Felt Bicycle Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres a few of latest pics of my felt happy hour...put on a little tool bag and just got a brand new rear tire...I ride this bike almost everyday and never get tired of it..generally I like to sell and try something new every few years but this bike will be hard to part with..
20150613_103042_zpsaztnl8yl.jpg
20150613_103028_zpsafzcmtmk.jpg
20150613_103045_zpskqzog7pk.jpg

heres a few of latest pics of my felt happy hour...put on a little tool bag and just got a brand new rear tire...I ride this bike almost everyday and never get tired of it..generally I like to sell and try something new every few years but this bike will be hard to part with..
20150613_103042_zpsaztnl8yl.jpg
20150613_103028_zpsafzcmtmk.jpg
20150613_103045_zpskqzog7pk.jpg
Those fork will pop when you color match to the bike or polish them.

- by Gigmata

I just spent a couple hours going through all 44 pages of this thread... I'm blown away by all of the awesome bikes on here! Not all of the links for the pictures are still working... but what I've seen is great!

I had a New Belgium Felt cruiser a couple years ago... and sold it when I was on a "garage emptying binge"... Kinda wished I had held on to it... but, like anything, nothing I could do but move on.

I found a Hot Wheels Felt Cruiser on Craigslist... about 3.5 hours away from me... but I thought it was cheap enough to justify the drive. This one is aluminum as opposed to the steel frame that my New Belgium version.

How it looked when I brought it home.

It needed a good cleaning... and I didn't really care for the bars being that low... or the front brake being on the right side. I flipped the headset (still too low) and ended up ordering a set of 5" rise beach bars. I went ahead and swapped the brake lever to the opposite side when I swapped the bars... I like this much better.

Most of my other "riders" are all 3 speeds... I'm considering having this one relaced with a Nexus hub... but I wasn't sure... So, I took it for a 16 mile ride with a couple friends to grab some breakfast. I really like it! I added the chrome revolving bell for our ride... I've done enough riding that I know how helpful (and appreciated) a bell can be... I don't like the chrome on here though... I've got a black bell on it's way.

May I suggest a layback seat post? I don't know how tall you are, I'm 6'0 and it makes a ton of difference in leg room. It seems to me you do long rides, it something to consider! On my 1903, I went with 24" Felt wheels... Love the look. I put Project 346 tires, super smooth riding, and added a nexus 3 speed. Rides fantastic!

Here's mine, still needs some finishing touches, however. Started life as a Monster Energy frame. Apes, (RRB member slowriderz) layback seatpost, RRB member (ifitsfreeitsforme) Thompson seat, 26" Electra cruiser wheels w/ Fat Franks & Nexus 3 spd, HBBC suicide shifter, Electra stubby fenders, etc. Will post another photo when final details are done...grips, lights, poss. stripes.

Last edited:
I just spent a couple hours going through all 44 pages of this thread... I'm blown away by all of the awesome bikes on here! Not all of the links for the pictures are still working... but what I've seen is great!

I had a New Belgium Felt cruiser a couple years ago... and sold it when I was on a "garage emptying binge"... Kinda wished I had held on to it... but, like anything, nothing I could do but move on.

I found a Hot Wheels Felt Cruiser on Craigslist... about 3.5 hours away from me... but I thought it was cheap enough to justify the drive. This one is aluminum as opposed to the steel frame that my New Belgium version.

How it looked when I brought it home.

It needed a good cleaning... and I didn't really care for the bars being that low... or the front brake being on the right side. I flipped the headset (still too low) and ended up ordering a set of 5" rise beach bars. I went ahead and swapped the brake lever to the opposite side when I swapped the bars... I like this much better.

Most of my other "riders" are all 3 speeds... I'm considering having this one relaced with a Nexus hub... but I wasn't sure... So, I took it for a 16 mile ride with a couple friends to grab some breakfast. I really like it! I added the chrome revolving bell for our ride... I've done enough riding that I know how helpful (and appreciated) a bell can be... I don't like the chrome on here though... I've got a black bell on it's way.

Glad to see you got that one. I remember seeing it on CL up in Tenn somewhere. I even chatted with the guy about it once. That was a good deal!

Hello, this is your friendly neighborhood bicycle parts hoarder, Gigmata. Right now I am super tired but I will come back and answer as many of these questions as possible. My "She's the Bomber" bike began as a slater . I may have some of what you need and you couldn't be asking at a better time as I am getting rid of nearly everything that isn't a complete bike. I know you can fit 26x3.45 BOA tires on a Felt because I have Felt that ran them. The disc brake adapter came from bicycle designer.com. I will take the questions 1 by 1 later I am in need of rest.

