ENIGMA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez.. can't you ever just be like... mediocre? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^I thought "Roland" from last year (April RRB calendar bike) did a great job of that.

One of things I'm trying to figure out is how to transform the stance of the Zep? When you look at the transformation of a factory built car into a rat rod...the common denominator (outside of the patina and rust) usually is its low and stretched stance.

Without modifying the frame, your best option is probably using 24" wheels with fat tires instead of 26? Obviously, make sure you have enough clearance for your cranks..

One of things I'm trying to figure out is how to transform the stance of the Zep? When you look at the transformation of a factory built car into a rat rod...the common denominator (outside of the patina and rust) usually is its low and stretched stance.

Are you allowed a modified fork? or bolt on relocation? or a bolt-on relocation, extension, drop, of rear dropout?

The transformation of stance of the stock car involves lowering, chopping, and channeling in addition to the stretch. Some of those things can't be done on a bike frame (channeling, for example), but others can be. The fork is a good start if you're keeping the frame stock. You could also push the rear out and up with bolt on plates, that would help lower as well as stretch and would complement the fork.

I just mocked up my build using Kota's fork...unfortunately it doesn't work with the overall look of the bike. Although I love the bend of the fork, it just needs to be on a frame that complements its curve. This Zep frame has straight bar features. thus I'll need a fork that's more in line with the frame?

I'm really liking the "Godspeed". It will be interesting to see what you create this time.

Perhaps this will do until tomorrow...I’m using a 1936 HD Snyder “Zep” frame, which has a great stance and bold features…It's been used hundreds of times before for rat builds...I think it's a perfect candidate with endless options and possibilities to work with.

Wow! :D Can't wait...

What if you used the Kota fork, but extended the steertube on it? Sounds counterproductive, but you never know.

I think this 1938 ad has both your frame and mine in it.

tn.jpg

I just mocked up my build using Kota's fork...unfortunately it doesn't work with the overall look of the bike. Although I love the bend of the fork, it just needs to be on a frame that complements its curve. This Zep frame has straight bar features. thus I'll need a fork that's more in line with the frame?

Of these 3 mock up pictures, the first one with the straight bar, lowered stance is by far the coolest and meanest looking one IMO. Don't want to use short crank arms?

I was up most of the night thinking about what to do with the bike's stance? I waited for the sun to come up this morning and took another look at the mockup. I have conceded to this direction. Now I just need to figure out how to attach the rear wheel to the frame?:)

Latest posts

Back