BO15 Emsbroek & Poesse Ratracer (pg6 ride video!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool idea but I'm not sure that's safe. You've changed the way the fork dropouts are loaded. If you want it to fit closer to the crown, I'd say re-rake the fork with a pipe bender or an old steel car wheel.

Cool idea but I'm not sure that's safe. You've changed the way the fork dropouts are loaded. If you want it to fit closer to the crown, I'd say re-rake the fork with a pipe bender or an old steel car wheel.
I appreciate your concern. I did do some calculations in regards of friction coefficient; my bike does not have a front brake and the dropouts will be locked eventually with a pin securing it in the dropout. The fork length does get 29mm extra length though... did not check that and its steering behavior.

:thumbsup:

The 'form' of your front fork drop outs really fits the build well! I'll let the real engineers on here battle out the 'function' part. :grin:
Your production level has really upped the ante for any future vlogs by ol' OddJob. :doh:
I'm particularly intrigued by the music / lyrics. The language sounds like a mixture of Deutsch and French. Is it your native language in the Netherlands? Callled...?
This build is really a joy to follow for me. I feel like I'm getting a history, language, music appreciation, and engineering and design lesson all in one!

The language spoken in most of the Netherlands is Dutch. Deutsch is German. Very closely related, also to French and English, more common words than you'd think. His accent makes me feel at home, reminds me of my relatives, even though they're Friesian. It's different, but the same? Don't get me started on Flemish!

Very cool and clean solution.
Mockup 2 gets my vote.

The music of your VLOG needs more cowbell like in the beginning of this video though. :D

The 'form' of your front fork drop outs really fits the build well! I'll let the real engineers on here battle out the 'function' part. :grin:
Your production level has really upped the ante for any future vlogs by ol' OddJob. :doh:
I'm particularly intrigued by the music / lyrics. The language sounds like a mixture of Deutsch and French. Is it your native language in the Netherlands? Callled...?
This build is really a joy to follow for me. I feel like I'm getting a history, language, music appreciation, and engineering and design lesson all in one!
Thanks again OJ it is a joy for me to share the project and a bit of history! Not a Dutch patriot here, just very interested in history.
I am going to make some calculations to make sure though. Already checked the strength of the stainless steel (unfortunately no steel) plates that I had lying around, I felt the pavement for enough times before because of stunts with my klunker bike :rofl:
And its fun to see cool ideas on other projects! Like your inner tube grips for example.

The language spoken in most of the Netherlands is Dutch. Deutsch is German. Very closely related, also to French and English, more common words than you'd think. His accent makes me feel at home, reminds me of my relatives, even though they're Friesian. It's different, but the same? Don't get me started on Flemish!
Also in response to OJ's post:

The song is called: Willy Derby - Heidewitzka, it is sung in an older form of Dutch. Heidewitzka (I just found out) means a expression of wonder and amazement. The lyrics are a bit melancholic: He is singing (in the year 1937) about the changes in transport: With the uprising of cars and less use of horses it brings advantages and disadvantages. But: Everyone is in a hurry!
The chorus goes: (litoral translation)

Heidewitzka, come hit the gas! That old hesitating is not of this time.
No distance is a obstacle anymore, when there's gas in the tank.
Heidewitzka, come on hit that gas! That old hesitation is not beneficial anymore!

I live a cycling distance from the German border and have some German neighbours, they are very nice people! In our part of the Netherlands we have a dialect which is called "Twents" (a bit of a "hick" dialect). It is different than Frisian what Matti mentioned, but more related to German. Frisian is a very old language. Personally I don't like the sound of it (sorry Matti :grin: ) I lived in "Friesland Leeuwarden" for 3 years while working there, so know a bit.

62c0160933066310d58ff05ab14a2b7d.jpg

I live in the "hillbillies & rednecks" section...... so howdy :rofl: ;) Frisian is spoken in the red center section (people who go apeshit...).

I haven't had the chance to visit the US and Canada, and get to know its culture... other than movies and such. But these countries are so huge that it would probably take years/forever.

Last edited:
Very cool and clean solution.
Mockup 2 gets my vote.

The music of your VLOG needs more cowbell like in the beginning of this video though. :D

That is one cool song, totally forgot about it! Instantly got more good oldie recommendations: Heart - Barracuda & Kansas - Carry on my....

Last edited:
Lol my family is a combination of "apeshit" and "pushing whales into the sea", with some "aggressive cheese idiots" in the mix.
I've been living in Canada all my 43 years, been from coast to coast, and still have only seen a fraction of the place. If you don't make the specific goal to see it all, you won't. The Netherlands is about 41000 square km, the province I live in, Ontario, is over a million square km.

BRE that map is hilarious! Thank you for the lesson on life in the Netherlands. My ancestors are from Norway and Sweden primarily. We had a chance to visit Norway a few years ago, and saw quite a bit of the southern regions in our 8 days there. Including the farm where my great-great-great grandfather was born.

Rednecks and Hillbillies, eh? :grin:

WIP update

Lets "kick" this door open and give you guys some more unfinished crap to look at :grin:
e8TWWVe.jpg

Last couple of days I played with different fork dropouts, but can't find the right shape I like yet. So still working on that.

