First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years, he never forgot

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the great comments. :D I'll try to add Dairy Queen pictures when that happens
I'm pretty sure that was his driving force the whole time :lol:
Yeah, maybe a trike is the next step.

largek9 said:
This post hits it home for me I just lost my dad yesterday! He built my first two bikes as a kid, out of parts and old bikes :) Great post, thanks in many ways Tom!
I'm so sorry to here that. Please accept my condolences Tom. I'm glad it hits home for you.

I lost my own Dad about 6 years ago and my Mom about 10 years ago
My Dad bought me a Murray Eliminator when I was 10 years old, what a cool guy! I'm building a new version of it now.
My Mom would patch me up from all my wild wipeouts :lol:

The only bike story from my Dad's childhood was that he had a 300 paper paper-route and bought a nice bike with the money (early 40's). I'd love to have a picture to make a tribute bike. He defintiely was an great example of success from hard work!
Steve

Wonderful stroy.

Spend as much time as you can with those of the 'greatest generation'.

My Dad was 86 when he passed away 1 month ago. Although I never got him on a bike, I take comfort in sharing my passion of bikes with him.

Spin

100_0444-7.jpg

Great post Steve! Enjoy him while you can! I lost my dad way back in 87 & my mom in 2000. Some day you & your wife will look a those photos & you will be glad you documented the ride! He will never forget it either! A picture is worth a thousand words & you have something to show his grandkids & future generations to come. :D

PS: I'm gettin my mind set on the eliminator build for my grandson. Who knows, may even end up as my build off bike! :mrgreen:

Wow very cool! That's a happyface on that man. Enjoy life...Get on a bike and RIDE!!

Hey Guys, Thanks for the great replies.
Spinman, I'm sorry for your recent loss but really glad you posted a picture of your Dad. He looks cool and happy!
Glad to here you were able to make a bike connection.

I never got my own Dad on a bike either. He had severe dementia. I would tell him stories about us and he would get upset that he didn't remember. I said he didn't have to remember the stories and he could just enjoy me telling them. He felt better and we had quite a few laughs. Told him about the time he was teaching me how to ride (~5 years old) my sister's 26" Schwinn Hollywood (too short to sit). I told him I was talking to him for about 1/2 block before I realized he let go :lol: He laughed pretty hard at that one.

I couldn't agree with you more Pick. And that's a long time ago to lose your parents, sorry.

I feel that I had great parents for a shorter time. But it was sure better than having bad parents for a long time.

I'm totally there with all you guys about trying to connect. It sometimes takes a lot of patience (something I'm not so good at). I'm glad I finally may have connected with my wife's Dad. I think in his world, I'm more or less a guy that stops by once in a while. Maybe now I can at least be the "Ride to Dairy Queen" guy :lol:

Steve

That's a great story! It's touching. I'm glad he was able to enjoy this ride and soon the Dairy Queen ride with the DQ man.
It reminded me of my grand dad. He's around 90 years old now and he still rides his old 10 speeds in the summer time. He got that bike back in the early 70's. He maintain it and ride at least once a week. He's quite the man.

Eclipse said:
That's a great story! It's touching. I'm glad he was able to enjoy this ride and soon the Dairy Queen ride with the DQ man.
It reminded me of my grand dad. He's around 90 years old now and he still rides his old 10 speeds in the summer time. He got that bike back in the early 70's. He maintain it and ride at least once a week. He's quite the man.
Thanks Eclipse. You've got a great story too. 90! Wow, that's fantastic! Definitely inspirational.

We'll I saw my wife's Dad's face light up today when I reminded him we were going to ride the bikes to DQ.
My wife found some sun glasses so he wouldn't have to squint. 8) He was rock steady with the bike again today :D
He is actually smiling (without prompting)
IMG_5533II.jpg

Saw him hit a bump and his feet popped off the pedals, he remained calmed and recover perfectly.
That was on the way to DQ so he was still pretty motivated at that point :lol:
IMG_5534II.jpg

He did great with traffic and we totally enjoyed our DQs (stole Randy's reflection shot)
IMG_5540III.jpg

He was ready to ride again but we made him do a few more pics (my wife trying to get him to laugh :lol: )
IMG_5543II.jpg

