Faded paint question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hiawatha from a fellow member and love it...my question is the paint used to be red..now it is a dull orange. Is there a process that can make it look better.....want to keep it original.

Reds have (in my experience) always been prone to fading; mostly sun I think, and Ive never seen anything that can bring it back; its just gone....... :(
But you could change your thinking about it. It is still original; orange is OK, I can get another one in rougher shape and repaint (restore or customize) that one; etc. :D

Depending on how faded you can bring it back..i used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to restore the faded red paint on my firebird. worked pretty good but you need to use some elbow grees to work it in good and maybe 2-3 coats..
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-U ... B001O7PNNM

On a bike it might do ya OK, it is (IIRC) a very fine rubbing (if not actually a polishing) compound. The problem Ive seen way more than once around here on cars (ie; larger surfaces) is that you just cant be sure how much paint oxidation you have gone through, or even know how thick it was to begin with. The result, if not right away, is that eventually you start to see the thin spots where you went through too much colorcoat.
SO...beware, its a snakepit out there!

Latest posts

Back