Estate sale with a huge barn finds!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday my friend and I went to a huge estate sale that had an enormous 3 story high barn. Chock full of rusty and crusty goodness. It was a barn that we had discovered last fall when we were out "freestylin " Frank and Mikey style :wink: . Last fall we saw this farm house and barn had a long roll off dumpster in the dirt driveway so we spring into action.... gave the guy our number and to call us because we could see up on the top loft ( three stories up ) was full of bikes. I could see a green schwinn nanner from ground level..... so we kept the property on our " gotta follow up " list..... we went back throughout the late fall and through the early winter but never gave up hope.....

Fast forward to spring...... I find an estate sale ad on Craigslist this past wednesday and recognized some of the described things ( i.e. 1947 dodge with suicide doors , tractors and attachments , 60's dumptruck...bikes, etc..... ) So we knew the property and what was involved so we went to check it out..... ( we were hoping to get a chance to buy last fall but he wasnt ready to sell then cuz he was still pulling stuff outta the barn { eeek!! dumpster in the driveway}

The nanners were sold the day before we got there to the estate sale( oh well , cant win em all :lol: )
We went right to the bike pile they had thrown behind the barn. At first glance it looked like a "heap" to the average bear ( but as we all know if you look hard enough you can find gold )
For the ones there that dont "get it " there is a Walmart right down the road ( not you fat tire guys , I mean people in general that dont appreciate old stuff :lol: )
Once we got to the pile it was divin in like 2 honeybadgers :mrgreen: . We started a keeper pile and it kept growing and growing :shock: .
We bought 4 bikes and a whole bunch of parts ( saddles , bars , early rims and some tires , found a pair of stamped s-2 in white with blue pinstripes :mrgreen: ) There are some killer accessories attached to the Schwinn I unburried and bought

The funniest part of it all is we brought all of our scores home in and on a 1964 VW BAJA :lol:
( if he would have sold us stuff last fall it would have been easier cuz we were in my buddies 1969 VW BUS. much more room 8) )

here are some preliminary pics

003_zpsfb586dcf.jpg

009_zps1a95f20c.jpg

006_zps34a8a2da.jpg

016_zps5d2e2794.jpg

019_zps24d7e42d.jpg

017_zpsa93e7903.jpg

014_zpsd2e2550b.jpg

.......more pics to follow ( photobucket takes forever......... )

Re: Estate sale with a huge barn finds! MORE PICS ADDED

heres a few more pics of the goodies we brought home :D
SKIPTON...sorry for the bad shot of the schwinn ill take some better detail ones of the accessories for ya 8)
013_zps42610709.jpg

010_zps02bf0258.jpg

011_zps886183d9.jpg

012_zps8f365ba2.jpg

heres a shot so you can see the rims and parts jammed in the back too :mrgreen:

005_zps1627c62b.jpg

Skipton said:
WOW!
Looks like you guys had fun!
Great scores, Great car!

The Schwinn with the horn and light is a COOL BIKE !
Can we see more pics of it?!

according to http://schwinncruisers.com/ the serial # J7A670 it is a Chicago built 1953 Schwinn World Traveller :mrgreen:

real cool bike... I love the slender shoulder on the forks in addition to the real cool accessories...

005_zps25d861ee.jpg

001_zpsdfc032c2.jpg

003_zps5e461470.jpg

007_zps9d88c2bb.jpg

009_zps76121bef.jpg

011_zpsf8cd9b63.jpg

013_zps4d2bfacd.jpg

015_zps7c268ef3.jpg

019_zps157785eb.jpg

017_zpse647aa91.jpg

Looks like, from the bent fenders and damage, they just tossed em out from the third floor :(

GLAD you got some :), sad that people are still like that, would rather ruin things than let you get em 6 months ago, and save them the trouble, too...
Rude to sell the nanners out from under you,too, since you left a number MUCH earlier.

Nice finds nonetheless, just had to vent a lil. ( been there, ppl won;t sell to me, then ask em a while later and they set em out at the curb or took for scrap... :(

Thanks for the great pics!
1953 Schwinn World Traveler sure would have been a BIG BUCKS $$$ bike back in the day!

So many cool things on that one. Even the Schwinn decals are cool!

The bars and all the accessories are with the trip alone :mrgreen:

No real specific plans. Basically I just wanted to save them from being scrapped ( because whatever wasnt sold by sunday will end up being junked )
I thought they were way too cool to let them go to waste. I couldnt believe my eyes when I dug down deep into the pile ( this was at the very bottom of the pile ) to see all the accessories were spared. especially because the huge drill press in the pile pic near the top of this thread was thrown on the tippy top ( when I said honey badger we really had to dig :lol: )

I will take some more detail shots of this red skip tooth too. It has rad drop outs ( the slack adjuster pre-war type, serial # on bottom bracket, and a beautiful stem ). I really dont know too much about it other than it was doomed if I didnt save her :wink:

010_zps02bf0258.jpg

012_zps8f365ba2.jpg

Junk, I track down estate sales here in ct in hopes of finding a decent bike,
but that was an outstanding find,way to keep alert. Yea ya gotta save that stuff.
Nice work. Oh tell your VW buddy I just missed a Laser 917 in RI......Stevil

Now, that’s an outstanding treasure find!!!

You guys are some lucky!!!

Here are some detail pics of the red skip tooth.
I zip tied the fender braces and gave it a quick bath .The seat is a LOBDELL EMERY MFG. ALMA,MICH USA . I really liked the shape of the neck too. Cant go wrong with a skip tooth either ( Im still in amazement this was in the bottom of the pile. how can you throw this away? )

I've Googled my brains out .... Based on the rear drop outs ( with the chain tensioners and the tabs for a drop stand stops) .It seems to match the pre-war Colsons. The serial # is D89156. Please feel free to correct me if im wrong :D

025_zpsbc3447db.jpg

023_zps51b17d8a.jpg

001_zps654762c7.jpg

009_zpsb8187d13.jpg

006_zpse9855836.jpg

004_zps68eced2c.jpg

015_zpsc3ac46a7.jpg

013_zps6502135f.jpg

012_zps7bea14d1.jpg

027_zpsebb8286d.jpg

021_zps50df0ee0.jpg

019_zps262e29f2.jpg