Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing - 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe

Interesting starting point, kingfish. That's a different tank than the one on mine. Is it the original tank for the bike? Now I'm curious if anyone else will enter a 3-Star.

expjawa said:
Interesting starting point, kingfish. That's a different tank than the one on mine. Is it the original tank for the bike? Now I'm curious if anyone else will enter a 3-Star.

My tank isn't original, but it is year and model appropriate. What year is your Columbia?
Here is a 1953 catalog. It doesn't show the rare :) FireWing but you get the picture.

i23n.jpg

I wasn't able to pin down year for mine, the serial number is partially ground off. It looks like someone ground down the surface on both dropouts for some reason. The serial number was partly obliterated in the process. I admit, though, that I haven't looked at it real closely yet to see if the stamping can still be partly made out still or not with some clean up. FWIW, the 3-Star that I saw last weekend for $600 at Spring Carlisle had the same tank as mine:

Maybe I can narrow it down from catalog pages like you posted. Looks we have different chain guards too.

Re: FireWing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Parts and Photos Aded

Thanks for all of the well wishes everyone. I got around to adding some more description, photos, and parts to the first bookmarked posts.
This is going to be a fun build for me and a bit unusual, because I have a pretty clear image in my head for this bike. BEER RUN and Flexy were freestyle builds. FireWing is more defined. I guess it helps when you're bring a rare edition (grape krate) :lol: back to life.

LET THE FUN BEGIN
MO FIRE MO WING :p

Re: FireWing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Parts + Photos Added

Just looked at your new pictures. It looks like you and I are thinking on eerily similar lines on a number of detail points for our two 3-Stars... :shock: Not entirely the same, mind you, but very similar 8)

expjawa said:
Just looked at your new pictures. It looks like you and I are thinking on eerily similar lines on a number of detail points for our two 3-Stars... :shock: Not entirely the same, mind you, but very similar 8)

Great minds..................DRINK BEER!

Interesting!! :shock:

Re: FireWing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - First Real Mockups

As some of you will remember, I do a lot of mockups. I have a very small shop and there isn't that much room to step back and contemplate my build. So tonight, before I start breaking down the bike, I decided to do a few mockups to check my plans.

Here goes. As always, opinions are welcome.
I popped this spring saddle on to see how it worked and I think I like it better than the nanner idea.
I also mocked the shifter, ramshorns, pedals, and fatti-os on electra polished silver rims.

Then I tried out the flaming skull fender light idea (with FireWing head fin)

Followed by a test of a couple of different rear tires
First the Hoggy Gs with red rims, followed by the Creme Thick Bricks on chrome rims

Then the angles with the nanner seat

Bring on the mockups! Always interesting...
Those fat tires inside the fat fenders are a cool look
You've got so many great parts, looking forward to your build

flexy will be jealous

This build is so freaking cool! Each option you posted looks like a winner to me!

Cant believe your finished!!!! :shock: :roll:

The rust n cream look great together....'Rust is my fave color'
Bars are fantastic...N I think I like the nannnnna ,gives that nasty look... :D

Funkme said:
Cant believe your finished!!!! :shock: :roll:

The rust n cream look great together....'Rust is my fave color'
Bars are fantastic...N I think I like the nannnnna ,gives that nasty look... :D
The nanner has to stay...

Seems fenders are in style this year. Looks great, I am sure it will be amazing.

Latest posts

Back