~WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT SHE GETS...TO RIDE~ '49 Mercury crossover.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in. So far here's what I've got;

So I'll build a bike around part of a X-53 springer and a pair of early 20th century brass, um iron? knuckles.
I'm stoked!
Wow! Now that's starting from scratch. Looking forward to the rest of the "knuckle-head".... : D

:39: another stealth build...
20150501_160304.jpg
:grin:

Two totally unrelated but cool items.
That's all you need.
You definitely have my attention.

So, here's some progress;

I've got a 90's Schwinn Cruiser fork which I'll be mating with the X-53 piece, some springs from an old office chair and a whole lot of imagination. In the end this will be my "faux" springer, more like the world's most bomb-diggity head light mount but, whatever.;)

In the end this bike, will be similar to this sculpture I'm working on at present, it's gonna be backlit!!!, the scupture not the bike. basically some newer materials (I've got a Worksman frame on the way, though it may or may not work with the fork), and a lot of improvisation, juxtaposition of junk and fauxing around;)
~ STAY TUNED ~

Last edited:
And just 'cause everyone likes cute kids and dogs... my son, Henry who hopefully will be helping me out this year and our Boston terrier/Chihuahua mix, Chica, in a neighbor's yard covered in blue bonnets, oh yeah...as Texas as summers you wish you lived further north.

Alright, so I have been waiting for my frame to arrive before I started doing...well, anything. Yesterday I arrived home from work to find a package by my front gate, and would you believe, it was my frame.
So now I can disclose a bit more about this build, nothing on this is as it seems...dum dum dum. I'm creating a vintage bike from relatively new parts or actual new parts I will be manufacturing myself, adding a little faux patina, and coming out with a mid-century custom barn find, to the untrained eye.
My frame, one of ind-chuckz Worksman's;

Shown here mocked up wit the fork conglomeration I will be using...'cause it fits!!! I wasn't sure it would, and for the last year I've said I would do something with that yoke? Would that be what one would call that piece?

So here I go.
I started out shaving the chainguard tabs off and decided to do a little mock up with some of the parts that my or may not go on this beast;

I also cut an inch out of the original spring retainer from the office chair I got the spring from, and welded it back together;

That was about all I had time for as my son had been busy on the backside of my shop where I keep scrap metal and odds and ends for my art...building a "drum set", so daddy had to get his guitar and end the evening with a little father/son jam session;

Life as a father is so hard.;)

Nice resonator. Good music in Denton. Riverboat Gamblers! The bike is lookin' good too. I like the placement of the shifter.
Great music in Denton, sadly the last band...er, duo I was in was a few years back, "Little Black Hymnal" just me and my cousin/drummer, garage folk, that was a fun experiment.;)

And yeah that's me with long hair and a late 40's Sears craftsman archtop fitted with an original Gibson PAF humbucker.

I like the direction of your build and the father / son jam session.

Sadly had to work today, that kinda killed all ambition. During the summer I lead a crew that cleans all the upholstered materials in each dorm at U.N.T. Students just moved out Friday and already I had to do 200 plus rooms for a camp that moves in tomorrow. But as Oscar Wilde said, "Art is completely useless."...so the useless part of my life gives way to the usefull. Tomorrow I'll resume work,on the useless, I hope.;)

So all builds come with their little hitches, mine kinda snowballed on me, first off the hub I was planning on using is junk, which doesn't really matter because I failed to look at the specs and see that Worksman frames actually have a relatively narrow rear, so it wouldn't have fit anyways, Shimano 3CC. Next, even though I've been looking to use the X-53 yoke, I'm just not feeling it on this build, I look at it time and time and time again and just don't feel inspired. Last but not least, my wife who just finished college in December is looking into going int the Air Force, as an officer, no less, as such she wants to get in even better shape, so she wants to start riding our local greenbelt trail. All of my bikes are built for commuting, being that I am a 6-12 mile a day bike commuter, so I figured rather than buy something "new" I'd just build this Worksman to fit my trail needs. So there we have it, if I find a new hub, and well, a new frame, fork, yada yada yada, maybe I'll switch bikes, but as of right now I'm building a Worksman bomber, soooo freakin' original, right, might as well be a thread out there for bikes like that...probably is.:confused:
Anyways, I'll keep posting pics, this should be pretty straight forward as I'm still taking an old school, one piece crank, approach, so it'll be cobbled together with mostly stuff I already have. Hey, who knows, I may switch out if it's too straight forward and the right frame and hub come along, after all, " Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" to quote John Lennon, I think that can be applied to bikes.;)

Latest posts

Back