Finally got my Grandpas Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
He thinks its a '46 or '47. Crank isn't original since he broke it doing his paper route. He also had the rear wheel relaced with heavy gauge spokes when he bought it to accommodate his newspaper bags. It was repainted (poorly :cry: ) years ago. Non-locking springer, no tank, liberty badge, phantom style headlight. I'm looking for pics of one with original paint if anybody has any.

gpaslibertyschwinn.jpg

nice !, thats known as the DX frame ,i dont have a pic. of the paint sceam but i'm sure some one here has an example.....

That's a DX frame for sure. You can get a repop tank for that frame on ebay for $100. The crank was replaced with a prewar dogleg crank.(Prewar if it's a Schwinn crank) If you want the correct postwar crank I would gladly trade you one for that dogleg. 8) The front fender was replaced as DX's never came with a fenderlight. Does the back fender have a ducktail? If so, it was replaced as well. The rack isn't a Schwinn rack but I'm not sure what it came off of.

You can get stencils on ebay to repaint it with the correct graphics. Gary

Wheels are done!Repaint by myself but parts are original.

Pictures578.jpg

Pictures577.jpg

Pictures579.jpg

Thats top secret! There are two different ways depending on how you want to go about it. In the past I've painted the white, layed vinyl pinstripe tape and clearcoated over it. If course this isn't how it was originally done but its quick, cheap and semi-easy. The other method is to paint the base, lace them, put them in a truing stand and rig up a pinstripe brush so that it sits still while the wheel is spun. This takes some practice to get it set up but it looks way better when its done. If you're doing a high dollar resto I'd paint them. If you just want an accurate looking rider, vinyl is the way to go assuming you have access to a quality paint service. Bet you can't tell which method I did on these wheels? :D

Tailwinds said:
Ohdeebee, how did you accomplish the wheel pinstripes?!?!?!? Something I really want to do to a couple of sets I have.

I run two strips of 1/16" 3M Fine Line tape around the rim where the pinstripes will go. Then tape off the rest of the rim. Remove the 1/16" tape and paint. Gary

ADX012.jpg

Most of the paint is done. Started assembly today. More coming soon!

Shiny! :D
Pictures580.jpg

This one is for Mr."Boltnut"! Thanks again Ralph!
Pictures581.jpg

Springer
Pictures582.jpg

Left
Pictures583.jpg

Right
Pictures584.jpg

Chainguard is done. Fenders coming tomorrow.

Pictures643.jpg

Latest posts

Back