Elginor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Karfer, I know bikes get scratched and nicked, not much you can do about it. I guess it is because the spray paint is too soft that I was thinking of 'helping it' with some well placed nicks and worn spots.

motopsyco said:
I'd say go for #3 also. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Thanks for the opinions, i was leaning this way, so I masked it last night, I wanted a real aggressive look so they are exagerated.
masked.jpg

sanded snd shot a coat of white wasn't fussy just wanted it covered. I guess a smarter man would have tried this first on a piece of scrap metal, but not many have accused me of being a smarter man.
I also masked the seat to try a technique I found on the web. I have used acrylic paint on the seat. going to paint the inserts white, but first will apply a coat of thinned down Elmers glue.
framewhite.jpg

seatmask.jpg

Should have resultstomorrow, wish me luck.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks GREAT :D I like the color combo too :mrgreen:
Thank always like to get comments.
Day 2, the seat did sort of crackle the paint, but lets just say I didn't like it unless I was doing a Shamu tribute bike. It is already back to black. The big question is the frame, The black is Rustoleum satin black enamel, the white is gloss white enamel, so over the white I sprayed Rustoleum clear lacquer, my thought was the solvents in the lacquer would react lift the white finish leaving part of the black showing through. I sprayed a nice heavy coat, and nothing no reaction at all. Why? Maybe I should have tried another brand? Help me out fellas.

Ok was dying to see paint scheme unmasked.
done2.jpg

I am really pleased to as how it came out, so instead of distressing it I am going to stripe it and start putting it back together. Love to hear from any pinheads as to what color to stripe it, I was thinking purple

Just to confuse the matter what about a blue pinstripe round the scallops then some nice striping for a head badge ?
From the guy who can't decide what to do on his own bike :oops:

Ken Nighplay said:
Ok was dying to see paint scheme unmasked.
done2.jpg

I am really pleased to as how it came out, so instead of distressing it I am going to stripe it and start putting it back together. Love to hear from any pinheads as to what color to stripe it, I was thinking purple
came out nice! i like the exaggerated scallops. nice touch

Time has been flyin' by, but you all know that. Got my stripes on, wish I could have done it free hand but not that good yet.
purple.jpg

Painted my crank and an old set of pedals
crank2.jpg

I had painted the backside last year to look like aged copper and decided to keep that
crank1.jpg

Now I have to start putting it all together

I really like the purple accent stripes.

They vary, but rattle cans should really have a week before you handle them. I always throw it together right away, gives it a "used" look. :mrgreen:
Every time I see this thread, the name reminds me of Elsinore, 4 hundred and something cc's of matched and polished near certain death that tried repeatedly to kill me during my late twenties. The guy I sold it to, like the guy who sold it to me, outweighed me by about a hundred lbs or so, and didn't seem to have that problem. :lol:

Thanks for the comments, and Deorman, hopefully I 'll be safe without a motor on this. I neede to get some work done this weekend so assembled most of it. Changed to white grips, need to stripe the fork, and find the bolt for crank.
assemble2.jpg

assemble1.jpg

The seat feels great, though to ride it I will need to raise it to ride it, it has a lot of bounce. I like the feel of the bars. I think the crank and pedals are perfect. It has the hot rod look That I was after but don't be surprised if I repaint it in a faux rust, just like that look too much. I have truss rods for this but I can't find the bracket, hope it turns up.

Man, that white REALLY makes it pop!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Man, that white REALLY makes it pop!!!!
Yes it does, even more so in person. 2 days left.I am off from work because I had some surgery yesterday. I was able to get the crank on and altough I had bought a nice new siver chain on ebay I had to put an old chain on because some one (me)forgot to look and see how many links it came with. Masked of the forks for striping and when I unmasked it peeled some of the black off. So some small problems not insurmountable just little frustrations. I did take it for about a mile ride today and except for the seat height rode great. I think the fork is slighly tweaked, all the more reason to change to a springer but that will have to wait.

rider.jpg

Please don't stick a generic Schwinn-style spring fork on this beauty. A good bench, couple of clamps and a piece of pipe can straighten it out. :| At least get a less common springer. :?

deorman said:
Please don't stick a generic Schwinn-style spring fork on this beauty. A good bench, couple of clamps and a piece of pipe can straighten it out. :| At least get a less common springer. :?
No I won't do that. I have a monark
Springer and CWC springer that I was thinking of.

Latest posts

Back