Escaped Convict (Done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin real good Aaron. That barb wire looks sharp (no pun intended), and that light just does wonders for the overall look. Better hope you don't crash that thing and then have it land on you. Been there done that, minus the barb wire of course.

Yes! Thank god it has an incredibly low standover height too! Tetanus of the nether region would really be uncool. I guess my spandex racerboy shorts are off limits for this ride. :shock:

Thanks for the compliments, I still am undecided on the fenders. I have some rusty Stingray fenders that might work better. The bike is a confused mismatch of style as it sits... to me anyway. Building the bike is fairly straightforward. It's designing it that's hard. Things look different on the bike than they did in your head or during mock up.

As to that picture, it's an inexpensive mass produced oil. My whole family consists of Mariners of some sort or the other. What I liked about that picture was the sails, the waves, the flags, and the birds were all being exposed to different winds. It defied physics. :shock:

Aaron

I got my new seat today but I am going to save it and the new sissy bar for a new project. I was cleaning up and I got looking at some old innertubes. Struck with a epiphamy I got the scissors and cut off the stem then cut it lengthwise. I then cut that up into strips of varying sizes depending on need. I tacked the rubber to the seat frame with super glue to hold it long enough to get it all woven together. Then I put the two seat halves together again. I think it looks kinda cool.

Seat.jpg

My wife bought me this rat to put on the bike. Might make him a cage under the seat.

Rat.jpg

And as mentioned I am playing with the rusty Krate style fenders. I think I like them.

KF.jpg

I am going to change the sprocket again to one I found that reminds me of a rusty manhole cover.

make the rat ride on the front fender !!! other than gettin hot in the sun seat looks sweet, is it noisy at all ? nice goin either way. :wink:

ACD said:
As to that picture, it's an inexpensive mass produced oil. My whole family consists of Mariners of some sort or the other. What I liked about that picture was the sails, the waves, the flags, and the birds were all being exposed to different winds. It defied physics. :shock:

Aaron

I'm a fan of tacky nautical paintings. I didn't even notice the different winds, that makes it even better.

The different sprocket and no fenders. I'm really running into some frustrating problems here as this bike was not meant for tires this size. Also this sprocket does not carry the chain I have well. Not sure if the chain or the sprocket is at fault. I am going to look into making some "crude" looking fenders from some old license plates instead. That would be in keeping with the prison theme and allow me to mount them in such a way as to not interfere with what little space I have for the tires. You guys all make this look easy. It's not! (See Signature) I even tried to ride it tonight with less than favorable results. The rear wheel immediately pulled out of alignment and started to rub. About ready to put it on Death Row.

IMG_0017.jpg

It's looking Great!!! In the picture, the sissy bar looks mounted to the rear axel. Try mounting it to the hole in the frame and that might help your wheel alignment problem? Great going !!!! Thanks

if moving the sissy bar doesnt help with alignment, maybe you could use some of those things that usually go on the front axle to keep the wheel
from coming off when ya wheelie...dont know what theyre called, theyre like washers with curved tails :roll: . might have to drill some holes though...

The seat doesn't make any noise unless it was baked bean night. I'll try moving the sissy mount but when mounted aft of the axle it restricts the drop out adjustment. Gonna take a break from it for a couple days. Working day and night all week.

Aaron, I used the same frame on Rodentia. The 26x2.125 white walls that I used are a real tight fit! About a 1/4" on either side but it rides true and I've never had it come lose. Check you sprockets you may have a bent tooth or two. I had a bad sprocket once and ity gave me all kinds of fits! Is the chain binding and pulling the wheel to the side?

Nogoodnic has also used this type frame with a motor, so maybe he can enlighten us! :wink:

Good luck,
Chainy

That barbed wire scares me! :shock: Better bope you never wreck!

Got the fenders started again... version 3.0 cut down license plates. Front I like, rear needs to be filled in front of rear wheel and re-arched. Still need to get new chain and move the seat.

Also added D. P. W. (Dept. Public Works) to the sprocket and more barbed wire to the frame. May eventually line all the frame with Barbed Wire. The Rat is riding on the fender as suggested for now.

IMG_0018.jpg

BW.jpg

Manhole.jpg

Back