BO15 Emsbroek & Poesse Ratracer (pg6 ride video!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halflink chain on that would be very cool

You can knock some of the gloss off the paint with fine steel wool (like 0000).

Love this bike BTW, I can see putting many miles on it.

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip! I will search for it, buy it and use it.

That is some seriously relaxed frame geometry. Looking good!
Thanks Couch!
Halflink chain on that would be very cool
Mr Kingfish sir, I just got a package:

twG9Ker.jpg

Stickers with a free chain and pedals :rockout:

116 links black half-link chain. Quite hard to find, because most BMX chains are around 100 links... which was too short for me. The second chain is for my crossframe bike (build topic in my signature).

Can't wait to put this thing on the bike and take it for a ride!
These pedals will get some wood like the post from @OddJob a while ago.

From then on its only detailwork! Plugs, patches and maybe a little dirty saddle bag.

Update

It has been extremely busy the past few weeks. Busy with work, setting up a new business. I even had some time off to go on holiday with the family and work on my klunker bike.
For the klunker bike fat tire update, see the: builds --> Bart eternal builds thread.

For the class 1 buildoff bike, the Ratracer, I mostly gathered parts and fabricated some pedals.

I did a test drive with the EMPO ratracer and found out that the cotterpin hole of the left side crank was in a bad shape. So the crank wobbles a lot when cycling... a oversized pin did not do the trick, so I decided to weld the crankarms to the bottom bracket shaft.

Pictures of the work done:

d2E0a67.jpg

rPf7oaf.jpg

ray0IAm.jpg

s0hKPqW.jpg

kAxUnsc.jpg

0182HsD.jpg

Looks good with the tires, but it is the wrong darkness for me!

wb0uAGI.jpg

CP3ecPF.jpg

Picture above and below: Lasering the wood was too expensive, so I decided to use a "outdoor permanent marker" instead :crazy:

As7Tfa5.jpg

eU2RO5A.jpg

First layer of woodstain on there.... still too light of tone!

snvx3BE.jpg

Finished and aged wood!

I stained the wood with dark brown "oak" stain, and then used a black spray can to capture the aged looks. I am quite happy with the result! And it was cheap!

qMcW1DT.jpg

jUtLiFx.jpg

RxNGy4d.jpg

Some photos after a testdrive. The pedals hold up pretty good! I can lean on one pedal with my full weight, without damage to the wood.

IQePd0T.jpg

6DY2uNe.jpg

The bike is almost done, some finishing touches left

Last edited:
BRE, I can't see the last 4 photos below your last comment. Just four "X" that won't blow up when I click on them?

BRE, I can't see the last 4 photos below your last comment. Just four "X" that won't blow up when I click on them?
Thanks OJ, I hope I fixed the issue now :)

Thanks OJ, I hope I fixed the issue now :)

Oh, you fixed it all right; in more ways than one! :grin: Awesome job on the pedals! That is a good idea to add a spray or two of the black on the dark stain to show wear and age. I'm going to remember that one.

Your last photo is cool. Shows the bike off well, and the corn field in the back ground says, "Mid-summer". Those could be photos from my area of the globe; large deciduous trees and corn fields. We must have about the same climate / geology.

I WOOD be very happy with the way those pedals came out too. Cool idea on the lettering and the darkening/aging. Beautiful!!!

Oh, you fixed it all right; in more ways than one! :grin: Awesome job on the pedals! That is a good idea to add a spray or two of the black on the dark stain to show wear and age. I'm going to remember that one.

Your last photo is cool. Shows the bike off well, and the corn field in the back ground says, "Mid-summer". Those could be photos from my area of the globe; large deciduous trees and corn fields. We must have about the same climate / geology.
Little sidenote: I spray painted the pedals and wiped it all over the place with a cloth.
Currently the weather over here is very stuffy/damp. Not really that hot, but very sweaty.
Thanks for the kind words there!

That is a stunning bike! I'm sure it rides nicely, as well.
It is quicker than I thought. I was overtaking electric bikes with ease. And very relaxing ride, especially with the springy saddle.

I WOOD be very happy with the way those pedals came out too. Cool idea on the lettering and the darkening/aging. Beautiful!!!
Thank you! I love it when thing aren't too neat. Just like with old music, you can hear the rough recordings of that time... love that! :happy:

No updates on the bike at this point unfortunately. I hope to finish the trailer before September aswell...
Currently I am fixing stuff and being busy with work. Hope to plan the ride with the EMPO soon.

Next week I will be picking up my work on the EMPO again.
Still have some really neat stuff to finish.
Currently I am cutting and sowing a little saddlebag from an old 80's army bag. The smell of that thing!

I am not certain if I can finish my class 2 build, because it is just so busy now.
For the ones interested: As part of my job, I am designing and building a "plowing carriage" for a farmer nearby who works with horses. I am hoping to give it a bit of a ratrod paintjob :grin:

There is something I would like to share with you:
I went picking up a retro BMX bike for wheels and parts to use. This guy who sold it was working in a company who works with wood. Underneath the woodchips I saw a "Electra Ratrod", which looks like this:
1200x755.jpg

It was in very bad shape, but I bought it for five bucks. The seatpost was so rusted stuck in the frame, after many methods of removal, I decided to: measure, cut and hammer it down inside the frame (the frame is stiffer now :rofl: ). I have plenty of room to adjust a new seatpost.
After painting, oiling the inside and assembling all parts it looked like it does now. It cost me about 100 bucks in total. New tires, bearings etcetera, not bad!

So why have I decided to put this project before my buildoffs you wonder? Well, this is a very long frame, which means I can cycle with my daughter behind the bars, without my knees hitting the kids seat like previous bikes.

