First build in a year or so..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really busy being lazy and also working on computer stuff but decided to build a bike. This bike has been in the trunk of my car for who knows how long. It's a 50's somethin or another, I think it's a Mercury. Coolest part is the chain guard. Going to have it built and sold in 10 days or less starting today(or at least that is my goal anyway).

P1010674.jpg

cool old Musselman coaster hub
P1010676.jpg

chunky chainguard
P1010678.jpg

found some decent heavy weight schwinn fenders in the scrap heap, and banged the dents out then put them in primer
P1010680.jpg

Got frame and fork into the cream base coat. Got too dark to really see the color. Things should start to get more interesting...

P1010681.jpg

Painted all the black bits tonight. Below is a shot of the chainguard pre-pinstriped. Stripes will clean up the lines a lot. Original plan was to stripe it all in red but now I'm thinking that may get too busy colorwise, so maybe a true white..... or maybe I'll stick with the red....need to do some tests. Also does any one know when Murray stopped branding their bikes as Mercurys? Preliminary web research says 40's but does anyone here know for sure?

P1010685.jpg

Thanks cman. Here are some more pre-pinstriped shots of the rest of the bike. Pinstripes will happen tomorrow, hope I don't screw them up.
P1010687.jpg

P1010688.jpg

P1010689.jpg

How are you painting the bike? Gun? That can't be rattlecan cause it's very smooth..Nice work so far.I like the fact you went opposite on the paint scheme..we usually see white or lighter colors on the fender tips.

FaceOFFbikes said:
How are you painting the bike? Gun? That can't be rattlecan cause it's very smooth..Nice work so far.I like the fact you went opposite on the paint scheme..we usually see white or lighter colors on the fender tips.

It's rattle can, the key is to have a smooth primer base.
tikiharl said:
Very nice build Brian. I really like that paint combo,very clean lines. I like it the way it is now,hopefully the pinstripes won't make it too "busy".Glad to see you back on. :wink: 8)
Hey Harley, how have you been? Pinstripes were a distaster, it's hard to cover black with white and I went to clean a mistake and it lifted the black paint! I think I'm going to wait for the white stripes I did to dry and then go back over them in black and just clean it all up using black with no stripes.

Amazing paintwork! That bike looks absolutely great!

WOW!!! :shock: this bike looks way to cool for school!!! 8) 8) 8) this bike has definately given me inspiration to work on my taping skills. amazing work bro. probably my favorite girls bike on the site!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Easy E

Latest posts

Back