Elgin Twin! Update 10-22 IT'S FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Elgin Twin!

I know it can be fixed, just a matter of how much more $$$ it will take. Luckily the shrouds cover the repairs so it won't have to look perfect...

Post some pictures of the damage, the Westfield frames were made differently than the Murray frames and are probably easier to repair in general with the tubes pinned and brazed to the sail panel instead of the elaborate formings used by Murray.

Usually head damage results in bent frame tubes (and cracked shrouds) which are hard to get right but with the shroud on, your bike looks to be in good alignment with the front wheel spaced properly with respect to the downtubes.

Elgin Twin!

The shroud itself is broken. Both sides in the lower portion. It's been brazed a long time ago. I'll strip it this week and post photos after.

Thanks Phil!

So here is the year and a half later update. It's finished I guess. The forks and fenders I found to use on this bike were girls 4 star parts. I kept the original paint on them and painted the bike to match. As I mentioned earlier, the head shroud was cracked. I sandblasted the whole frame and brought it to a skilled metal worker. All the previous braze repair was removed and redone much better. One side came out a little uglier than the other, but it's all covered by the tin pieces.

Then I brought the frame and shrouds to a friend of mine who's dad works at a body shop. He got it painted up for me. Oddly enough, the color used wound up being a 60's or 70's Volvo color. PRIOR the metal sparkle that is used in all colors today. It's a perfect match to the original maroon fender braces AND to another maroon '43 Elgin I have. Perfect.

New hoops were needed and yeshoney supplied me a pair of original paint units. Laced to original finned rear hub. Front hub was found to be cracked, so I picked up a blackout Muscleman front hub, sanded it smooth and painted it maroon. Laced that and had them trued up. One NOS Allstate tire and one used one.

Now for a seat. The seat that came on the bike was ugly! It was a vinyl covered Messinger saddle. Upon further inspected, it looked like it was a recover of some sort. So I figured no big loss and I cut the outer fabric off. Could not believe it...original Elgin branded seat blelow!!!!!

Grips are from ifitsfreeitsforme. Great grips so go buy from him! Original chrome was cleaned up as best as I could. Guess that's about it. Enjoy the pics.

Nice paint match to a 40's frame:

Frame Repairs:

Hub Paint...this was rattle can so it's just ok:

Fork and Fenders:

Thanks guys.

And yeah Walker, the wheels are great! I think all my builds have had their wheels in your shop. Got at least two more sets for you to do. :lol:

Man that really turned out beautiful.
I missed the completion update on this one.

Latest posts

Back