First Build - Briggs Thing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know anything bout plugging tubes.... Think it should just go back to replacing the whole rear triangle with some wider more heavy duty stuff?

Plugging simply means either machining or finding other pipe in a small length that fits inside the tubing for strength...... whereas i simply cut "V's" in my rear triangle, bent the tube and rewelded. Obviously the plugging one will be stronger, but is it necessary? I dunno, hopefully someone else knows and can provide input

Oh! Yes, i did that with a chopper i built, raked the head, then needed to extend the forks, so i plugged em. They seem really strong, so i think that would definately be the the way to go.

I showed dad your Villiers build Harry, now he convincing me there is no other way to go then one of those little Villers, i have one but the crankshaft has a fair bit of play and is missing all its ignition except the coil... Maybe i should just go with a Villiers? What do ya reckon?

I havent really got my Villiers running yet so i cant comment on how good they are. Mainly because ive neglected it to build my girlfriend a bike so ill have someone to ride with. I did ride it but the gearing was totally wrong, but it was still fun, mainly only because i built it. I have put a way smaller front pulley on but had trouble pedalling it because the primary belt wouldnt slip, meaning i couldnt pedal it to start it. I need to make a bracket to push on the top of the belt to allow it to slip, then hopefully i could give you a better idea.

I think the Villiers is a far nicer looking motor, but the Briggs would be the better motor for a bike: more power, 4 stroke (quieter, no smoke, no need to mix or carry oil), being able to use an off the shelf centrifugal clutch or cvt, more aftermarket parts, possibility of pull start.

Another thing to consider is unless you live in Australia, New Zealand or England my guess is you will find it hard to get one without importing one, but i could be wrong...

I live in Australia, i found a whole ATCO mower the other day in one of dads customers sheds up the back of their property. The lady said i could have it, so i brought it home, but dad isnt keen on me taking it apart, he says its a piece of history.... :roll: So im thinking maybe build this briggs bike, see how it goes, learn how to do it all, then do it again, but a much nicer looking bike with a Villiers. By the way your bike that you are building for your girlfriend looks hot. Its really nice, how did that intake manifold go? The belt guard is pretty impressive.

Last week i just found out im gonna be a dad so i havent had the chance to work on my bikes. Hopefully this week i may get both running.

Yeah if you live in Australia, do a Villiers build for sure. I think your Briggs will ride nicer but i agree the Villiers are nicer looking, i have four of em. Ive found the cheapest way to get em is to buy a complete cylinder mower on EBay, and you get a kickstart, cool fuel tank, throttle lever, metal and tubing as well as a clutch and sprockets and chain if you can figure out how to use em. I dont think the clutch is strong enough, but i aint no expert.

Theres a guy in New Zealand thats is building a twin engined Villiers build http://motorbicycling.com/f36/villiers- ... 30023.html

Congratulations on becoming a dad! I hope you get them going. :D
I think ill stick with my Briggs for now, Villiers later...

harry76 said:
Last week i just found out im gonna be a dad so i havent had the chance to work on my bikes. Hopefully this week i may get both running.

Yeah if you live in Australia, do a Villiers build for sure. I think your Briggs will ride nicer but i agree the Villiers are nicer looking, i have four of em. Ive found the cheapest way to get em is to buy a complete cylinder mower on EBay, and you get a kickstart, cool fuel tank, throttle lever, metal and tubing as well as a clutch and sprockets and chain if you can figure out how to use em. I dont think the clutch is strong enough, but i aint no expert.

Theres a guy in New Zealand thats is building a twin engined Villiers build http://motorbicycling.com/f36/villiers- ... 30023.html
LOL. Now you have to build a trailer or a sidecar for her bike to carry the baby in ;)

AKB said:
harry76 said:

LOL. Now you have to build a trailer or a sidecar for her bike to carry the baby in ;)
Too true. :p

AKB said:
harry76 said:

Haha like i need more projects, but yeah ive already planned a sidecar build (bicycle though, as motorized bikes are illegal here) and a little pedal car :wink: :wink:

Well, got a seat for this build, free :D Im starting to lean towards this becoming a board tracker. I just love the way board trackers look.
IMG_0061.jpg

Hey guys, i got the sheave mounted up, and it didnt spin true. i also modded the frame up to allow for the shaeve to fit and it ended up being fugly so i quit all together on the sheave idea. So now i have decided to for a chain secondary drive so that i wont have to modify the frame or anything and still use belt primary so i can use a slipper clutch.
IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how to bolt this on? I was thinking use a similar principle to the Chinese kits and put bolts through that tighten the sprocket to the spokes. I also have to go ahead and find myself another frame now, i really liked that other one :( Im also really considering usig my little Villiers engine in it..... What do you guys reckon?

you could try to find a sprocket that threads onto the hub with the correct tooth count and spacing to line up with the holes in that larger sprocket you have. bolt em together. the 72t sprocket i plan to use on my boardtracker will bolt right up to a 16t sprocket. and do you have the slanted fin viliers or the straight fin one? either way i'd use it. those things look perfect for a boardtracker. or sell it to me :wink:

Thanks Triton, its a slant fin Midget, Mk1 i believe? Its in pieces at the moment coz im trying to get it painted and an electronic ignition sorted out for it. Does anyone know, when i took the barrel off, i was looking at the piston, very little scuffing and the rings look fine, however there is a fair bit of play where the conrod connects onto the crank pin. Is this meant to be there or will i need to replace something?

my tecumseh is pretty much the same. its got a clean bore and i can still see crosshatching! it was in a snowblower so i imagine its got pretty low hours on it. but there is side to side play where the connecting rod attaches to the crankshaft. As far as i know this is fairly common and nothing to be concerned about.

Latest posts

Back