Fat & Sassy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't think of a cutsie name so this one will be generic. I bought the tubing yesterday and there
is no use in letting it go to waste. I started out this morning and bent a couple pieces and decided
on a direction. Still have to get a hole saw for 1 1/2'' tubing to fishmouth the ends with my new notcher.
But its a start.
DSCF0002-133.jpg

Re: Frame Build

Yeah Tin I never really know where these are going to begin with. This one will look
kinda stubby with the downtube being straight. Well that is the look I'm going for.

Thanks I appreciate it. They take me a while to warm up to a build. Hopefully it will turn out
pretty good. Now that I have seen Sensors curved stays, I may have to step it up a notch. :p

I saw that guy do that , but he is way more talented than me. I wouldn't even know where to start
making a 3 speed nexus work on one side.

Ok if you get all your pipe bent and the angles cut. You have to fishmouth the ends where they
fit really good into each other. You can sand them or use a notcher. Haven't gotten my hole saw
yet. Anyway all my tubing is 1 1/2'' so when its ready you lay them on a flat surface...tack each tube,
flip it over and tack the other side. At this point there is no need for a jig. It will be straight.
Did I say I really like my workbench? :D
DSCF0001-156.jpg

Been waiting for this one "Uncle Stretch"! Wanting to see what you do when you apply your talent to a complete scratch build...

Loving it so far, has a nice fat look to it. And yes, I do believe you did mention something about a workbench somewhere... :wink:

Luke.

Sorry Luke , I'm happy with the way my work bench turned out. This is just something for fun
and to kill the boredom. My complete scratch builds are all over here.
Anyway its just tacked but you can kinda see where its going. The fork needs to be shorter
and maybe a bigger tire on the back. It should sit pretty good when its finally leveled out.
DSCF0002-135.jpg

Shorter fork. The 3'' wide back rim with a 26x2.125 on it is pretty short. Will need something bigger
when its actually done.
DSCF0002-136.jpg

there are several freeware programs on the net where you can enter both angles, tube diameter and thickness and print out the fishmouth profile. I have used it a few times for some akward angles and tube sizes building car chassis. You may want to check it out.

Ichoptop said:
there are several freeware programs on the net where you can enter both angles, tube diameter and thickness and print out the fishmouth profile. I have used it a few times for some akward angles and tube sizes building car chassis. You may want to check it out.
Well I could have used that today!!! :shock: :shock: Lookin super cool as usual US 8) 8)

Yeah Ichop I just cut the tubing the angle I wanted and then lined up the notcher on that angle and slid
the tubing halfway in and cut it. Worked pretty good. I messed up on one and instead of building another
tube I just filled it in. Not a biggie.
Thanks Bigdaddy it might look pretty good....eventually.

Yeah Kram this one is kinda crazy and just something to do. I slammed this one more than most, and
its not so low.

Looks really good and can't wait to see your curvy stays(BUT again, don't blame me!) or uncurvy stays.
Oh, I think I saw you mention something about liking your new bench somewhere.....possibly. :p

Uncle Stretch said:
I saw that guy do that , but he is way more talented than me. I wouldn't even know where to start

Ok if you get all your pipe bent and the angles cut. You have to fishmouth the ends where they
fit really good into each other. You can sand them or use a notcher. Haven't gotten my hole saw
yet. Anyway all my tubing is 1 1/2'' so when its ready you lay them on a flat surface...tack each tube,
flip it over and tack the other side. At this point there is no need for a jig. It will be straight.
Did I say I really like my workbench?

I don't have any kind of notcher. I cut the tubing to the desired angle, then just use a grinder to grind the two sides into a rough "U" shape. It doesn't have to be perfect, as I can weld a pretty big gap.

Sensor you raise the bar on your builds.....just trying to keep up with the Jones.

Deven I normally do them like that , but it really creates a bunch of grinding dust. These chepo notchers
work really good and produce very little dust. The fit a bunch better. You would be surprised at how
you welds look lots better when the fit is right on with no gaps.

deven_science said:
Uncle Stretch said:

Did I say I really like my workbench?

I don't have any kind of notcher. I cut the tubing to the desired angle, then just use a grinder to grind the two sides into a rough "U" shape. It doesn't have to be perfect, as I can weld a pretty big gap.

+1

Latest posts

Back