Fabulous Fifties Fixie?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fell in love with a head badge two weeks ago and now I'm the proud owner of an early '50s Indian Scout frame. The same company that built those classic American motorcycles, which I can't afford. Found it on Craigslist listed for $100. Eventually got it for $75. I never understood the current fixie fad, but I must admit, they do look cool. And you can ride them backwards, like the clowns in the circus. So the plan is to build this vintage middleweight into something modern, but with a vintage twist. I'm strictly a bolt-on guy, so a simple fixie should be easy enough. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Wish me luck.
indian_zps1079eee5.jpg

Welcome to the Build Off :)

Beautiful frame to start with. Can't wait to see what ya do with it :thumbsup:

do it!

I built a 700c WWII era Schwinn-built BFGoodrich, but it has a coaster brake. I'm not cool enough to make it a fixed gear.

This should be interesting,I have always liked those lug frames.
The Indian Scout was actually a high quality British made bike and very light weight for its time ..should make a great fixie if your into that style of bike !
Mark

Got ahead of myself. Should have painted it before putting on the crankset.
IMG_4222_zps93795a57.jpg

Dug up some parts
IMG_4215_zps4412d541.jpg

IMG_4214_zps15b23036.jpg

Is it my imagination, or do the cutouts on my Indian's lugs look like tomahawk heads?
IMG_4217_zpsefc4ecce.jpg

IMG_4216_zps096c7aa3.jpg

A little oil cap(?) for the bottom bearing?
IMG_4213_zpsff51836c.jpg

And look at these cool bosses to hold an air pump. Found a pump on the internet and it arrives today.
IMG_4211_zps099279ec.jpg

I'll start sanding the frame today.

Great details and plan. Can you post a closeup of that cool headbadge?
Welcome to the build off!

By the way, don't forget to put your pin on the BONINE WORLD MAP
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=984254

The world's finest motorcycle made darn good bicycles too. I'm still waiting for an Indian to make its way into my stable, definitely going to watch this thread!!!

Rattle canned it with Ace Banner Red and a matte clearcoat. No too far off from the original color.
IMG_4238_zps8a2e1710.jpg

Now I have to wait for a riveted seat, grips, and Indian decals I ordered. ...., I hate to have to buy new!

Latest posts

Back