Evel Knievel 1970's MX Tribute Bike Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switching gears here. I realized that if I use the Huffy it's just going to look like a Thunder Star. So I went back to the shed today after work and pulled this stuff out. I'm gonna build my bike using a Murray MX frame and parts.
409412184.jpg

409412186.jpg

409412187.jpg

I love MX bikes got one my self, it was my build off 8 bike and I think it's time to redo it this summer :D
IMG_2674_zpsabfc23f9.jpg

1977 Free Spirit

I love MX bikes got one my self, it was my build off 8 bike and I think it's time to redo it this summer :D

Very cool bike. The color really pops. Love the camo tires too! I've never seen those before. Here's an all original Free Spirit MX that I used to own. The frame is very similar to the one I'm using for my build.
402879006.jpg

What a great looking little bike these are. That's what I love about using this site, seeing so many interesting bikes. Makes me realise how pedestrian the majority of UK bikes were/are. Should be an awesome build! Love a bit of retro!! :cool2:

Finally got around to working on the bike again. This is a simple build but the deadline is coming up real quick. Anyway, I stripped the frame and fork and primed them both. I just have to do the same to the seat struts and handlebars. Hopefully I will get everything painted next weekend. Then it's just a matter of cleaning and polishing all the parts and reassemble. I found two other chainguards besides the pie plate one that came with the frame. I just need to decide which one to use. I also dug up some NOS parts: fenders, seat, grips and pedals.

409750128.jpg
409750131.jpg
409750130.jpg
409750129.jpg

Welcome back!

love this build

I got some more work done today. I primered my plastic parts so now everything is ready for paint which I hope to do this weekend.
409796768.jpg

After I primed these parts I realized that I forgot to strip and prime the black handlebars. It was getting late and I didn't feel like messing with the bars so I went back to my parts stash and dug out this stuff. I think I'm gonna go with the chrome bars and white grips instead of the usual black MX bars and grips. I'm not sure if I'm going to use the number plate or not.
409796769.jpg

I'm still working on this bike. I should have it done on time. I decided to use the sprocket and chainguard that came with the frame.
409841932.jpg

The tank and fender are painted, cleared and buffed. I also stripped and painted the sprocket.
409841934.jpg

I also painted all of the bike parts white. I still need to clear and buff them before assembly. The chrome pieces were soaked in Evaporust and polished.
409841935.jpg

I still have to finish the guard and side plate.
409841933.jpg

Latest posts

Back