Fils bike? What is it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work as a bike mechanic that fixes up donated, and broken down road bikes for the shop to sell as a working bike. The bike has Fils written on both sides of the downtube in yellow. The bike is red. Fils means son in French.
The headbadge is a stick on one that says Tour du Monde (tour of the world) in small lettering. Below the Tour du Mond is Fils in big lettering. The bike has Falcon everything on it. It is a 3x5 drivetrain . This suggests mi 80s. It has a 3x cottered crankset. The name might suggest it is French, but it uses a Japanese/American headset with a 21.1mm quill stem. It uses a 25.8mm seatpost. I want to know if it has French BB threads or British/Asian threads.

More details.
The front wheel was quick release, while the rear was not.
It had the exact same cranks that were on a Firenze mountain bike.
It had center pull brakes with safety brake levers.
The bike was sparkly red with yellow logos.
The original cable housings were yellow.

Could it be a lower lineup or rebadge of a Peugeot? I remember seeing Peugeot with "Tour du Monde" stickers or something, though maybe that's just a generic kind of thing, like, GT is for cars. Maybe an Asian bike made to appear French?

Could it be a lower lineup or rebadge of a Peugeot? I remember seeing Peugeot with "Tour du Monde" stickers or something, though maybe that's just a generic kind of thing, like, GT is for cars. Maybe an Asian bike made to appear French?
It did not have Peugeot lugs. It was the same colors and design as a Firenze GL500. The Fils had waaay worse components then the Firenze. Maybe a cheaper version of a Firenze?

I bet it was made in Taiwan or Japan. That seems where most of the obscure "store branded" bike-boom bikes came from. Cottered cranks on a bike that late as well as falcon components would back that up.

I bet it was made in Taiwan or Japan. That seems where most of the obscure "store branded" bike-boom bikes came from. Cottered cranks on a bike that late as well as falcon components would back that up.
Keno is another one. They died around 1972 though.

I will be going there tomorrow. Last time I went to work on it on Wednesday, my phone was dying. I will make sure it is charged so I can take a picture. I did modify everything on Wednesday, so the picture will have it kitted out with parts it did not deserve.

Keno is another one. They died around 1972 though.

That must have been when they moved to the number card business. Way more money in gambling than bike building.

Is promised
20200110_181123.jpg

20200110_181134.jpg

20200110_181139.jpg

20200110_181143.jpg

Here is the finished bicycle.
20200110_202348.jpg

Been my experience that nice paint really helps flip bikes. So it's got that going for it. I'm more interested in the super heavy duty bike stand. Trying to figure out the clamp on the stand, are the jaws covered with old bike tubes? I was given an old Performance bike stand and its heavy enough but its got these wee rubber grips slid on an aluminum clamp and they keep sliding out. :(

Been my experience that nice paint really helps flip bikes. So it's got that going for it. I'm more interested in the super heavy duty bike stand. Trying to figure out the clamp on the stand, are the jaws covered with old bike tubes? I was given an old Performance bike stand and its heavy enough but its got these wee rubber grips slid on an aluminum clamp and they keep sliding out. :(
It is covered in old inner tubes. That was a recent addition. The clamps on the bike stand that were from the early 2000s started to wear down.

I saw a Rolls Racer yesterday. It is another obscure bicycle.

Latest posts

Back