Elgin in a winter melt down

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So I looked out the window and seen that the weather was looking pretty good (warm) for Chicago. And decided to take a ride. It's been awhile since I rode this bike due to the salt on the streets. I'm going to be riding up north to visit my mom. But the cool part is I'll be riding threw the city. The fun part is I'll be riding up the lakefront towards the end. Pay attention to the skyline and where the Sears tower is in the pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides fixing like four flats on the bike in the past year I haven't done much to it or needed to... It is tricky fixing a flat tire on this bike but besides that it performs like a new bike...

The neighborhood I'm riding through right now is called Pilsen. It is 3 miles southwest of downtown Chicago. The east side of halsted street is one of Chicago's largest art districts.

Besides the cool Aztec calendar on every corner this picture shows how thin the tanks are on these bikes...

A close-up of the bike shows the clean lines of the fenders over the forks and the picture does not even come close to showing the awesome lines of this church steeple...

Right here at this point I am over the Chicago river that runs into Lake Michigan. I am directly across the Sears tower (to me the tallest building in the world).

I kinda like the idea of being able to rent a bike to ride but I never have... If I was to visit another city I would definitely rent one... (Note: Sears tower).

Buckingham Fountain is a Chicagolandmark in the center of Grant Park. Dedicated in 1927, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. It operates from April to October, with regular water shows and evening color-light shows. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.

Before taking this picture I just stood here listening to Pink Floyd "wish you where here" reflecting on all the family and friends that are no longer with me. And the outcome of that deep thought was to always live life to its fullest...

Because of waves splashing up against the shoreline the trail was partially blocked. So I had to carry the bike a little. Fully dressed the bike weighs in at 52lbs.

When I got home the news reported that two teenagers climbed on to the ice and it broke off and floated into the lake. They had to be rescued by the Chicago dive crew... "Some people"...

Taking this picture I kept having to look over my shoulder because I know skipton (a fellow RRB member)might come flying around this corner. I ride from the south going north. He rides north going south...

This is a mixture of mud, sand, and ice. At this point it's like 15 miles into the ride and the bike is covered in every kind of element on the trail...

Kinda like a little wonderland. Just last week they had the polar plunge here... Everyone jumping in the water...

And if you look way on the far right side that's the Sears tower. Not sure which way I'm taking back home...

Latest posts

Back