Check it out:
EefsRDY.jpg

vAhGgtr.jpg

Specs:
  • Extra heavy steel cargo bike wheels (26inch).
  • 26x2.35 creme Schwalbe Fat Franks.
  • Shimano CB-E110 hub with extra seals (inner tubes).
  • Union steel front hub.
  • Lepper Primus seat (I love the huge springs).
  • 66cm (26inch) long frame: seat to headset.
  • All new bearings.

Again: thanks for taking a look. I hope to have more build off material soon!

Last edited:
Next week I will be picking up my work on the EMPO again.
Still have some really neat stuff to finish.
Currently I am cutting and sowing a little saddlebag from an old 80's army bag. The smell of that thing!

I am not certain if I can finish my class 2 build, because it is just so busy now.
For the ones interested: As part of my job, I am designing and building a "plowing carriage" for a farmer nearby who works with horses. I am hoping to give it a bit of a ratrod paintjob :grin:

There is something I would like to share with you:
I went picking up a retro BMX bike for wheels and parts to use. This guy who sold it was working in a company who works with wood. Underneath the woodchips I saw a "Electra Ratrod", which looks like this:
1200x755.jpg

It was in very bad shape, but I bought it for five bucks. The seatpost was so rusted stuck in the frame, after many methods of removal, I decided to: measure, cut and hammer it down inside the frame (the frame is stiffer now :rofl: ). I have plenty of room to adjust a new seatpost.
After painting, oiling the inside and assembling all parts it looked like it does now. It cost me about 100 bucks in total. New tires, bearings etcetera, not bad!

So why have I decided to put this project before my buildoffs you wonder? Well, this is a very long frame, which means I can cycle with my daughter behind the bars, without my knees hitting the kids seat like previous bikes.

Check it out:
EefsRDY.jpg

vAhGgtr.jpg

Specs:
  • Extra heavy steel cargo bike wheels (26inch).
  • 26x2.35 creme Schwalbe Fat Franks.
  • Shimano CB-E110 hub with extra seals (inner tubes).
  • Union steel front hub.
  • Lepper Primus seat (I love the huge springs).
  • 66cm (26inch) long frame: seat to headset.
  • All new bearings.

Again: thanks for taking a look. I hope to have more build off material soon!
That's a really nice $105 bike. I like those Electra frames. She probably loves sitting up there.

I can cycle with my daughter
Spend as much time with the little one's as you can , because thay don't stay little very long . Memories is what life is all about . I'll never forget the times I toted my son behind my bike , we went from one hotel pool deck to another up and down Daytona Beach . He still talks about it 30 years later .

Last edited:
That's not called a diversion, that's called dedication. You dedicated your efforts to the development of more time spent with your child, and doing something fun that will increase your bond with her. Like Sandman said ^, they do grow up fast. Creating those special times will give them lasting memories that will carry with them through into adulthood. Some of my favorite memories with my boys are those revolving around cycling together.

That's a really nice $105 bike. I like those Electra frames. She probably loves sitting up there.
Thank you! She really enjoys it, laughing all the way (hey is that a Christmas song?).
I wonder, are Electra's popular in the states? Here we have "Johnny Loco" and "Electra", but these are not immensely popular. Johnny Loco's makes cruisers a bit more euro-spec: with a BSA bottom bracket. Personally, I love the one piece cranks (easy to service).

Spend as much time with the little one's as you can , because thay don't stay little very long . Memories is what life is all about . I'll never forget the times I toted my son behind my bike , we went from one hotel pool deck to another up and down Daytona Beach . He still talks about it 30 years later .
That sounds like some good riding! My wife and I already notice how fast time goes by. Our daughter is about 8 months old now. I am really looking forward to many miles on the road. She can stay about an hour or so, then she does get tired of all the impressions.

A worthy diversion. That child will be in love with cycling for life.
Thanks Matti! Appreciate that!

That's not called a diversion, that's called dedication. You dedicated your efforts to the development of more time spent with your child, and doing something fun that will increase your bond with her. Like Sandman said ^, they do grow up fast. Creating those special times will give them lasting memories that will carry with them through into adulthood. Some of my favorite memories with my boys are those revolving around cycling together.
Thanks OJ! I really appreciate the cycling time with my Daughter. Now that the Elektra is done, with a rear rack for bags, I can concentrate a bit on the build again.

Thanks for the kind words all :praise:

A little update:

I welded the left (and right also) crank (again). I added just 3 or 4 weld spots the first time, so the welds broke.
Now I went to the community garage in a village nearby to weld it with MIG/MAG.

O2Joit2.jpg

UlfufEd.jpg

6NXvIzr.jpg

wpYeiny.jpg

Aj1YmGn.jpg

I am toying with the idea to put some black letters on the tires. Something like "DUNLOP" or from that era.
What do you guys think? Would it be overkill?

I am planning the ride in August from this location in my village (for the rest it is a very boring, but nice, village):
https://www.museumbuurtspoorweg.nl/
To a location in "Vorden" where remnants of the old factory are. And a local shop has a book about the bicycle factory's history, written by the old director and a EmPo bike collector.

My nephew will probably be joining me for some nice shots that'll get me some votes for the competition :bandit:
:grin:

You could get away with it, I think the key is in the letter size. It has to be just right. Dunlop is classic, of course. I have two rear modern Dunlop taillights and I like that it says DUNLOP on them and not some modern brand or some chinese brand or whatever.
Lettering looks really nice on Schwalbe or Thick Brick cream tires for example.
Look at tires from that period and if you like something just copy it. Or come with your own, but I'd try on a computer first. So you can try ideas and decide whether to do it or not.
But as it is now the bike is great.

Latest posts

Back