- by Gigmata

Hi Guys,
I went through this thread with a fine tooth comb for years. The creativity, time and money being put in these cruisers is epic. I even finally got a Slater on eBay and was initially very happy with the buy until I got the bike. The guy tried to scam me and eBay gave me back all my money and told me to keep the bike. So, I basically got a free Slater. Step by step I am trying to restore the bike and put my touch on it. However, there is no know-how and parts anywhere to be found but here on ratrodbikes (felt dealers are useless and so are most cruiser shops I talked to). Kudos to all you engineers, tinkerers and garage artists.

I do have a billion questions but I'll start with these few.

1) How do I find black Felt Cruiser Nipples. None of the 10 bike stores around here (Chicago) can even identify the Nipple parameters nor order any. It's a 3mm thick spoke and is 13.35mm long. It takes a blue Park Tool SW3 to loosen. That's all I got.

ANSWER#1:

I checked 5 sets of Felt rims and not a black nipple on one. Try a Google search for "Huskey and spokes" and check out Huskey's site. They probably have what you are looking for. My next project, "Dreamcatcher" will be running 24" rims and I am unlikely to reuse the spokes and nipples because I like to make my builds as flawless as I can.

2) How big of a rim can be fit to the Slater if I wanted to use the FELT BERM MASTER 24" (SINCE 26" isn't available). GIGMATA has done a beautiful job on the THUNDER STAR, which leads me to my next question.

ANSWER#2:
"Thunder Star" is one of my favorites but perhaps not my best. I can confirm as a fact you can run a 26" Felt rim with 26x3.45" tires with no issues whatsoever on your Slater.

3) What kind of disc break holder and gear hub is on the THUNDER STAR? No worries, there won't be any copying of the design. I am thinking about building an 1930's BMW or MZ replica.

ANSWER#3:
I have used the rear disc brake adapter from www.bicycledesigner.com. You may have to grind it down a touch to fit your rear drop outs.

4) I couldn't find the original grips for the Slater either. Any ideas?

ANSWER#4:
I checked my donor bike for "Dreamcatcher" and it has similar grips to a Slater. They may be the same grips with different end caps. I won't be using them. You would have to cut one down to fit your 3 speed shifter side. I will also check my closet to see if I have a new - yes new set of black ones for a 3 speed. If you wanted white, I know I have them new in white.
UPDATE: I have something you might like.

b11d421bf0e9270cf6510eecf081410c.jpg

5) These Felt Tank Frame Cruisers do come in steel as I went to buy one of these Fat Tire Ale ones as a donor but that thing was steel. My Slater says 'Alu' on it but it's very heavy. My Sparker for example feels like half that weight.

ANSWER 5#:
I have read that Felt made some fat tanker bikes out of steel. I have also heard some Slaters and King Pins have top tube center seams. "Thunder Star" was a King Pin and my Slater became the "She's The Bomber" bike. Both are heavy bikes at over 40lbs. The klunker that I am working on now, "Spinsane," is light. I am astonished. Sure, you don't see a seat post or chain but together those won't be another pound and a half.

61458d280a32c448be2e979c8430503f.jpg

6) The Felt's have these black shimano shifter bells that I can't find anywhere. Any ideas?

ANSWER#6:
I will check my parts closet. I probably saved one. I might even have the entire shifter from my Slater or even a new one.

086afb2854faf664228fab0a5412c1ad.jpg

It turns out I have the shifter bells in black and white. I thought so.

7) Does anyone know of checkered black and white brake cables? I have been looking around the world but the swiss guy who had them for sale doesn't sell to Americans.

ANSWER#7:
I had a very similar frustration for my "Yellow Belly" build and ultimate scrapped the idea of fancy cabling after about $100 in false starts. There are options. Cable conduit, wire loom, and cable cover searches on eBay and the web will blow you away with the numbers of available options. You can even go with braided hose covering since you are emulating a motorcycle. Heat shield tubing also will work. "Dreamcatcher" may be running braided hose covering over it's cables. Another forum member suggested Pork Chop BMX for cables and they have what you seek and a great collection of other cabling as well.

The more generic industry issues I have found....

8) I have not found reliable companies that supply cruiser parts. I have had trouble with ChoppersUS, Classic-Cycle.de and Cruiser Shop. I get wrong parts, no parts after payment, endless wait times after payment, phone tag, crazy random pricing, supply issues and so on. I call this the Chinese Industry Disease.

ANSWER#8:
The Chinese already had the printing press when ..... was walking around. They gave us porcelain, pasta, and many other innovations we take for granted today. Many of the things they make today are quite good but unfortunately, vast amounts of it just aren't reflecting China's former wonder making abilities.

9) The brand stores themselves don't supply parts properly either. Same issues than the companies above except this time you get a corporate email response about why the items are incorrectly described (Electra) on their shopping page (ape hangers shown with 25.4 clamp diameter but show up with 22.2 and ONE shim). I also found out that the Brands make an effort to not supply parts. I can buy a whole Felt Cruiser but I can't buy any of the original parts for one. I also call this the Chinese Industry Disease coupled with incompetence and greed.

