fightin fires, possibly kickin tires as well (new pics 7-7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: fightin fires, possibly kickin tires as well

You are either a totally brave individual willing to jeopardize your own safety to help others in need... or, you're just young and crazy! Either way, I salute you and your spirit of volunteerism. Best of luck to you and stay safe! Gary

Close, I was an EMT for a few years in northeastern Mass with a private company. I'm guessing this is your first job as an emergency worker so I'll drop some advice. It's a job (kind of as a volunteer), and the goal is to come home every day about the same as you left. You're the most important person on scene. Followed by your squad. Followed by other responders. Followed by whoever needs help. If you try to be a hero, you won't last. When you have a hard day, hug your family. And the pace isn't what you see on TV.

There's lots of downtime, which is forced bonding of sorts. You end up knowing the people you work with better than some of your family. I've been to weddings where the only other time I saw the person was at work. A bit weird introducing myself as the groom's partner!

I worked last summer as a DNR Wildland Firefighter out of Shelton, WA. Plan on doing it again next summer. Through that job I worked with a lot of local volunteer firefighters as we all work together on wildland fires, just after the fun initial attack part they leave and stick us with mop up and paperwork! I did learn that all types of firefighting seem to be 90% downtime, and maybe 10% of the time it's really hard, but rewarding, work.

just went to my first drill. we got a brand new engine with a state of the art foam system that uses compressed air. i got to soak a building and paint it white with bubbles, but that thing has a nasty kick on it like a giant powerwasher

picture time
e3s.jpg

heres our new engine (grey roof) next to the older one we are replacing

nozzle.jpg

here i am learning the nozzle

foamtower3.jpg

playing with the compressed air foam system

foamtower2.jpg

i made a mess

foamtower.jpg

clean up

the foam freezes just like snow its weird

Re: fightin fires, possibly kickin tires as well (new pics)

heres some pics from our Memorial Day Parade

our newly restored '55 Mack engine 5
e5.jpg

our new 2009 KME engine 3
e3parade.jpg

e3ass.jpg

i got to blast the siren and the airhorn and whip candy at people, good times

Good on you for volunteering. Nice pics of the training and engines.

Thanks cman. i only have a week left in fire academy. I started in january, it really went by fast.
I havent been involved very long and it was really cool to be in the parade and hear literally hundreds of "Thank yous" and cheers from the crowd.
Its a good feeling to do something positive for the community, and I am proud to serve.

I passed the NJ State firefighter exam wiht an 84%
on paper i am now official, the ceremony is later on in the month
we also had our 175th anniversary parade the other weekend which had over 100 pieces of apparatus from 35 departments,
ill have lots of cool pics to post

my dad told me they used to train without the masks and SCBA's i dunno how, you absolutley cannot breathe in that heat.
we did a flashover simulator, we sat in a room that they let burn and it got up to well over 1700 degrees F, it was intense

Alot has changed over the years for firefighting, first aid, and hazmat crews.

I was a paid volunteer in Maine for 3 years, and volunteer and wildland/forest firefighter in Colorado for several more.

My uncle has some great stories of fighting fires without SCBA. All they used back then was helmet, coat, gloves and tall boots. He's gone through roofs, been blown out of doors, and essentially seen alot of the unsafer side of firefighting. But like I said, alot has changed.

I've been on some interesting calls myself. 9 alarm mutual aid fires that we'd end up running 6 or 7 30 minute bottles on. Aircraft fires, grass fires, fuel spills, propane leaks, and a ton of car accidents, you name it. It only takes a few years to see alot of crazy stuff.
I trained on MSA's, 2A's and 2.2s,...with 30 min steel tanks, but i'm sure you guys are all getting nice new fiber 45min bottles these days.
The actual work is kinda fun, just as long as nobody gets hurt. Thats probably the hardest part of the job,...dealing when people get hurt, or worse.

In some ways I miss it, but in others I don't. It's not a glorious job. You'll spend more time cleaning gear and running medical calls than anything else. Although it will depend on your dept. and locale and job.

But, while youre there take advantage of some of the awesome training you can get....
- High/Low angle rope rescue
- Rescue diving
- Hazmat certs
- First Responder and EMT
- etc.

Good luck Probie!

thanks jen!
FDog, wow thats alot of experience you have there! i plan on furthering my training most likely next spring session.
our department uses SCOTT scba's with carbon wrapped 30 min bottles at 2216 psi. some kids in the academy had MSA's. i dont beleive anyone uses steel bottles anymore, man those most have been heavy i cant imagine.

heres some pics from training at the academy

DSC_8004.jpg

burn building

DSC_8007.jpg

DSC_8023.jpg

DSC_8024.jpg

DSC_8032.jpg

DSC_8027-1.jpg

DSC_8069.jpg

DSC_8066.jpg

DSC_8021.jpg

DSC_8014-1.jpg

DSC_8020-1.jpg

DSC_8047-1.jpg

feuerdog said:
Thats probably the hardest part of the job,...dealing when people get hurt, or worse.

It's a tie between having kids and partners as patients for me. They both kick things up a notch.

I did standbys for large fires as an EMT and was always shocked at how far the fire fighters would push themselves physically. After a few hours at a big fire, it seemed like everybody was dehydrated with strained back, knee, or shoulder. Most of my treatment consisted of ice packs and water. I felt like the Micheline man when I'd grab some nomex and a helmet at big MVCs. Then I realized why all the firefighters had strains and pains after a few hours.

To the OP, every response I went on, the local fire department was there. I'd see the same guys three or four times a night. Medicals were their bread and butter. Eat up.

Latest posts

Back