Second time in 2 days to DQ
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30493&start=60
It was another good day, Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, made it to DQ today

Hey Everbody,
Got my Father-In-Law out today with me alone. He did great again!
IMG_5649II.jpg

Tried for DQ but it was closed. Went across the street and got some Ice cream sandwiches instead (one of his personal favorites)

When we got back (fighting a head wind gusting 25mph) asked him if he wanted to try the red bike (JC Higgins)
He swung his leg over the seat easily and stared at me with his really dry sense of humor. :lol:
Before I could grab the helmet he was off and I worried a bit but he did great. Will stick to the helmet from now on though...
IMg_5651II.jpg

So next week, he can take a cooler bike. :D Think I have a great reason to fancy up that bike...
Trying to find out what he likes, might be a bit difficult but worth a try.

Then he helped me put some smooth/fat tires on my Step Sons's bike so he may want to get out more
My FIL says, "So you're taking off the snow tires". Think he liked helping out or a least watching me :lol:
IMG_5652II.jpg

It was a Good Day. Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, DQ again, kinda

The best medicine you can get your hands on for promoting the health and well being of your father in law. There will be severe side effects for you and your wife. You will notice increased happiness and long term great memories :D Just one more reason I enjoy this site so much, Thanks for sharing

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, DQ again, kinda

Hey Everybody,
As promised, my FIL took the JC Higgins to the DQ today (70F Sunny) :D
IMG_5662III.jpg

He was pretty excited. The Higgins was heavier and the fenders rattled but he did fine.
Tried to jog his memory of his bicycles but no luck. Though maybe the rattling might help

So we're waiting in line, with our backs to the street, and he says"That's a Harley"
We turned around to see a group of nice and loud Harleys cruise by, he knew...
Remembered that he had a Harley and it must have brought back some good memories

He had a dip cone and I had a cookie dough blizzard, mmm
IMG_5663III.jpg

Heading home, he said that his HD seat was a lot bigger and he laughed
Think he was getting vibes of his HD from the JC Higgins, perfect
IMG_5664II.jpg

So remembered seeing some MC old photos so "digitized them, old school"
IMG_5669II.jpg

He had some pretty cool rides.Think there is a build in there somewhere...
2 cylinder Bobber and 2 full dress HDs, 8)
My wife figures they were taken before he went in the Korean War around early 50s
Think the Bobber tire looks kinda like a Thick Brick...
Can't recognize what some of them are, so could use some help

We both had a good day. Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, HD memories w/pics

Nice! :D All HD's except for the top and bottom left :wink: It's a Brit bike, looks like a Matchless :mrgreen:

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, HD memories w/pics

Hey Everbody,
Thanks for the info Schwinnray
There are 3 bikes: on left 2 pics of the Bobber, then single pic of 1st HD (mid left bottom) then 3 pics of 2nd HD on right
I was able to do a better job of blowing up the pictures to identify them
Here is a 1951 Ariel Square 4 (cylinders) 4G 1000cc, cool how it had 4 cylinders in a square, 2 cranks and then they were geared together (?!)
IMG_5688III.jpg

The 2nd HD is approximately 1954 HD “74” Duo Glide
IMG_5691II.jpg

So we took off yesterday for DQ. It was cool and a bit breezy
My FIL surprised me by accelerating quickly, he wanted to race :D
So we took off and we probably got up to about 15 mph in a block, awesome
Great to see he is getting stronger and more confident

IMG_5743II.jpg

He got a small cone and I got a PB cup blizzard
His hat dropped out of his pocket on the way and he was worried that is was lost
So there had to be reassuring going on (many times) about how we will probably find it
And sure enough we did! Then reassuring continued on how it was in my zipped pocket…

When we got home he says “So we can go in now and have an ice cream sandwich, right?’
I replied "I don’t think so". He always up to something… :lol:

So we both had a good ride and DQ.
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, MC ID, wants to race

Looks like fun! :p

At least I was right it was a Brit Bike :mrgreen:

Hey Nick
You’ve got a good eye to see it was a Brit bike from that small picture I originally posted. :wink:
Had to enlarge the digitals to find the Areial with help from my colleague, another Brit bike fan.

