**FINISHED** The Begining of my 26" BMX Santa Barbara Cruiser Build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So I'm a big fan of 26" BMX Cruisers - from modified Schwinns all the way up to the ultimate Cook Brothers Racing (CBR) 26' Cruiser, I love them all. A little while back, I learned about Rex Stephen's hand-built Santa Barbara Cruiser frames from Ryan Partridge. They have very similar geometry to the 26" Cook Frames. I decided to order a mild steel frame from Rex because it was his entry level frame, and I thought I could save a few bucks. After some confusion and delay, I finally got my frame. Although it wasn't mild steel like I had ordered. To address the delay and confusion with my order, Rex had upgraded my frame to a beautiful Cro-Mo frame, threw in one of his incredible laid back seat posts, included a SBC T-shirt, decals and a hat! All of the extras were Rex making it right for me based on the delay and confusion. Great guy for sure!
Rex Packing my frame and goodies for shipment from SoCal to NC.

For the fork, I had Johnny True Torch build a custom 1-1/8 threadless, non-drilled fork with Bottema dropouts for the build. Pic of Johnny with his work of art.

I have most of the parts for the rest of this build and it should go fairly quickly now that things will all be in one place. Here's a run down...
  • Gold 26" Ukai rims w/ coaster
  • Takagi One Piece Cranks
  • Gold Sugino chainwheel
  • Sugino Spider
  • NOS Tioga BB
  • New Atomic Paul's Nickel Plated Crook Brothers bars - CBR Replica Bars
  • New Silver Rough Neck Stem - 1-1/8 threadless
  • New Rapid Al's Nickel Plated braced laid back post
  • New Brooks Saddle
  • Helix Seat Clamp - looks kinda like a Cooks

Stay tuned - I will post more pics later, but for now, you can check out Ryan's SBC cruiser on BMX MUSEUM here -

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/santa_barbara_cruisers/

Quick update: So, I finally got around to doing some work on this build and discovered the steer tube on the fork is about 2 inches too short. Sent it back to Johnny today, and he's going to add the extension. Once I get that back, the build will pick up speed. I've also exchanged the new silver Rough Neck Stem - 1-1/8 threadless for a gold one. These stems are made in the US and have retro look to them. Here's a picture of them
http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=525
Can't wait to get this build going! :)

Gotta love a coaster-brake cruiser..... More pics, when ya can!

Bendix Red Band coaster will supply the stopping power. Frame and fork are non-drilled by choice.

PS- how come Rex doesn't have a website and info on his frames and stuff?? Seems like everything on the web about the Santa Barbara Cruisers is to be found on forums and whatnot...

PS- how come Rex doesn't have a website and info on his frames and stuff?? Seems like everything on the web about the Santa Barbara Cruisers is to be found on forums and whatnot...

I found an article that says
" these cruisers are built here in Santa Barbara by appointment only…meaning, essentially, you need to know the right people. In any case, you can see a few of these bikes around town and they will all blow your mind."
http://wayofthebicycle.com/2013/11/30/mike/

Wow. That's some exclusivity. I better just get some hubs so I can build some wheels for my Genuine, until I get to know the "right ppl". :21::crazy::21:

Yet again another change to the project.
Got the frame back and went with the color 'dormant orange'. Changing the theme to be more modern and clean.
Parts now consist of:

• 26" H Plus Son Todestrieb silver rims w/ bendix coaster

• Shimano 600 3 piece Cranks
  • Suntour Chainwheel
  • Turativ BB converter
  • New Atomic Paul's Nickel Plated Crook Brothers bars - CBR Replica Bars
  • New Silver Rough Neck Stem - 1-1/8 threadless
  • Santa Barbara Cruiser solid polished laid back seat post
  • New Brooks Saddle - Honey Color
  • Brooks Grips - Honey
  • Helix Seat Clamp - looks kinda like a Cooks
  • Chrome Landing Gear Threadless Forks
  • Chris King Threadless Headset

I powdered my mtb that same color.... looks awesome! I'm loving the build, and was considering some todestriebs for one of my builds.... let me know how they turn out!

I've been tempted to grab some of Paul's bars, but the lack of knurling creeps me out.... what are your thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back