Escaped Convict (Done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the "gentle bend" quite a bit. It give the bike some attitude, and it's original.

Thanks for the compliment. I swapped out the crank again with the one on the boardtraker. My intention is to paint the star red or white. I found a perfect functioning extremely rusty chain. Rusty chain is a must... :? I had to shorten said chain as it came off a 26" 3-spd and was too long. I broke the link by filing the head off with a Leatherman file. Now that's hardcore. Didn't want to wait till morning to bug my neighbor for his bench grinder. Gotta true the rear wheel. I got it so it doesn't hit but it's SO close. It is now officially a bicycle again and is rideable. Not by me though until I get the long seat.

Aaron

Here is the sprocket, crank, bigger and older pedals, and rusty chain.

IMG_2.jpg

Aaron

So I had a brainstorm... I don't have need of a shifter but really wanted to incorporate the ball and chain idea. I found a 2" round metal ball that came from the local cement plant. It is used in one of the mills to grind cement into a fine powder. I got a foot of 1/4" chain and an old kickstand. I don't have a welder but a friend does so I took the works to him and he will zap it together late next week for me. So I'll have a ball and chain welded link kickstand. While there I found a beautiful scrap of stainless decking... like a really heavy duty screen with diamond shaped holes. Thus my tank insert is solved. Will shape and mount that this weekend. Now to solve the headlight and seat issue. Also want to paint the bars I think. Perhaps red to balance the wheels.

I finished the stainless tank insert. Cutting stainless with hacksaw is no fun at all. Went through 2 blades and several fingers... :D It ads a fence/confinement aspect to the bike.

Tank.jpg

Tankwhole.jpg

Took this flashlight off the top of the refrigerator. Man it lays on those truss rods really nice. I really want a metal one but this might do if I strike out.
Flash.jpg

Front.jpg

Keep on keeping on!

Casting Crowns said:
That screen insert adds some sweet character. Would look cool with a pair of hand cuffs. You could use them as a bike lock. Just thinking out loud. 8)

That is a good idea!

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to include handcuffs. Had lot's of idea's but none that stuck. Then there's Billy Clubs, Shanks, and on and on. It's supposed to be an "Escaped" convict not a Prison bike per se' but it is kind of just meandering down it's own road. It's already way overboard for "my" ususal tastes. I really like clean and simple (basic black). Besides the Board Tracker (which I didn't finish and canibilized for this bike) this is my first actual build. All your feedback is welcome and appreciated. This bike is simply fun for me and a good learning experience. Thanks for tolerating me. :D

Aaron

Ok I found my headlight! Yard Sale $4 I love this ratty old flashlight. Excellent patina on it. Also got a pair of old handcuffs that I draped over the stem and I found a wicked nice bell with a cross or plus symbol on it. Very old, very loud. My pic of the bell is bad let me take another...

IMG_0001-3.jpg

IMG_0003-3.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

You ccould stencil that on the tank kinda like the "8 bike". That lamp looks great as well as the tank.

Yeah I intend to do some M.D.O.C. marking somewhere. Here's my neat bell I found at an antique store today....

Bell.jpg

Latest posts

Back