ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, OJ!

I really want this bike to look period correct (-ish!). I'm torn as to whether I should leave it alone for a "barn-fresh" look or really do it up and paint/powdercoat with period-correct colors...black/burgundy, olive/orange, orange/cream, burgundy/cream....for that "restored perfection" appearance.

I guess time (and my wallet) will determine the outcome!

I'm torn as to whether I should leave it alone for a "barn-fresh" look or really do it up and paint/powdercoat with period-correct colors...black/burgundy, olive/orange, orange/cream, burgundy/cream....for that "restored perfection" appearance.
If you plan on riding it very much, it has been my experience that you will enjoy using the 'barn fresh' bike much more than the 'restored perfection' bike. It spoils your bicycle freedom when your worried about scratching that perfect paint.

If you plan on riding it very much, it has been my experience that you will enjoy using the 'barn fresh' bike much more than the 'restored perfection' bike. It spoils your bicycle freedom when your worried about scratching that perfect paint.

That's the way I'm leaning! I want to ride this one!!

Well, I got the seat mounted using the other end of the Model A main spring...cut and trimmed to allow the leading end to be anchored to the frame using a U-bolt, then clamping the seat rods to the spring via a mountain bike seat clamp piece...

13b285e908e277563c66dd6749686db4.jpg

2e04d2f361cf87e9ecd08e08dfd223cc.jpg

"Finished" result...

464556475f7a0338270092d500cd32b1.jpg

Pressed a piece of aluminum into the front fork spring for the strut rods...

821a6eba54b7ce584834e398dcc6c99f.jpg

f831337384fba49e599b14fb062fdf83.jpg

Then I installed the grips...

a8f9c4802013f9925b66142ed02ca5ef.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the form I will take to the show this weekend...

09994bff060e898ab8f254b22c9d4f67.jpg

I just slap ran out of time!! But I WILL be back on it next week!!

On the major plus side...IT'S A RIDER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your bike looks great, and you are so far along that a weekend off won't hurt anything! I like your use of the model A spring!

First rider of the Build Off, or have I not been reading enough? Your bike looks cool. Dig it.

First rider of the Build Off, or have I not been reading enough? Your bike looks cool. Dig it.

Don't know if it's the FIRST rider, but I'll claim it!! [emoji12]

Thanks, glad someone besides me likes it!! [emoji15]

Last edited:
Your bike looks great, and you are so far along that a weekend off won't hurt anything! I like your use of the model A spring!

Thanks Ape!!

My short term goal was to have all the hardware in place so I old enter it in the upcoming bike show. Now my only hope is they have an "under construction" award!! [emoji5]

Agreed! My rule of thumb is the bike should always look older than you are! :21: That way it makes the rider look younger, or at least like you act younger anyway....:dance2:

Looking great Brent ! It decently has a period correct look to me . That fork is turned out great can't wait to see it with the brake /truss rods on the ol boy [emoji106]

I'm back from a whirlwind tour to Steel in Motion "Hot Rods & Guitars" show/drags, and it was awesome with one exception....I came home with too many bikes!!

While waiting in line for the gate to reopen, I got ElgIndian down off the truck and installed the strut rods on my fork/spring assembly!

6cb45e9191388cf9eb1f4bf39dc51e58.jpg

38665ad4d604f21fd4c3d824af3927f4.jpg

bf41264e6627f84b3946a3888bf10ebf.jpg

I really like the look!! I may ride it a bit and see how it does before I try the rockers for actual spring action. Also, I'd have to fabricate a different (stronger) spring-to-fork mount...

What do you guys and gals think???

I think it looks fine without actual rockers, except it seems the bar stock you used is a bit thin compared to the forks and spring.

Latest posts

Back