Pedals:
The pictures below will give you a good look of the proces, but first some words:
Pedals.
Considering I want to ride this bike to "Vorden" (original location where the factory was) in July/August, I have some time to put more attention for detail in this build.
So I found some old, heavily oxidized aluminum pedals to play with.
I removed, lubricated and replaced the bearings. They go round perfectly!
After covering the bearings "openings" with some tape, thinking about the design for one second :grin: I started hacking them:

Lap1B4b.jpg

Original pedals.
vG4Dct1.jpg

Can you snort the powder I wonder? :crazy2:
pOh5WHC.jpg

fgDkU7l.jpg

G4SFeQg.jpg

Measuring how many I have to "deal" with :rofl: (bad jokes, sorry!)
Psm8xGr.jpg

SQHu60P.jpg

4Qv2wTl.jpg

(Left pedal) Edges removed!
idI6Y1e.jpg

Douglas wood, I like the colour! Unfortunately it will turn grey after some time in the sun.
xjrSjeI.jpg

kZ77GB2.jpg

HM3cCVH.jpg

qu5AwKu.jpg

Sktbct0.jpg

P8Syh7N.jpg

Reminder: Work in progress, the pedals and amount of wood is a bit much right now.

And one question for you guys: I found a old junkyard chaincover and bought it to save it from the trash.
Mechanically it fits the bike perfectly! But I don't know if it fits the looks...... I can cut a bigger hole in the center to keep the "UNION" letters visible on the chainring. Or create some large "speed holes".
So: Chaincover yes, no, or a adapted version?
Y82mRPP.jpg

The chaincover hanging on the cranks.

7T9q0OG.jpg

Lol my family is a combination of "apeshit" and "pushing whales into the sea", with some "aggressive cheese idiots" in the mix.
I've been living in Canada all my 43 years, been from coast to coast, and still have only seen a fraction of the place. If you don't make the specific goal to see it all, you won't. The Netherlands is about 41000 square km, the province I live in, Ontario, is over a million square km.
Many of my friends went there and really liked Ontario! Nice people they said. But being there for 2 weeks, they probably didnt see much considering the size of the place :grin: The Netherlands is small, but even I haven't seen everything. Most tourists go to Amsterdam, but Amsterdam isn't the Netherlands.... if you know what I mean. In my coloured opinion, there are much more beautiful cities/villages to visit. You will probably think the same about Ontario!

BRE that map is hilarious! Thank you for the lesson on life in the Netherlands. My ancestors are from Norway and Sweden primarily. We had a chance to visit Norway a few years ago, and saw quite a bit of the southern regions in our 8 days there. Including the farm where my great-great-great grandfather was born.
You are welcome!
I have been to Norway once. Pretty awesome to visit Norway knowing your ancestors came from there!

I'm with Toro on the 'sans chain guard (that crank and chain ring are too pretty to cover up!) and your build isn't really begging for fenders over the wheels either.

I like the concept of incorporating wood into the pedals. It might be easier if you had the type of pedals that you could just replace the rubber with wood.

Like these:

wood pedals.jpg

Also, if you put a stain on your Douglas (Fir?) wood, and then seal them, which you might want to do anyway for heavy use in all kinds of weather, they should retain the stain color for some time at least. Long enough to get some good photos for the voting booth! :bigsmile:

Those wood pedals are gonna be fun to see you shape up.

I like that chainguard, but it would be a crying shame to hide that killer chainring!!!!

I tried the cover some more times but I am with you guys, going to leave that chaincover off.

In the meanwhile the wood of the pedals broke... it shrunk and split in half...
I went searching in my workshop for more pedals and found some poopy chinese ones. They look exactly like the pedals in Oddjobs last post only without the wood. Instead of the wood it has some black rubbery (very smelly, it smells like burned electronics!) pads.
Also the sheet metal pipe that holds the bearings is the worst quality I have ever seen.

What is the plan:
  1. Use the inner works of the first tough aluminum pedal (shaft, bearings, shims and nuts).
  2. Use the sheet metal plates that hold the blocks from the chinese pedals (they are ok).
  3. Mill a new pipe and bearing races.
  4. Saw/cut some new wooden blocks.
I tend to cycle many hundreds, maybe thousands of miles with the bike so everything must be tough, reliable and look nice!

In the meanwhile I finished the shape of the front dropout plate and mounted it on the front fork. I only need to take a bit of shine of the black paint (anyone knows how to do this without using matt black paint)?

Pictures of the bicycle so far: Enjoy!
rv5H2v1.jpg

Z9ziCfK.jpg

hN4Tqvy.jpg

I am really happy with the stance! :crazy2:

To do:
  • Finish my "jetfighter combustion chamber" lamp in the house. (I have too many projects on my hands) I'll post some pictures here if interested.
  • Mount a chain (probably black or gold/bronze). I do like the look of the BMX type half link chains...
  • Finish the pedals.
  • Work on more details.
  • More secret stuff.

Last edited:
I'm with Toro on the 'sans chain guard (that crank and chain ring are too pretty to cover up!) and your build isn't really begging for fenders over the wheels either.

I like the concept of incorporating wood into the pedals. It might be easier if you had the type of pedals that you could just replace the rubber with wood.

Like these:

View attachment 123838

Also, if you put a stain on your Douglas (Fir?) wood, and then seal them, which you might want to do anyway for heavy use in all kinds of weather, they should retain the stain color for some time at least. Long enough to get some good photos for the voting booth! :bigsmile:
That is a nice tip OJ! But considering the wood shrunk and broke in half on the pedal, maybe I should use an other type of wood (harder/dense wood).
I am surprised the wood shrunk that much, because the plank itself was laying outside for over a year now.

I am going to build pedals like your picture, I really like them, but the quality of these pedals isnt great. The "union" pedals are probably the best to find with this look.

It has a cool vintage look, I love it. The seat and the front lamp really help with that. Wonderful handlebars too. And that holster is great there on the frame.
Thanks Toro!!
There are many sweet class 1 builds, the competition is very good so gotta keep working on this ones details and finishing to keep up :happy:

Latest posts

Back