First Ride in 50+ years: 2020 Update

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
This is just what we needed for some 2020 relief!!! A good shot of FIL was long overdue and just the right medicine!!!! Thanks Steve!. I was eating lunch in a DQ a month ago and smiled when it came time to eat my sundae. I could see FIL's sundae smile clear as day. Great to hear that all is still well with you and yours. I'm digging the Rona Beard on FIL.
Thanks so much for the update! I hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!!!
Give FIL a hug from us all!!!!

Apr 26, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to RRB this year and just discovered this beautiful thread. I read some of the earlier pages this morning. I lost my father 24 years ago to a massive heart attack when i was 29. Watching him fixing and making things from a young age is the reason i spend a lot of my spare time bringing old things back to life. Fortunately i made a new good mate in my father in law. He is now 80 and still going strong. He has a hobby farm with over 300 olive trees and up until this year was still climbing the trees and shaking the olives out of them. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences with us all. All the best to FIL and your family for Christmas and the New Year from a new Aussie fan.

Last edited:
May 2, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the nice comments. :)
My Wife liked all the responses.
Glad you enjoyed the post!:thumbsup:
Really happy to hear from the regulars (and some new people) when I was more active. :)

Kingfish-glad a DQ could give you a smile.
My Wife will take care of he Hugs

Dr T, Deorman, and OddJob: Thanks so much!

Matti-Good to hear you'll be getting out with your Dad soon

Skipton- Thank You!

JA331-sorry to hear about your Dad.
Glad to hear you made a connection with your Father In Law.
He sounds like a great (and amazing) guy! Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks to the rest of you for checking out the tread. :hi:

I finally got FIL's attention and he wanted to show off his favorite Christmas presents this year.
Gift cetificates to McDonalds and DQ!
FILxmas2020.jpg

Thanks for Looking
Steve

Jun 27, 2017
Willow Spring, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MplsCoaster,

Not sure how I missed this thread, but glad I found it.
Your FIL reminds me some of my maternal Grandpa. The ornery streak and subtle joking. Grandpa also rode a motorcycle when he was young. When a young lady dropped handkerchief when he rode by he would swing around, lean over and grab it up in his teeth. Grandpa didn't scuba and stuff, but he built a Model T speedster he drove up and down the alley behind their house!!
The main thing your thread hit me with was the similarities between you and your wife's dementia/Alzheimer's experience and my wife's and mine. my FIL died several years ago from complications of dementia. We brought my MIL (mother in law) to live with us in the spring of 2017, moving her from her native Arkansas to our home in NC. The repeated questions, the not remembering something new belonged to them (in her case her new house and bedroom), and the "shutdown robot impersonations" when overwhelmed. 2020 seemed to be bad for her. She is still with us, but my wife is having to constantly care for her now, as your wife with her mom.
These diseases are horrible how they tear down once vibrant people into helpless over-sized infants. Hope your FIL has many more good years. And lots of ice cream!