Elgin Falcon? Blackhawk? Swap Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the annual fall swap meet here in Minnesota. I picked up two bicycles at the swap. This is one of them. I know it is an Elgin Falcon or Blackhawk. Due to the repaint and missing parts I don't think I can specify which model exactly it is.

Any information regarding what year it is or missing incorrect parts would be greatly appreciated.

I was trying to figure out the year based on the serial number but it looks like it starts with an "I" which I couldn't find on any of the charts.

Thanks, Jay

6a1860bc2fa4bb82ce59af7301a8880c_zps9e094759.jpg

4120e11455f45dd7290851cd4d845db5_zps8f667934.jpg

83e4cbcc710145d64dc5b3d0d8eeef3c_zpsb7c0168b.jpg

61cf093be2ed2aa524a5c2253ddd0315_zps1c06ce33.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I just went back out and looked and it appears that the first letter of the serial number is an, "L" not an "I". If that is correct it would appear the bike is from 1933.

Thanks for all of the input. Being that it's been repainted and missing the original fenders I'm not sure if I'll ever know exactly which model it was. I had considered trying to strip some of the repaint off to see if the fork might be chrome plated underneath. Otherwise I'm not sure how I might know.

So it sounds like the fenders aren't original. Obviously it's missing the headlight, horn or siren and the speedometer. Ofcoure the tank is missing. :( I'm also thinking it should have crossbrace handlebars, right? I had also only seen one other example that had the wide flat kickstand like this instead of the rear drop stand. The kickstand looks well matched with the rear rack but it still seems odd that more don't have it.

Thoughts?

You should post this on thecabe and put ATTN Catfish. He is the Westfield/Columbia guru and can decipher the origin and possibly the model.

Joe

I have one just like this with ss# I 79994. Mine has red rain gutter fenders under an overspray, so falcon but not sure of year either. '34-'35?

WD-40 bath, seat cover, bigger tires. GTG.:thumbsup:

(Or paint it black.:grin:)

I agree, I really like the paint with the white strips all over it, I might just copy it for one of my own projects.

Latest posts

Back