ANSWER#:9
PM me which parts you are looking for as I rarely using anything Felt except for the frame and seat clamp. I lusted for the chain wheel from a 1909 and then when I bought a 1909 to make a klunker, I didn't like the way it looked. There is a way to get new Felt parts you need. Go to your Felt dealer and have them order a warranty repair part. Use that language and you can have those great parts you seek.

10) I cannot find reliable powder coating or polishing or metal fabricating or painting in the Chicago area either. My powder place (CPC) had 3 bikes since April with no end in sight. My polisher (Metal Finish Pro) actually scratched my aluminum parts and conceding that he doesn't know how to remove the remaining streaks. The painter (Chestercycles) declined right away since he doesn't do anything cruiser or used. The fabricator (Legacy Frameworks) made me create elaborate drawings for a handlebar but stop responding after that. Anyone capable that you can recommend?

ANSWER#:10
Welcome to the ratrodbikes.com forum. The members here are a fountain of creativity. Ask us how we dabbed something and you might be treated to a tutorial for free. There are members who make their own bars and other parts and can get you a deal.

As for powder coating and metal finishing you are surrounded by excellent crafts persons but you might not know if yet. Call car restoration shops and find out who they use for those same services. Check out yelp. I use 2 places here in Los Angeles. One of them makes staircases for boarding aircraft. They also do powder coating. You will have shops like that in your area.

11) Why does no one want to ship me their Tips, Hotwheels, Pursang, Propaganda, Shelby? If I get the time back trying to convince people to ship their bikes to me, I'd be two years younger. No worries I am paying. GIGMATA, do you still have the polished one?

ANSWER#:11

Yep! PM me.

12) Putting stinky two stroke engines into beach cruisers is an abomination and a sacrilege. Just saying.....beach and two stroke stink don't mix. Stink don't mix with anything, that's why nothing is two stroke anymore in the first place. If you can't paddle, I suggest an electric motor. Those are fast, silent and clean. I bet the batteries would fit into the tank.

ANSWER#:13
Electric conversions are very expensive whereas the gas conversions are inexpensive by comparison.

I love the art of beach cruisers but I guess I am in the wrong state. We just happened to be the center of the world bicycle industry not too long ago. It seems everyone on here has found capable help or is capable themselves. I would appreciate any tips to get work done so maybe one day my full suspension, belt driven beach cruiser prototype comes to live.....maybe even with electric drive since I am not getting any younger. lol.

ANSWER#:14
Keep enjoying riding your bikes and you will be youthful for a very long time. There are many lost arts now that our society has become more reliant on other people for doing the things our ancestors did for themselves. "May you ride eternal shiny & chrome."

Cheers,
J

(Posting pics seems like a pain in the b....! I just signed up for photobucket but they won't allow to copy the url. They are blacked out. The ratrod forum has some kind of pop up but the photobucket URL won't post)

http://s977.photobucket.com/user/myfish4/media/048_zpsd3kmbubd.jpg.html#

- by Gigmata

Last edited:
7) Does anyone know of checkered black and white brake cables? I have been looking around the world but the swiss guy who had them for sale doesn't sell to Americans.

Firstly, congrats on you frame. Sounds like things worked out. It was noted recently that one of the big box stores had checked cabling on one of their bikes. Worth following up. I worked at a walmart for a while, and the lawn & garden manager was the bike guy. He was reasonable, and you could buy parts out of the back off returned, scratch & dents... if someone on here could source checked cabling, I'm sure it would be a hot ticket. I work at a lbs, ill look into it today through work.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Thank you so very much for all the work you had answering my questions!!!! I replied to your PM separate!

"Spinsane" bike looking amazing. Sick wheel set!
REPLY#:1
Thank you.

By 'Chinese' syndrome I wasn't questioning the abilities of the Chinese, rather the unfortunate side effect of having long supply lines, port strikes, bad weather and ever increasing shortage of desirable items since everything good sells out fast.

REPLY#:2
Good points.

The felt dealer I have dealt with can't get parts from Felt at all. No headset for the Slater and no nipples. They said the spoke with Felt directly but I will certainly try that trick! Very resourceful!

REPLY#:3
I use sealed bearing headsets which are better than what Felt gave me on my Slater. I think I still have the old stuff. We will work something out for that too.

The powder coating place I chose won't give me my parts back. $5000 in parts and the guy refuses. I even called the cops who told me that he has done this many times before. He has ways to remove negative yelp reviews, which explains how people get into such a mess. Mine was certainly removed within a day. He promised Saturday. Wish me luck. Then again, he promised 'Saturday' for 5 months.

REPLY#:4
I suggest calling the local Chamber of Commerce as well as the Better Business Bureau and have them go after the guy. I would make sure they give you some type of written response. Send that to Yelp. You may be able to get the guys business license revoked or suspended and your stuff returned to you.

I will try to use the resources you mentioned.

Thanks again. Good night cruiser world.
REPLY#:5
You are most welcome.

- by Gigmata

Latest posts

Back