Elginor

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF #6' started by Ken Nighplay, May 1, 2011.

1. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

This is what I will be working with this year. Bought it almost year ago and have just let is sit for this build off. I have some ideas brewing but not exactly sure what the finished product will look like. The first thing will be to have the frame sand blasted to see if there is any damage (has some heavy pitting on parts of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If anyone can help identify year and model it would be greatly appreciated.

2. garagegoon

garagegoon

0   0   0

Re: Elgin

Dig it... good luck!!!

3. herr_rudolf

herr_rudolf

0   0   0

Looks like a ratrod already! Nice frame and fork.
    Good luck and have some fun!

4. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Back story on the bike. when I first saw this style of frame, I knew it was the one I would search for, but never saw one for sale. One sunday morning I get up early and looked through the 'for sale' section and there it was, not sure if I was the first to see it, but I could not believe it was still for sale.
    Have been very anxious to do something to it this build off, and ideas were floating around my head for weeks, but basically I want to build it as if I had found an old car that I always wanted. I want to Keep the skiptooth drivetrain, but upgrade it. Maybee aluminum rims. Have a soft spot for hot rods with satin black paint, but also thinking of a satin burgundy and cream scallops. I guess I want to aproach this with a WWCFD? attitude. What would Chip Foose Do? Keep the cool stuff about the bike but sort of upgrade it.

5. Double Nickle

Double Nickle American Vintage Bicycle Supply Moderator

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

NICE>>>GOOD LUCK

6. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Bike is apart, just need to remove headbadge and I can drop it off at blaster.
    [​IMG]
    The first thing that strikes you about the frame is the curved seat tube, but I love the way the seat and chain stays are joined to rest of the frame.

7. pick

pick

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Love the curved seat tube! This frame just screams coolness! Great start! 8)

8. fsjaak

fsjaak

0   0   0

SANDBLAST! Are you crazy? That paint patina is worth more than ten of those frames. Sorry, had too much sugar today. I'm just saying...

9. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

It is more than patina, I am hoping that when I get it back there are no holes in the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the serial number if anyone can give me info?

10. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Re: Elgin--now known and Elginor

Since I was going to do a bike influenced by Chip Foose I decided I would also honor my mom, Elinor. I will take some styling cues from the car Eleanor, not sure how far to try to push it, but decided to at least go with the color scheme of dark gray and black accents.

11. Green Dragon

Green Dragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Re: Elgin--now known and Elginor

except the original ( classic ) true Eleanor was bright YELLOW .....

~ green " remakes suck " dragon . :arrow:

12. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Got frame and fork back from blasting, well worth $20.
    [​IMG]
    But I will have some bondo work to do
    [​IMG]
    I also want to do some ofther 'modifications' with the mud so its all good

13. herr_rudolf

herr_rudolf

0   0   0

Wow...
    How deep is the pitting in the metal?

14. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

It is deeply pitted, but I knew that from the start. One of the reasons I had it sand blasted was I didnt think I could get to all the rust with a wire wheel.

15. bikebum1975

bikebum1975

0   0   0

Now that has to be one of the all time sexiest frames I have ever seen. I dig the curves on it look forward to watching the progress with this good luck.

16. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Didn't have much time this weekend to work on frame, this weekend. Trying to meke a nice weekend for my wife for Mothers Day. I did get to start putting some body filler on.
    [​IMG]

One of my thoughts was to put a ridge on the top bar to mimick the ridge on the Mustang hood.
    [​IMG]

My goal for the week isto finish u the frame and get it i primer, and start to do a mock up.

17. slick

slick

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

So you are the one who scored on this bike! I remember it. Dingo and I were wondering who bought it and were pretty much fighting over it. I finally found one right here a few weeks back and bought it so that shows how hard they are to find. About 2 years? Anyway great start for a build!

18. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Glad that you found one too. Like I said I was amazed that I was the first to grab it.

19. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Re: Elginor updated 5/19

Finally had some time to work on frame. Had lots of time to think about paint scheme, and unfortunatly I'm not feeling the shiny new look. So I may go in another direction with the paint. Some of the things I did to the frame;

Filled in the stamped on drop outs, I didn't think they went with the workmanship of the rest of the frame
    [​IMG]

I also addeda crease on the center of the top tube, just cause I thought it looked good with the lines of the rest of the bike
    [​IMG]

So today I got it sanded cleaned and primed, I will clean up the rest of the frame with some glazing putty and prime again with a high fill primer and then it will be ready for finishing.
    [​IMG]

20. Ken Nighplay

Ken Nighplay

0   0   0

Slowly making progress, busy with work now, but trying to do a little every week. I just love the craftmanship of this frame.
    Sanded and finished 'body work'
    [​IMG]
    and sprayed a light coat of primer,
    [​IMG]
    This pic shows the ridge on the top tube that I added and I am very happy with the way it came out
    [​IMG]
    Hope to wet sand and the prime and put my basecoat on,by the weekend, and then start to put some parts on. I am not big on fenders, but I have an old set of peaked fenders I may put on, but would have to either bob it or lengthen it so it wraps around farther