Elgin Offroad: Klunked Out BMX Hybrid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!
WP_20141120_11_30_27_Pro_zpsa764760d.jpg

Wheel builds are complete. Using Araya 26x1.75's with Strumey Archer Drum Brakes front (XFd) and rear (XRd). This will be single speed, so need to obtain a freewheel for the rear. For tires, I wanted an aggressive, more modern, tire, so going with Hutchinson Spiders. They have an aggressive tread and are a bit larger filling out the fork and frame. These tires recommend mounting the front and rear in opposite directions. The logos will then appear on opposite sides of the bike...should be interesting. :)

Sounds rad. I'm running an X-FD/X-RDF combo on an INB; couldn't be happier. Be advised that the X-RDF is about the only rear hub i've ever seen with a 9x1mm axle. Seemed underbuilt, bt i've had no problems after a few years and many hard miles under my 250+/- rear-end.... i think a singlespeed version at 110mm should be fine, but i'd fully expect to bend the axle if it were spaced out with a multispeed freewheeel on on it...

Love the build. I see you're doing something similar to what I just did to my '55 Columbia (see the thread below yours). I have to say, it was almost impossible to find an X-RD brake in single speed form. I had to email Sturmey-Archer to get a vendor that had one in stock. By the way, the brakes work great and look awesome on the bike. If you plan on really going off road with the bike the one thing I'd recommend is a new [stronger] headset as I've learned the original one isn't strong enough to take the hits.

Cool '55 Columbia Bomber chucchinchilla! Yep, very similar. I'm probably going to use some post war Schwinn truss rods too! :)

I've noticed a significant increase in the stiffness of the fork with the truss rods compared to other bikes I have w/o them. It also increases the cool factor a fair amount as well (at least with me).

Grips - These are very similar to Brooks leather grips at a third of the cost! Leather and not vinyl. :)

For the seat post, I wanted a straight one. The frame uses a 5/8 diameter seat post, so realizing that is the same size that Schwinn posts taper to (see pic), I decided to employ the old Klunker idea of using a solid aluminum rod, then I'll use Schwinn / Mesinger seat clamp guts to snugly attach probably a honey brown Brooks saddle to the aluminum rod withouth having to worry about shims, etc. :)

Seat post fits perfectly and cost me all of $5 :)

Latest posts

Back