way home, thinking, what the heck did I just buy, yikes! But I started to feel better when the tires held air in the driveway. This is how it looked. I saw some potential. A cheap set of pedals after this, and it is even a rider as is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just got it last Fri, I felt a joy I hadn't known in years just pedaling fiugre 8's in the driveway with this rusty Spyder. But then I popped the rear tire, and broke a rusty spoke, most are frozen and way off. Also STEEL WOOL is the coolest thing ever! I could not believe how well this chrome cleaned up (except the rear tire.)

So it has been 4 days or so, the bike is now fully apart the frame sanded to metal and a healthy coat of Master Series Silver primer (like POR 15) is waiting to be wet sanded down. I have big ideas in my head we shall see how far I get! (I'll start a project thread.)

A bit about me, I am a professional illustrator. I do everything from novelcovers to computer game concept design, to kids books. My latest kidsbook, JUMP has been selected to go into over a million Cheerios boxes this fall, so that is pretty cool!
    [​IMG]

You can see my Sci-fi fantasy art at my website http://www.fischart.com

Also I am big into old cars and my breed of choice are Datsuns! I amd a moderator at http://www.ratsun.net and have a 1971 521 pickup, and a 1959 Datsun 1000!!!

Here is the 71 (Bet I could fit alot of bikes in the back!)
    [​IMG]
    The interior!
    [​IMG]

Here is the '59 as it sits (w/ me in it.)
    [​IMG]

Here is where I am going with it! (Photoshop)
    [​IMG]

Finally I love to draw Datsuns in my spare time (might have to draw a few bikes now too!) Here is my latest based on my truck.
    [​IMG]

And a link to a bunch more if you are interested!
    http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=16727

I look forward to digging in more around here!

I met a cool guy yesterday at the Dudly MA show and Swap (first bike show, so fun!) I think his name was Steve? Into muscle bikes. Had done an Iverson up like the starship Enterprise. Has a white goatee. And he said he was a member here, so if you are reading, nice meeting you!!

2. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Staff Member Moderator Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Welcome Scott! :D

Love your illustrations and your Datsuns!

3. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

Thanks for the welcome! You have a great forum here (Been visiting every few hours for about a week now!). The graphics are hot, the people cool as heck, and the bikes.... flippin SWEET!

I tell you, coming from working on cars, I gotta say I love the simplicity of a bike! I had the whole thing apart in the kitchen in a couple hours! Took me 3 days to get the stuck rear drum off that '59 Datsun!!

BTW here is a link if y'all want to check out the full story on that '59! Only about 1000 of them ever came into the country, and I know of about 22 still out there!
    http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=15083

Also, started a project thread for the Spyder!

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27068

So I also build robot puppets out of junk! (Which will influence this bike for sure! Might have to make it a talking bike!) Here is the gang! Being a children's book author I take them to schools and libraries with me. The kids go NUTS!!
    Emmerson He is basically a full on muppet.:
    [​IMG]

D.O.G.
    [​IMG]

Mr Mojo Robo
    [​IMG]

Just a piece of wall art:
    [​IMG]

So as you can see I have always been a tinkerer, which is why I love this place. You guys are so innovative! It is inspiring!

4. CCR

CCR Certified Man-Child Moderator

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Welcome !!! id be lie'n if i said i wasnt jealous of that kinda talent.

5. Galtbacken

Galtbacken

0   0   0

Welcome! :D Oh, I like your artwork, and those robots! I'll be a treat to see the bikes you'll build, really looking forward to it!

6. Gold Street Customs

Gold Street Customs

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Dude !! (I'm from California I can get away with it) I can't wait till you put all that creativity into a bike, very impressive,and welcome

7. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

Thanks again dudes! Here is a bit of my more grown up sci-fi art. I do Novel covers. Computer concept design (just finished gigging for Disney on the new Tron stuff! I didn't work on the light cycle, but it is flipping rad!!) Also spent a lot of time working on trading card games like MAgic- the gathering. Some time with Dungeons and Dragons too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Galtbacken

Galtbacken

0   0   0

Cool! :D Are those watercolour? Gouache? Acrylics? Computer graphics?...or all of the mentioned...? :lol:

9. Ace

Ace

0   0   0

Wow, that's some cool stuff you make 8) welcome !

10. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

Oh! And I almost forgot, I've illustrated a bike! Here is a ink piece I did for 'The Spiderwick Chronicals' (They had a guest artist section in the collected novel). Freakin Jared (from the book) rocking a Stingray! Some day I shall have one!

[​IMG]

11. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

All of the above! Often I will do a digital underpainting and fling the oilpaint on top of that, so things like faces and hands are all oil paint. But for kidsbook stuff I am hitting the watercolor. Some pieces are 100% digital though, like this one! More and more on the sci-fi work I am all digital. Saves so much time!!! I am mostly Photoshop for a program. But used a bit of Artrage on this one too.
    [​IMG]

12. Galtbacken

Galtbacken

0   0   0

My guess would have been that you mix techniques. :) Really nice work! Thanks for sharing!

13. kram

kram

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Hey Scott, very cool to see you on here. I'm familiar with your work and I've checked out your website many times. A big congratulations on your book making it into the cheerios boxes! Can't wait to see what you do with your bike.

14. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Scott those robots are incredible.

Why do I think you're parents have no hair left?...ha ha! :lol:

15. Hooch

Hooch

0   0   0

very cool stuff welcome to the site!

16. Rat Rod

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Here's a way to combine your robot skills with the bikes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bike showed up at a local bike show last year here in Dallas.

The guy pressed a button and the jaw on the front dropped down and fire shot out of the robot's mouth.

17. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!! Wow, I am blown freakin away with that one. Fire!? Coolest of the cool! Thanks for sharing this!

18. ifitsfreeitsforme

ifitsfreeitsforme Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

there is a garage down the street for me that has a '71 Datsun pickup for sale. I have always like them. welcome to the forums.

19. Markm

Markm

0   0   0

welcome :mrgreen:

20. Fisch

Fisch

0   0   0

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys! Kram you have some very cool stuff on that website!

Tborner notied the Teisco guitars in my build thread so I thought I would add them here since I customized some of them!

Here is the photo:
    [​IMG]

Here is almost the whole family!
    [​IMG]

Here is their bottom of the line guitar, and I challenged myself to make it kick ... using only vintage period parts (Though I made the pickguard!). I think it is my fave. It seems to have the most mojo.
    [​IMG]

I have a thing for self amplified guitars and this is one of the early ones. Teisco TRG1. Which I also customized up from a basket case! Striped Aluminum pickguards were a Teisco thing, so I enjoyed recreating it. I should try it on a bike!
    [​IMG]

Here is my most 'bizarre' fetish guitar. The Victoria. Pure Japanese nuttiness!
    [​IMG]

Rock on! (literally)