Elginor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not great at bodywork, but ive done enough to appreciate how hard it musta been to make that ridge on the top tube strait annd perfect! great job! 8)

I already like her on that primer color, great job!

PS: Do you know what my wife would say if I show her last pic! "Ohhh I like those shoes!" :roll:

Thanks for all the comments, this is part of the build off that I enjoy, the encouragement from other members. I have been working out of town and will be for the next several weeks so not much getting done on bike except ideas in my head.
I did get the frame Primed in black
blfframe.jpg

I keep waffling on the finish though, originally I was going to go with a satin black with gloss black scallops (sort of a ghost effect) with gloss black and charcoal pinstripes, I wanted something very subtle. But then I keep seeing rust, and I am thinking of a faux patina, just to show some of my painting skills. Then I am thinking something old school, non metallic maroon, ivory scallops and maybe and orange pinstripe maybe slightly distressed.
I just think this part of the frame is begging for some nice striping
memframe.jpg

Love the black primer coat on this already cool frame. Can't wait to see the final color finish.

Ken Nighplay said:
...I keep waffling on the finish though, originally I was going to go with a satin black with gloss black scallops (sort of a ghost effect) with gloss black and charcoal pinstripes, I wanted something very subtle. But then I keep seeing rust, and I am thinking of a faux patina, just to show some of my painting skills. Then I am thinking something old school, non metallic maroon, ivory scallops and maybe and orange pinstripe maybe slightly distressed....

Yup,
you too have got to build three bikes... (or more...)
:wink:

Well finally got the frame wet sanded and ready for paint, if weather cooperates tomorrow I will have it base coated in satin black. Sticking with this color for now, also started thinking about parts, was originally going to keep it a skip tooth, but found something in the shed from a few years back;
CIMG0225.jpg

can't get much better for a drivetrain, just have to find the bottome bracket and get a conversion kit.
I had a thought a while back about building a high tech cruiser, but never got around to doing it so maybe...

If you're going to go high tech, NOW would be the time.....Body work is slick, NICE job.

Thanks Kota, I am sure it would get some cyclists lycra shorts in a bunch, but I am OK with that.
Weather held out so I btoke out the EPA approved spray booth
spraybooth.jpg

And got some paint down
paintedframe.jpg

forgot to work on the fork so got that primed
fork.jpg

I will be going back out of town but when I get back I will paint scallops in gloss black maybe some pearl on top of that and I want to put dark gray pinstripe on and then I can start to put it together. I am hoping to make a custom tank out of wood and fiberglass, painiting it to match bike. I have seen a lot of great builds with authentic patina but I have been researching some faux finishes and would like to take a new bike and make it look much older with some old parts and painted to look old, but that is a winter project.

OK just got back from a little vacation and I realize 2 months have gone by now so started picking parts for the frame. First up is The seat. I love springer seats but want to do something alittle different, so goint with this
CIMG0571.jpg

I bought this last year on ebay, absolutey hated the finishso I sanded it all off
CIMG0574.jpg

Then I painted it different brown
CIMG0575.jpg

and it has sat since then. Tomorrow I am going to paint it gloss black and satin black same paint scheme as the frame. I painted the fork and stem. Then started masking off the frame for the scallops, hope to get the pics up tomrrow.

Ok wanted a different style of handlebars, my brother just put some mary style MTB bars on his 29er so I got some cheap knock offs
bars.jpg

These will be painted gloss black likthe stem.also found some grips that I think will go nice, torpedo style but 2 toned.
grips.jpg

Ken Nighplay said:
Ok wanted a different style of handlebars, my brother just put some mary style MTB bars on his 29er so I got some cheap knock offs
bars.jpg

These will be painted gloss black likthe stem.also found some grips that I think will go nice, torpedo style but 2 toned.
grips.jpg

cheap knock offs! yes!!!!! i cant wait to see the seat. then its done. a whole lot of new parts. :| but will it look old? hahah. keep on keeping on!

scott brownsey said:
looking good
Thanks Scott, and Snydur I think ultimately it will look new, with old styling, kind of like taking a '68 Camaro and putting 20" rims and low profile tires.
I got the bars stem and fork painted and on the frame, I should have waited because the paint is still soft.
mock2seat.jpg

and the seat painted
mock2.jpg

at this point I thought I should put wheels on to see if the stance looks good
mock3.jpg

I like it, but trying to keep from nicking the paint is driving me crazy! Also not a whole lot of difference between the gloss and satin paint.
I am thinking my options are; 1-change color of scallops to a charcoal gray 2-scrap scallops altogether or 3-go to a cream color and distess the finish on it (maybe a crackle finish) to make it look older. I am open to suggestions

Thanks Gdcast and Rodderz, I am leaning that way too. I am toying with the idea of spraying on the scallops and then spraying a clear laquer on top to lift the finish and then wet sand it and clear it again to give it a crackle finish. Also wondering if I should 'age' the black a little and throw on the original skiptooth sprocket. Decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back