ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just talking about it from a visual standpoint and not strength.

Newbie here, but I have a thought for you...
The look of that spring and struts is flat out awesome! But it does need rockers to really make it complete. Seems like it'd be a long shot that your connection point/bracket would stand up to much weight (for long anyway)..so, what if you add rockers but leave the wheel attached to the fork ?
It'd be a total faux springer, but at least have the mechanical look of a complete springer ?

The look of that spring and struts is flat out awesome! But it does need rockers to really make it complete. Seems like it'd be a long shot that your connection point/bracket would stand up to much weight (for long anyway)..so, what if you add rockers but leave the wheel attached to the fork ?
It'd be a total faux springer, but at least have the mechanical look of a complete springer ?

I've actually considered that, and may try it out to see what it looks like.

Thanks for your input and the compliment!!

I was thinking of this very idea ^ for One-Liner. Because of the TRM conversion tank, I would probably just use a faux springer set-up.

Brett, I think your leaf spring fork looks great! You know you've done well when we start 'nit picking' it apart! And remember, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...so don't be surprised if you see something like this pop up on another build....jus sayin..:wink1:

Thanks Luke! Miss seeing you in action!

What if you schedule the next big build off for "your" summer? Then us "up over" can appreciate even more your efforts in previous build-offs!! [emoji15][emoji5][emoji120]
That is why we usually have a 'Winter' Build-Off too! ;)

Luke.

Brett, I think your leaf spring fork looks great! You know you've done well when we start 'nit picking' it apart! And remember, imitation is the greatest form of flattery...so don't be surprised if you see something like this pop up on another build....jus sayin..:wink1:

Thanks, OJ!

I've always wanted to do one of these leaf-springers! And I have to fess up and give props to the one that pushed me over the edge and ACTUALLY build it....Travis (American Vintage Bicycle Supply)! He built one last year and it gave me that last little push to make it happen!

Nit-Pickers, keep it up! I need to get more done, but sometimes, another's eye helps to make a good thing better! And I wanna be better!! ;)

Taking a break from actual work on ElgIndian...kinda feeling it out...what does it need...anything need changing...that kind of thing.

I went to see a good friend of mine, a former art professor and HUGE vintage bike nut, and told him about my build. He was very excited to see it and offer input. The BIG thing that came of the visit is he mentioned that, if he had any parts that I may need, to let him know! BAM! This might just be the deal that puts this build over the top...at least for me!

He's off to a bike rally/swap this weekend, but you can bet your bippy I'll be visiting him next week!!

Stay tuned.....

Took a little trip to the in-laws specifically to ride a section of the new Virginia Capital Trail that runs from Jamestown to Richmond(Cap2Cap). Rain prohibited a Saturday ride, but we got up early this morning and rode 12 miles. Actually took ElgIndian on its first real ride.

7321e02ff65d0d34b7b43a954c6b40e1.jpg

...and a little video to prove it...

The only event on the ride was one of my pedals decided to lose a clip. The pedal eventually blew apart, so I ended up riding about 3 miles on just the axle/pin!

f0fb70a5665e387178e43bce64e71187.jpg

Great ride though, really comfortable ride. The seat spring actually dampens some of the larger bumps! I do have some small items to iron out, but it's a good ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Always good to see a BO bike in action and being used!
Looking good brother!

Nice vid! The bike is coming looking very finished....be interesting to see what 'touches' you add, if any....

These bikes are perfect for rail trail / bike path rides. Comfort, style, and history all rolled into one!

Very cool video. Looks like a smooth ride. Really love the spring fork combo. In the video was the pedal squeeking? I have one that is about to explode and it sqeaks every once in a while. I just put the end back over the axle and it goes away, but....

Latest posts

Back