Elegant/classy BMX stems?

Discussion in '26" BMX CRUISERS' started by mornview, Mar 13, 2019.

1. mornview

mornview

Strange thread, I know. Out of all the sub-forums on here I'm guessing this is the most appropriate place to ask.

There's a world of BMX stems out there so I'm helping someone can help me sort through them. I'm looking for a threaded/quill type BMX stem. My wife's main commuter is an old Schwinn Co-ed set-up very much like a Dutch cruiser bike - very elegant, lots of leather, cream tires, etc.

For a variety of reasons we're looking to switch to a BMX bars/stem combo this season. I already have some bars in mind. But most BMX stems are purposefully pretty brute looking. I know elegance/classiness is all subjective, so feel free to throw out any recommendations you have :). Thanks!

2. pedal4416

pedal4416

I’m an old logo DK stem fan myself. They’re going up in price lately...

Dizzle Problems likes this.
  3. RustyGold

RustyGold

Well...I don't know about elegant, but definitely less agressive. I can imagine one stripped and polished would look pretty good... Schwinn YO!

Yo.jpg

1Yo.jpg

21Yo.jpg

...a couple SR stems, the 423/424 (came on Mongeese, among others)...

423-424 SR.jpg
    ...another SR...don't know the model number, more of a mountain bike stem, I think...

SR.jpg

Jason

Dizzle Problems likes this.
  4. RustyGold

RustyGold

There are a few cool looking double clamp mountain bike stems, but...then you would need to find some double clamp, or at least unknurled, bars.

Chuy likes this.
  5. Chuy

Chuy

I know you said BMX, but this one is a older mountain bike (slingshot) stem. Nice double clamp stem and round edges, funny I didn't like it at first cause I didn't think it was masculine enough for the bike. Still don't think it is, but it grew on me and I like it now.

It's an SR MTS 101 stem, 21.1 Quill

Attached Files:

RustyGold and Dizzle Problems like this.
  6. mornview

mornview

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far; I already feel like I have a few ideas.

But I really like this one ... any idea what the handlebars are? They look pretty darn similar to what I was planning to go with (Nitto B708). If I could ttact down that stem/bars combo I think that'd be it.

Chuy likes this.
  7. Chuy

Chuy

Bars I got off of eBay, 1971 Yamaha Enduro Motorcycle bars, around $25 shipped.
    You can basically run any old vintage moto bars w/this stem as long it has a 7/8's clamping area.

RustyGold likes this.
  8. AndyA

AndyA

Dear Sir Mornview:
    You didn't say why you like BMX handlebars, but there are 1" bars that have similar looks. And there is a wide range of styles available for 1" stems that aren't brutish. Examples of 1" handlebars pictured below are a Wall 19.5 X 6.5 X 1, a Sunlite 27.5 X 9 X 1, and a "pseudo BMX" type bar common on kids bikes.
    Have fun, Andy
    hb1.jpg hb2.jpg hb3.jpg

9. macncheese

macncheese

The VO klunker bars are 25.4 so you could use a road stem with a removable faceplate. Maybe the 3T Mutant?