Hey Randy,
You’re right about motivation and destination. Its funny how many organized rides end at a DQ or Bar :lol:
And more fun to ride around the lakes or a river route then ride out one way, turn around then head back

Think my FIL is actually starting to enjoy it for the ride too, after seeing he wanted to race
Have been waiting until he get stronger then we’ll try farther.
Maybe if we go farther and things go smoother (because I am learning more), some of his anxieties may be reduced and he can enjoy it better.

Going to have him try my wife’s Hercules. It’s about 6lbs lighter, less clunky, and rolls super smooth.
If he wants to go faster, that might be a better bike for him
Stay tuned…

you can tell an Ariel from a mile away, cuz the engine looks like a human heart (or so they say). Great pictures.

Hey Everybody,
A little cool yesterday but we went to DQ. I gave my FIL , my wife’s Hercules to ride.
My wife and me really like it because it’s light (24lbs) and rolls super smooth
27Apr12019_2.jpg

I asked him if he thought it was cool and he said “Not as cool as my Harley”. (Oh that hurt :lol:)
He was happy with his Med Dip cone. I tried a Mini Blizzard Oreo CheeseQuake. Mmm
He offered to pay but I said I would cover it :D
27Apr12021_2.jpg

A unrequested smile:

27Apr12020_2.jpg

Found out the ride is 3.2 miles round trip and we peaked out at 12mph but mostly 10mph

When we got back he tried his trick again with “so now we can go in and have an Ice cream sandwich right?”.
I said I didn’t think so. I think it will be a “thing” for now on…

I took his hat in my zippered pocket and we both had less stress.
Also I’m learning to communicate with him using hand signals.
He has some hearing issues which complicates giving him detail instructions on direction and proceeding through the intersection.
He gets a kinda upset when I don’t tell him every intersection so now I wave my arm for the direction
along with verbally saying it and giving the “thumbs up” or “stop” to go through the intersection.
It seems to be working out better for both of us. I’m learning…

I asked him if he rather ride the Hercules or the JC Higgins and he said the JC Higgins.
That’s good, so I’ll maybe start looking for accessories like his HD for it
I think the JC Higgins rides less twitchy and his seating position is better

When my wife asked him how the ride was, he gave her a big smile and said “Terrific!”
So we both had a good day. Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Higgins over Hercules

Got out on our weekly ride to DQ last Saturday
Things are going smoother with me remembering to give better/consistent directions

A few weeks ago he mentioned that the seat was larg on his HD.
Looked again at the picture and it is HUGE! (scroll up/back 5 pictures)
It sticks up kinda funny too. ?! So i asked him why his seat was so large.
He said he would take his girllfirend for a ride. :lol:Now that's thinking!

Put a couple of red valve stem caps on and he seemed to like it
So asked him about putting a headlight on and he said "Sure!"
Think I'll start looking for a rear rack and some type of saddle bags too
He looks much more comfortable on the Higgins, likes using the front rack now too :D
4May12001_2.jpg

One great thing happend but I missed a picture
Asked him to put his bike away so he started walking it back to the garage
Looked up and he was "scooting" it down the sidewalk :D :D
(you're on the left side of the bike with your left foot on the left pedal and pushing yourself off with your right foot)
Think he's having some fun and it's bringin the kid out in him

We talked for a while after the ride and he told me about his childhood farming days 8)

Almost opened a can of worms though, found out the true motivation
He says to my wife last week, "I think I can go for a ride by myself, I'll only go to Lake street"
The DQ is on Lake street :lol: He really can't go by himself so he''ll just have to wait for me

Asking for a Ice Cream Sandwich when we get back is now a running joke (his humor is so dry it's kinda hard to tell :lol:)

Again he said the ride (and probobly more importantly the DQ) was "Terrific"

Think he's starting to remember more about me, he asked who the guy was that he rides with to DQ
My wife told him that it was Steve and I was her husband.
Maybe that DQ guy does has a name :lol:

It was a good day. Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, He "scooted"!

This is a great. I feel like I am reading a movie script.

Kudos to you for getting him out riding and remembering. Cross body movement(like biking) helps keep the brain and body active.

Latest posts

Back