Elgin skip tooth ballooner w/ MUCH BETTER PICS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:D

I found this one on craigslist. This is the crappy cell phone pic the seller sent me.

its an Elgin ( craigslist ad had it listed as a Velgin .... I knew better , you know, the big v on the head badge in the background :lol: )

Its got a cool headlight , drop center wheels ( not sure what hubs its got as of yet, too funky & greasy )
dog leg crank , skip tooth , peaked fenders , slack adjuster rear loading drop outs , early style fender braces. The serial # is on the bottom bracket.

Parts is parts!

I will post better pics and the serial # when I get a chance ( they were cutting down a huge tree @ my storeage so there was way too much comotion to snap any good shots when I was dropping it off )

more coming soon..... :mrgreen:

Re: Elgin skip tooth ballooner

8)

Here are some better detail pics......

The tires are dead dead dead! They are 26 X 2.125 on drop center rims
I also cleaned some grease off the rear coaster brake lever with my fingers...... it's a Morrow rear hub.
Anyone out there know what year it might be ?

1st dibs on chaingaurd(if in my price range?)

Cool parts 4 sho

.................(if its 4 sale)............

As a matter of fact , I was thinknin about partin this ol girl out. Send me a pm :wink:

I saw that ad, tried calling both phone numbers a couple times with no answer, good score!

idiotboy said:
I saw that ad, tried calling both phone numbers a couple times with no answer, good score!

They were on vacation , back now, she has a mens canti Columbia and a few girls columbias too. I had luck with her ph # , not his

Your bike is an early postwar Elgin. The prewar Elgin branding was still used on Sears bicycles manufactured during and after WW2 until Sears re-branded their bicycle line as J.C. Higgins in early 1946. This bike is one of the less common Westfield supplied bicycles rather than the more common Murray-Ohio built models. Serial numbers for Westfield built bikes are easy to decode for a production date and this bike was one of the last built in 1945.

Latest posts

Back