Escaped Convict (Done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tonight I am kinda depressed and frustrated. I took the whole bike apart again. I painted the forks in the stripe pattern of the frame. I am going to true the wheels. I played with fenders some more and getting them to fit right is a disaster. I painted the front one in a faux granite block pattern. Looks OK but the tape pulled off some of the paint and when I touched it up I had to go over all the grout lines and now I'm not sure I like it anymore. I am painting the sprocket too. My seat has been shipped so that should be here by the end of the week. Just having trouble getting it all to mesh together right. This too shall pass I guess.

Brett I originally wanted them and I'm still on the fence. The rear one I had to cut to fit so it is not ready yet. I reasembled the headset and bottom bracket all clean and freshly greased. Hopefully for the last time. The painted sprocket is on, the red is purposefully darker than the wheels. Still truing the wheels. I mounted the front fender so you could get the idea of what I wanted with the granite block "effect". Martha Stewart I'm not... :D

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0002-4.jpg

IMG_0004-3.jpg

Aaron, I like the sprocket . When you get it completed you need to find an old/new prison to take a couple of pic in front of.

My wife worked for the State prison for 5 years and I clean the rugs in the prison offices on occasion... I'm in like Flint. Now if i am really really lucky they would let me take a picture of it behind bars in a cell. That won't happen due to legal issues.

lookin good need to get some handcuffs for a bike lock :wink:

no wait
shackles/leg irons yeah thats it

I keep picturing the three escaping convicts from "O, Brother Where Art Thou?" This thing looks awesome!

Remember the code! I searched for 10 years for this and traded the deed tp my house for it. It'a Tyler made in Poland this is exactly how it came no wheels, no crank arms. Amazingly whole but not in very nice shape. I took some parts off it to try on the Escaped Convict.

Tyler.jpg

This is the nana seat off the Tyler minus the sexxy Floral print vinyl. Very crusty seat. It's so bad it looks fake in the pic!!

New.jpg

Maine has orange jump suits for prisoners now.. sad I liked the black and white stripes. I was way ahead of you on the barbed wire. :D

Ok I got the rear fender cut down, primed, painted, masked, faux granited, and then mounted. Let me tell you things are tight on the back end of this bike. I have never before had such a juggling match getting everything to line up and assembled in the right order. First some pics of the fender process...

Base coat black with the "grout lines" taped. This might me a cool idea for a future bike. I like the blue and black.

Mask.jpg

Then I sprayed gray over it thinly so some black shows through and then really thinly and letting the can "spit" I misted some flat white.

Paint.jpg

Then peel the tape and voila!

Peel.jpg

Put the bike back together again. I got the headlight working it is on in the pic!! I wrapped the bars, parts of the frame, the sissy bar, and more in barbed wire. I can still ride it relatively safely but you can be sure I will wear pants. Nasty old rusty barbed wire! (This is really stupid and over the top but hey I'm not taking this thing on the Tour de' France).

IMG_0006.jpg

I am working on a chain guard from an old JC Higgens. It will match the fenders and have Prison lettering on it. I have a few more minor ideas and am waiting on my seat. I will keep this rusty sissy bar though. I really like the look. I decide early not to care about scratches, scrapes, bumps, and dings as it adds it's own "Ratness" to the build.

Thanks Guys! Brett I'm sorry, I have no control over what the bike tells me to do. Or perhaps it's the voices in my head... I get them confused.

Finished the chain guard!!

The bike and one of my 5 cats (Gus)
Gus.jpg

The Barb wire around the seat
Barb.jpg

Along the frame

Wire.jpg

Bars.jpg

The barbed wire on the handlebars.
Handle.jpg

I screwed up and the chainguard does not fit well. Too far forward and too far out. It just clears the crank arms but needs to be fixed. (Bummer) Also the chain is so tight to get the wheel to point it will clear the frame properly it binds. (Bummer again!!) New longer chain in order, re-do Chain guard mount, lettering, kickstand, and who knows what else. It's getting heavy!

Back